Musky shop

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Musky shop

Post by Danoutdoors »

Anyone know what sort of import duties you can get hit with from ordering from over there? Thanks
royboy
Chub
Chub

Re: Musky shop

Post by royboy »

Here in Ireland its roughly 34% on the total cost including shipping fees !
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

20% VAT + a fee from Royal Mail for collecting that VAT (£8.50 when I last ordered, but that was some time ago).
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Thanks both, will see what happens they are on their way 👀👍
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Jun 11 2019 13:21 -
20% VAT + a fee from Royal Mail for collecting that VAT (£8.50 when I last ordered, but that was some time ago).
Duty on the total including the air mail costs then vat on the merchandise vat on airmail cost and vat on the duty + Royal Mail ransom fee !
You made it sound all roses steve :tongues:
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Blimey! These lures better pay me back in pike 😱
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Tue Jun 11 2019 16:31 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Jun 11 2019 13:21 -
Duty on the total including the air mail costs then vat on the merchandise vat on airmail cost and vat on the duty + Royal Mail ransom fee !
You made it sound all roses steve :tongues:
Yep, that's why I don't order much from the States these days. Around 2007 it was so cheap it was even worth ordering stuff that I could get over here, but it certainly isn't now :cry:
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. »

Those were the days my friend.....we thought they'd never end

Also quite a few of the shops would mark the packages in away that you paid nothing....was it under £30 was free other than delivery. All of a sudden on mass they suddenly seemed as if they could not be bothered with the UK market, many stopped posting here altogether. Could have been when Obama took over...well why not he is blamed for everything else :roll:
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

The big companies won`t undervalue any packages anymore .
The likes of Fedex , UPS , etc . are now obliged to report to the customs in the delivery country .
15 yrs back you wouldn`t get your parcel until you paid the duty plus handling costs to the courier on delivery .

In the last 12months I have received 3 parcels with no demands .
But the sting in the tail is a month later I received demands from Customs and Excise!
Worked out at 34% extra all in !

Thing I don`t understand is they also charge a levy on the shipping costs ?
markd
Roach
Roach

Post by markd »

If they didn’t include shipping costs in the calculations then on the invoice the goods could be valued at £1 and they could make it up to the true value in the shipping costs, thereby escaping the duty. (hope that made sense🙂)
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

markd wrote: Wed Jun 12 2019 14:34 -
If they didn’t include shipping costs in the calculations then on the invoice the goods could be valued at £1 and they could make it up to the true value in the shipping costs, thereby escaping the duty. (hope that made sense🙂)
What if the sender from the states loses the parcel in transit ? He wouldn't be able to claim back say $100 dollars worth of lures if he's marked them down :thumbs:
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Here’s some pics of an old box, good old days!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
markd
Roach
Roach

Post by markd »

Tony McTaggart wrote: Thu Jun 13 2019 01:09 -
What if the sender from the states loses the parcel in transit ? He wouldn't be able to claim back say $100 dollars worth of lures if he's marked them down :thumbs:
Not saying it happens a great deal when it’s business to customer, it’s more just in theory, the authorities covering their back basically.
There’s also the fact that shipping charges are just more revenue going to the senders country (the bill usually paid locally by the shipper) so the uk govt want their cut of that too.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

markd wrote: Thu Jun 13 2019 05:43 -
Tony McTaggart wrote: Thu Jun 13 2019 01:09 -
Not saying it happens a great deal when it’s business to customer, it’s more just in theory, the authorities covering their back basically.
There’s also the fact that shipping charges are just more revenue going to the senders country (the bill usually paid locally by the shipper) so the uk govt want their cut of that too.
I get what you mean buddy.....I've asked many a time for lure companies in the states to mark goods down or I've opted out of global shipping programs where tax is paid upfront.....I still always get hammered lol
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Back in the day I actually got a MinnKota Motor and 2 folding boat seats in without getting caught for any extras !
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

This was a couple of weeks ago and wasn't to bothered as not a chance of getting those lures here.
Pretty much explains the tax.
20190613_114528.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Costs; My rule of thumb is that whatever the list price in $US it will cost the same in £Sterling when you have it in your hand.

The hike was because of the change in the EU customs processing its the same throughout the EU not just in the UK.

Now you know the cost of remaining.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Had my letter arrive requesting payment for import vat and clearance fee amounting to £25
My overall order including postage was £260 reading through the posts I’m expecting customs n excise duty, I hope not but am prepared for it, we shall see
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

That should be all you pay....the letter is for import tax and handling fee....
Not that bad if you get what you wanted imo.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Yes as you say earlier Tony it’s stuff I can’t get over here, I treat the pike better than I treat the wife 🤣🤣🤣
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

I got my last few orders shipped to the then company I worked for; that's to their HQ in Greenville PA and then forward shipped to the UK with product samples... I completely avoided the Tax man. Once I was happy this worked, I placed a rather large joint order with some mates. Had to be done! Sadly though, I no longer work there. But, a subsequent order last year was delivered to me at work and zero import duty. Just luck of the draw I guess, as when I was going mad at it some years back, I was ordering from Rollies almost monthly and the hit rate for duty was around 1 in 3 orders. $ versus $ was way better back then though and hence, even with duty, you were still saving money on the lures you could buy over here and getting those goodies that you couldn't...
Piking Plonker
Nutter20
Roach
Roach

Post by Nutter20 »

If it is sent as a gift I don’t think there are any charges well it was a few years ago
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

When were out of the EU and completed a deal with Donald things will be a lot different.

Hold onto your money and wait is my advice.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jul 12 2019 09:20 -
When were out of the EU and completed a deal with Donald things will be a lot different.

Yeah but then reverse will apply to EU goods .
Charges will be applicable exactly the same as it was from the US .
Unless of course there is a "Special Relationship "
Swings and roundabouts !
Pat
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

royboy wrote: Fri Jul 12 2019 12:26 -
Mike J wrote: Fri Jul 12 2019 09:20 -

Yeah but then reverse will apply to EU goods .
Charges will be applicable exactly the same as it was from the US .
Unless of course there is a "Special Relationship "
Swings and roundabouts !
Pat

How can it be swings and roundabouts when the gear most in demand comes from the US?
If I look back at my non UK tackle purchases over a timespan dating back to the early 80's the vast majority are from the US and Japan.
EU imports are just a few reels from Poland and Sweden and a pair of German binoculars.

Outside our sport holidaying will still cost the same as will cars simply because they, the EU, cannot afford not to loose our custom.

A prime example is the EU E11 health card, while the Brussels negotiators were saying what we would loose by leaving the Portuguese Government said they would continue to provide recipricol health care to any UK National if the UK did the same to its citizens visiting our country.
Note that reciprocal health care is not even provided by the UK's Channel Islands!

When we are out everyone will see that the EU had been peddling scare stories in a scandalous attempt to reverse the democratic decision of the Britsh People.
winniethepooh
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by winniethepooh »

How can it be swings and roundabouts when the gear most in demand comes from the US?
If I look back at my non UK tackle purchases over a timespan dating back to the early 80's the vast majority are from the US and Japan.
EU imports are just a few reels from Poland and Sweden and a pair of German binoculars.

Outside our sport holidaying will still cost the same as will cars simply because they, the EU, cannot afford not to loose our custom.
Just a pity the rest of the country doesn't import more from the US and Japan than the EU or else would be all be OK.

It's the UK that would apply tarrifs on imported goods not the EU, the question is would the Government want you to pay more for a car after brexit rather than before? After all they claimed we could have our cake and eat it.

Unfortunately the EU political system needs to protect project Europe, if they offer a free trade deal to the UK for no cost why would other EU countries want to pay in to the EU for a free trade deal? It's not a case of EU can't afford to loose our custom is more a case of they can't afford our custom at any cost
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The EU has stitched up all imports from outside the bloc with its EU certification.
An imported product must have every single screw or coat of paint EU certified, or so the rules say, but of course it isnt true in the real world of business where things get done behind closed doors and everything and anything is waved through even if it hasnt a single item EU certified. All it requires is influence in high places.

My next German built car will cost the same (in relative terms) as my previous models, the UK Goverment (under presure form dealerships) will not let it be otherwise.
Your Spanish strawberries, Italian melons or Belguim beer will still cost the same, infact it will be as if we are still IN, until you reach a passport control and find you have some envious numpty on a go slow.

Probably the worst hit be what we will be allowed to bring back off holiday, perhaps an end to Duty Free, tighter inspections at ports of exit and a large list of restricted items.
winniethepooh
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by winniethepooh »

Like I said before imported good into the UK will only increase if the UK applies a tariff, it has nothing to do with the EU after all isn't sovereignty one of the reasons people voted for brexit?

The EU can choose, and probably will to protect project Europe, to apply tariffs to imports from the UK so perhaps Spanish strawberries will remain the same price in the UK, presuming the £ doesn't fall against the €, but perhaps Welsh lamb will cost more in Spain? So Spanish farmers remain unaffected but Welsh farmer are affected.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Guys, don't forget that a lot of tackle dealers in Europe stock what you could be looking for. The guys at Lundgrens for example; no duty to pay there and goods arrive in just a day or two. Service is excellent BTW. OK, prices can be a little high depending on exchange rates, but carriage is cheap and much of the time, this is about getting the stuff you can't get in the UK. I think when I retire (a way to go yet!) I will probably set-up my own lure shop, as I do have family contacts in the States who can source/ship for me. I'll need something to keep me busy when the day comes I suppose...
Piking Plonker
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

I was in lundgrens last November lots of real old school stuff in there....guy just walked about with a calculator and gave a fantastic discount.