Eating in the 50s.

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Eating in the 50s.

Post by Nige Johns »

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 15:13 -
Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 10:09 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Jul 21 2019 15:42 -
How about party lines? Sharing a phone line with the house across the street. Tell that to kids today, and they won't believe you!

Party lines, we didn't even have the poles put up until 63/4.
Can you imagine party lines being used today, the way times have changed I somehow doubt a party could not resist listening to your private calls.

If they bought back the 4p phone boxes I reckon I still have enough pennies call NZ for a few hours.
I had a party line back in 1979/80
I was pretty sure the old bat over the street listened in and did the necessary gossiping afterwards with her mates ---so I had a girlfriend ring me and talk sheer smut for an hour or so :laughs:
She never looked me in the eye again :wink:

back to the 50's--we had feck all---in fact we had so much feck all we had twice as much of it as anyone else, parents had divorced (which was very hard in those days) just me younger bruv and my Dad with 2 chairs and a bed left :laughs: (so I'm told, I was only 4)
Spent a lot of time at my grandma's back then and I always used to go round my "auntie" Wynn's house next door for a slice of bread and chip fat which back in those days was dripping----it was deeelicious.
Milkman used to come round with a horse drawn cart and we would feed it a slice of bread, then run round the other end with a shovel and bucket to get stuff for my grans roses :laughs:
Sunday was always leg of lamb dinner and rice pudding for afters (with the much fought for thick brown skin ) ,and a tin of salmon for tea with goldfish (peach slices) and evaporated milk to follow.

Anyone remember golden syrup or sugar sandwiches?
Peach slices and evaporated milk,nowt wrong with that Kev ,yum
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Nige Johns wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 15:34 -
Kev Berry wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 15:13 -
Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 10:09 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Jul 21 2019 15:42 -
How about party lines? Sharing a phone line with the house across the street. Tell that to kids today, and they won't believe you!

Party lines, we didn't even have the poles put up until 63/4.
Can you imagine party lines being used today, the way times have changed I somehow doubt a party could not resist listening to your private calls.

If they bought back the 4p phone boxes I reckon I still have enough pennies call NZ for a few hours.
I had a party line back in 1979/80
I was pretty sure the old bat over the street listened in and did the necessary gossiping afterwards with her mates ---so I had a girlfriend ring me and talk sheer smut for an hour or so :laughs:
She never looked me in the eye again :wink:

back to the 50's--we had feck all---in fact we had so much feck all we had twice as much of it as anyone else, parents had divorced (which was very hard in those days) just me younger bruv and my Dad with 2 chairs and a bed left :laughs: (so I'm told, I was only 4)
Spent a lot of time at my grandma's back then and I always used to go round my "auntie" Wynn's house next door for a slice of bread and chip fat which back in those days was dripping----it was deeelicious.
Milkman used to come round with a horse drawn cart and we would feed it a slice of bread, then run round the other end with a shovel and bucket to get stuff for my grans roses :laughs:
Sunday was always leg of lamb dinner and rice pudding for afters (with the much fought for thick brown skin ) ,and a tin of salmon for tea with goldfish (peach slices) and evaporated milk to follow.

Anyone remember golden syrup or sugar sandwiches?
Peach slices and evaporated milk,nowt wrong with that Kev ,yum
I still have them :wink:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Powdered egg. My mum always said it was better for making cakes than whole eggs.

And Stork. Can you still get Stork margarine? (Do they even make margarine these days?). "You can't tell stork from butter" they used to say. You can. Butter doesn't taste like axle grease . . . :laughs:

And you used to get your co-op 'dividend' as little tin tokens. Every kid knew their mum's 'divvy' number off by heart.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Mon Jul 22 2019 15:59 -
Powdered egg. My mum always said it was better for making cakes than whole eggs.

And Stork. Can you still get Stork margarine? (Do they even make margarine these days?). "You can't tell stork from butter" they used to say. You can. Butter doesn't taste like axle grease . . . :laughs:

And you used to get your co-op 'dividend' as little tin tokens. Every kid knew their mum's 'divvy' number off by heart.
Google knows. https://www.bakewithstork.com/about-sto ... -for-cakes
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bread and dripping, sugar sandwiches, cod liver oil and orange juice (on the NHS) because the country feared its young children might suffer from Rickets, yes I remember them well.
The only stuff I couldn't take was the lukewarm milk at school, the smell of those empty bottles would turn my stomach. Crazy because I could go to the farm down the road and drink it warm straight from the cow.

The real difference was you never, ever, saw anyone who was fat. I still remember the lovely shapes of the girls, all curves and hollows, not a single one was fat or even near, not a single one.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stevie
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by stevie »

Izel (thinks that’s how it was spelt) squares: posher than ripped up newspaper.
stevie
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by stevie »

Me old fella putting a sheet of paper over the fireplace opening to get the coal fire “drawing” in the morning. Ice on the inside of the windows, a bath once a week as a kid, no such thing as a shower in our house. Provident for your clothes. A day out was going with me dad to the local scrap yard, clambering over the old cars looking for a vital part to keep his Austin 1100 on the road ( no such thing as elf an safety)
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 23 2019 08:21 -
Bread and dripping, sugar sandwiches, cod liver oil and orange juice (on the NHS) because the country feared its young children might suffer from Rickets, yes I remember them well.
The only stuff I couldn't take was the lukewarm milk at school, the smell of those empty bottles would turn my stomach. Crazy because I could go to the farm down the road and drink it warm straight from the cow.

The real difference was you never, ever, saw anyone who was fat. I still remember the lovely shapes of the girls, all curves and hollows, not a single one was fat or even near, not a single one.
I was the same with the milk Mike. Not only me but half the school didn't want the stuff. Perhaps that's why Thatcher snatched it.
There was always ONE fat boy in school---and his nickname was always Bunter :laughs: (anyone remember the "Owl of the Remove"?)
What about school dinners? ours were fantastic, cooked by proper cooks.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I loved my milk at school. Cartons with a straw that you punched through a little hole. No wonder I always detested Maggie. :grin:
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

davelumb wrote: Tue Jul 23 2019 09:38 -
I loved my milk at school. Cartons with a straw that you punched through a little hole. No wonder I always detested Maggie. :grin:

Cartons :eek: You got Cartons :eek: :laughs: We slummed' it with the daily crate of milk bottles left on a desk at the front of the class.

:laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

alan behenna wrote: Tue Jul 23 2019 09:48 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Jul 23 2019 09:38 -

Cartons :eek: You got Cartons :eek: :laughs: We slummed' it with the daily crate of milk bottles left on a desk at the front of the class.

:laughs:
I remember half pint bottles too. :grin:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

The milk we got at school was in 1/3 pint bottles. I can still conjour up the smell of the crates of empties stacked by the stairs in the school cloakroom. Can't say it ever bothered me. All the classrooms smelled of powder paint and wax crayons. Funny how evocative smells are. I had a pint of Courage Best the other day, sniffed it, and was instantly transported back to the Student Uni bar when I was 18.

(I can't get rid of the mental image of a young Mike J, suckling on a cows udder now, although I hope a cup was involved in reality! :laughs: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Anybody remember Virol? Bloody horrible stuff, used to get a damn great spoonful of it rammed down my throat every day. Filthy stuff!
Bob
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Your wrong on both counts John, the trick was to point the teat at your mouth before expelling the milk, never did it in the field, only in the milking palour.
Some cows would have streaks of blood in their milk so I always asked the farmer which to avoid.
Back then we didnt have milk bottles but a mini churn which you took to the farm to get it filled, best times were when you filled it yourself and dippped from the surface to ensure a thick layer of cream came with it.

Cartons of milk, blimey what year was it I first saw a carton of anything????
Tiny 1/3 bottles at our school, then sitting around smelling horrible.

:confused:
Does anyone remember the card discs used for tops on milk bottles, before the silver and gold tops?
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Ah!...............any body remember the "Jubbly"??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Lovely jubbly

Everyone loved a jubbly
Regards
Tom
The Fatchap
Roach
Roach

Post by The Fatchap »

Frozen Jubbly was a special treat while watching Saturday morning pictures at the ABC cinema at Forest Hill S.E.london
It is now a Weatherspoons.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

:laughs: Jubblies! You'd suck all the orange flavour out of them and be left with a pyramid of plain ice! (Which you'd still finish of course).

And Jamboree bags. Probably the biggest waste of pocket money ever, but quite irresistible. Rather like bubble gum cards.

The American Civil War ones were my favourite. Some of them were very graphic in their depiction of violence. Can you imagine anything like that being sold to primary school kids today? (poor, fragile mini snowflakes). The gory ones were everybody's favourite and gold dust as 'swaps'! :thumbs:

45e727875c1fc5c7c52886e25394a84a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Wed Jul 24 2019 13:01 -
:laughs: Jubblies! You'd suck all the orange flavour out of them and be left with a pyramid of plain ice! (Which you'd still finish of course).

And Jamboree bags. Probably the biggest waste of pocket money ever, but quite irresistible. Rather like bubble gum cards.

The American Civil War ones were my favourite. Some of them were very graphic in their depiction of violence. Can you imagine anything like that being sold to primary school kids today? (poor, fragile mini snowflakes). The gory ones were everybody's favourite and gold dust as 'swaps'! :thumbs:
I remember buying Jamboree bags on my way home from school - on the bus with other kids from my street. I was seven or eight. Can you imagine kids of that age being allowed to catch a bus home without adult accompaniment these days?

When we were a bit younger we got a 'taxi' to and from school. Four or five of us in the back of a Ford van driven by Ginger McCain. Yes, THAT Ginger McCain. :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Nasty man. I need therapy now having seen that image or I might go out and bayonet someone. :laughs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Remember the cards we got with a flat piece of bubble gum? The Civil war in America cards came with those as well as Jamboree bags, they sure had some grisly ones---the one everyone wanted was a cavalry man who had fell off his horse and been skewered by some spikes---blood and snot everywhere :laughs: .
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

alan behenna wrote: Wed Jul 24 2019 11:24 -
Ah!...............any body remember the "Jubbly"??
Delboy will for sure..... :grin:
Ray Waker