Gloves for Pike

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Gloves for Pike

Post by Nige Johns »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 29 2019 09:35 -
If your a bit jittery about opening a pikes mouth with your hand either don't fish for pike or learn how to do it safely. It certainly isn't rocket science and the vast majority of pike anglers are self taught.

There isn't a glove made than eliminates the possibility of damaging the gill rakers.
As for gloves avoiding flying hooks forget it, they are not made, even steel or kevlar gloves will snag a hook.
Mike i chin every fish unless it’s a netter,I always wear a glove and it’s just to avoid the flying trebles,I find the yellow leather ones are perfect,thin enough to feel what I’m grabbing hold of yet ultimate confidence that a treble isn’t going to get stuck in me,I always apply Vaseline in the off season to keep them supple :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Good for you Nige.

Ive never worn a glove and never got stuck with a treble either.

Did bury a flying 1/0 in my thumb at sea, but that was my fault for rushing.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I wear a thin rubber palmed work glove only to save the raker rash.
Thin enough to feel everything but protects the back of my hand 👍
That Perkins !!! 😂
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

If your a bit jittery about opening a pikes mouth with your hand either don't fish for pike or learn how to do it safely. It certainly isn't rocket science and the vast majority of pike anglers are self taught.

There isn't a glove made than eliminates the possibility of damaging the gill rakers.
As for gloves avoiding flying hooks forget it, they are not made, even steel or kevlar gloves will snag a hook.
A marigold wouldn’t cause damage and give plenty of grip and protect the hand from the rakers 👍
That Perkins !!! 😂
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Carlperkins wrote: Mon Aug 05 2019 17:53 -

A marigold wouldn’t cause damage and give plenty of grip and protect the hand from the rakers 👍

Disposable gloves used in food preparation are even thinner and fit much better and surgical gloves the thinnest of all.
But why all that fussing about inorder to try and avoid a slight scratch from an occasional fish when we are hooking and landing them?

Next someone will be suggesting we use gloves to avoid fish slime or bait smells :clown:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Leptospirosis
Simple as that
That Perkins !!! 😂
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Carlperkins wrote: Tue Aug 06 2019 08:18 -
Leptospirosis
Simple as that

If you have concerns about that disease then I support you wearing whatever protection you choose.

It was always said we are never more than 6ft from a rat, a potential host for the Lepto vector and known carrier of Weil's disease.
A week ago a rat ran across my step while the door was wide open and I was eating my dinner just inside!
This is dispite me having a Fenn trap permantly set less than 20ft away and shooting any rat I see.
I use the same step as an anvil and also a seat when shelling peas, whittling walking sticks etc. :shrug:
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

I work on the railway where it’s rife
So any cuts during fishing leave me open to it at work.
Never bothered until then but the gloves I use are nice and thin 👍
That Perkins !!! 😂
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

I've mentioned it a few times, so I'll do so again (based on some of the comments I always see on this subject)... pal of mine got some gill raker cuts to his hand whilst unhooking a pike. Next day his hand was swollen and painful... went to casualty and then spent several days in hospital on a drip, shitting through the eye of a needle. So, there's one reason to always protect your hands when unhooking or handling pike. Here's another - treble hooks. Anyone who's not had this happen, has either been very lucky or doesn't catch much... I guess fishing with lures is where it's most prevalent, as that's where I've had hooks catch me. A proper glove (not some silly thin latex glove guys) that's designed to resist penetration is a MUST when lure fishing and not a bad idea when only using small trebles when bait fishing. Something like the Lindy glove, that kind of thing. I've been saved from a trip to hospital on a number of occasions by using a proper glove to chin fish and unhook them. Only once did end up in casualty and that was where a big pike decided to jump as I went to chin it - one prong of the treble went into my wrist and I couldn't push it though and cut the hook. I've still got the x-ray somewhere (nicked it for keepsakes) . So, not using a glove? Good luck with that guys. Nothing smart about it all. Oh and whilst on the subject - how many people carry a first aid kit when fishing? Not many... again, just saying... ATB, Mark P
Piking Plonker
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

chad cain musky glove is superb for avoiding cuts and raker rash, lindy style glove will stop hooks penetrating your hand, cain ones wont, does any one know if Lindy glove is still available?
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Ratty46 wrote: Mon Aug 26 2019 15:42 -
chad cain musky glove is superb for avoiding cuts and raker rash, lindy style glove will stop hooks penetrating your hand, cain ones wont, does any one know if Lindy glove is still available?
Yes, try Amazon, I’ve just bought one from them, it had to come from Germany though!
Bob
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

juttle wrote: Mon Aug 26 2019 15:58 -
Ratty46 wrote: Mon Aug 26 2019 15:42 -
Yes, try Amazon, I’ve just bought one from them, it had to come from Germany though!
cheers dude, i had nose around after i posted, seems they have changed a bit but same company!