Float legering

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Float legering

Post by John Milford »

I do this very often when pike fishing, but hardly ever when coarse fishing. Until yesterday.

I was fishing a shallow lake in a stiff breeze and was struggling with my usually effective waggler approach due to the bow in the line dragging the bait.

A switch to a 1/4 oz running bomb and a Drennan 'Windbeater' proved an excellent solution - leaving me wondering why I've not tried it more often?

Like the swingtip, it just doesn't seem to be a coarse fishing method I've seen in use or written about for many years? :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Re: Float legering

Post by Will Smith »

Funny you should post this John,as coincidence would have it, I was thinking about exactly the same tactic myself earlier today for one of my waters.

Will.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I do it quite regularly in the form of polaris or locslide floats.

Bites are always positive sail aways and lifts.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed Aug 07 2019 20:34 -
I do it quite regularly in the form of polaris or locslide floats.

Bites are always positive sail aways and lifts.
I like the curved, semi-locking float link attachment in deep water (piking) Bob, but use a fully fixed float just slightly over-depth in shallow water.

Like you say, very positive indication either way.

I prefer the lightest bomb practical to tighten down effectively, but not much more, when float legering. When heavier leads are needed I dispense with a float and fish a straight running leger with indicators.
Last edited by John Milford on Wed Aug 07 2019 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Will Smith wrote: Wed Aug 07 2019 19:17 -
Funny you should post this John,as coincidence would have it, I was thinking about exactly the same tactic myself earlier today for one of my waters.

Will.
Great minds . . . etc., Will :thumbs: :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

When I've done it (a long time ago) I used a swan shot or two on a piece of nylon looped over the main line above a no.6 shot.
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

davelumb wrote: Wed Aug 07 2019 21:15 -
When I've done it (a long time ago) I used a swan shot or two on a piece of nylon looped over the main line above a no.6 shot.
Link leger, a method from back in the mists of time. ☺
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

One of the (great?) things about this forum, is that quite a few of its members also hail from somewhere "back in the mists of time'! :clown: :pipe:

I had something of an extended break from regular fishing a few years ago - I still went (very occasionally) but did not keep up to date with magazines etc.

When I resumed (keener than ever) I could scarcely believe how much things had changed! 'Big pit reels', 'captive back leads', special rods, just for spodding and marking! Admittedly, it was mostly carp and match fishing that seemed to have gone completely off my known scale, so I wasn't too bothered.

I eventually figured it was mostly trendy b.s. to sell tackle and the latest 'wonder bait'' plus increasingly desperate looking 'new' ideas to fill magazine columns. :shrug:
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

The term 'reinventing the wheel' comes to mind John, :wink: .

Will.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Last time I did it I used a coffin lead, who under 40 remembers them?

Yes it was that long ago, something like... :scratch:

:madmick: good grief, 50+ years!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

I certainly remember coffin leads, though I've no idea why they were that shape.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

jack wrote: Thu Aug 08 2019 16:48 -
I certainly remember coffin leads, though I've no idea why they were that shape.
So that they wouldn't roll.

IMG_20190808_180132.jpg
(If you were really posh, you had 'Capta' leads (flattened, three sided pyramid shaped weights, with a swivel). :pipe:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

Ok John, thanks. I presume square or rectangular leads weren't as aerodynamic? :eek:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The Capta lead came much later John.
Capta were a follow-on of Dick Walker's Arlesey Bomb which Walker didn't actually invent but did modify by adding the swivel instead of the through hole and wire loop.

From memory the Arlesey bomb was 1953 or 54, Capta leads were early '60's
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Mike J wrote: Fri Aug 09 2019 09:33 -
The Capta lead came much later John.
Capta were a follow-on of Dick Walker's Arlesey Bomb which Walker didn't actually invent but did modify by adding the swivel instead of the through hole and wire loop.

From memory the Arlesey bomb was 1953 or 54, Capta leads were early '60's
Fcuk me Mike, thats some memory you have there fella :laughs: .
You must have fantastic recall, something I fail miserably at, although I do know a few people with very good recall just like yourself.

Will.