Dobb Daddy

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
PikeHandle
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Dobb Daddy

Post by PikeHandle »

Had some good sport with these Dobb Daddies https://www.kanalgratis.se/en/dobb-dadd ... r-pike-rig this year but seem to have lost my last 1.

No one has them in the UK and import prices are steep so I was thinking about making some up myself .

The only bit I'm struggling with is the "Dobb" (clear plastic thing).
It seems to work better than weighted jig flies because the Dobb gets inhaled (due to it's shape/neutral buoyancy) along with the fly.

Is there any "off the shelf" fishing tackle I could substitute in my DIY effort or am I going to be whittling wood/randomly drilling holes through anything that looks like it floats and meets the required dimensions?
Toby Cole
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Dobb Daddy

Post by Toby Cole »

Could you not use a bombarda float. Similar sort of thing i think
PikeHandle
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by PikeHandle »

Toby Cole wrote: Wed Aug 14 2019 18:45 -
Could you not use a bombarda float. Similar sort of thing i think
Never heard of them but I'll deffo order a neutral if i can find one in the UK ..... Cheers pal.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I’ve been playing round with it for a while. At one point I was going to start selling them as I enjoy tying the large tube flies and make the rigs myself with the same components.
I bought some of the dobb daddy weights separately and haven’t lost any yet but considered how I could go about making them. I did make a batch of tube flies for someone on the las forum but they weren’t using the dobb daddy weight can’t remember how he said he was going to rig them. I’ve also made some with the fly on a short trace with a swivel too so I can clip them onto my trace when lure fishing without having to swap over to the dobb daddy rig. With those ones though you can’t change the fly due to the swivel so need a weight for each fly.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Here is what I would do.

Use the tapering nozzle of a silicon tube as the female mould, and use white or clear silicon as head material.
To remove the cured silicon use a fine needle to seperate from the mould.

Ive made lures from silicon, service life is limited but you can make hundereds and hundereds from a single tube.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
PikeHandle
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by PikeHandle »

Slug wrote: Thu Aug 15 2019 07:55 -
At one point I was going to start selling them as I enjoy tying the large tube flies and make the rigs myself with the same components.
I bought some of the dobb daddy weights separately and haven’t lost any yet but considered how I could go about making them.
They get good results on wary fish so I'm surprised more people dont use/sell them.
Someone who knows what they're doing could come up with an improved offering if they played around in the sink for a bit.

After about 30 minutes I ended up with an articulated core (hopefully better hook ups) made up of rubber washers, cork and bolts which is slow sink/buoyant and has a good casting weight (circa 32 Gs with fly wet).
Can quickly add/remove float/weight for desired depth.
Mike J wrote: Thu Aug 15 2019 09:08 -
Here is what I would do.

Use the tapering nozzle of a silicon tube as the female mould, and use white or clear silicon as head material.
To remove the cured silicon use a fine needle to seperate from the mould.

Ive made lures from silicon, service life is limited but you can make hundereds and hundereds from a single tube.
Several great ideas that I didn't think of -Thanks.
Using the nozzle as a mould would give the required shape so I guess you could experiment with soft plastics?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

You could;
Use a worm weight as the master to produce your own mould.
Get someone with a lathe to make them from any material you wanted.
Modify the silicon nozzels into different shapes using a heat gun or boiling/hot water.
Buy something similar from the US lure shops, just wait until weve done our trade deal with Donald.

Or forget all about fluff chucking and use a natural bait :exit:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus