Kev Berry wrote: Tue Aug 27 2019 11:41 -
Cracking bird, and picture :thumbs:
thanks Kev :)
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Re: The Buzzard

Post by Jeffire »

Im very lucky just bought a house in south west scotland and a very common sight.
Fantastic picture.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

:thumbs:
THORNY
Chub
Chub

Post by THORNY »

Jeffire wrote: Tue Aug 27 2019 12:28 -
Im very lucky just bought a house in south west scotland and a very common sight.
Fantastic picture.
Beautiful birds Unfortunately on the border news afew nights ago it said someone has been poisoning the red kites and buzzards in the region can’t remember the amount but a lot have been found dead recently. :evil:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

THORNY wrote: Tue Aug 27 2019 17:48 -
Fantastic picture.
Beautiful birds Unfortunately on the border news afew nights ago it said someone has been poisoning the red kites and buzzards in the region can’t remember the amount but a lot have been found dead recently. :evil:
wouldn't be anywhere near a grouse moor perchance :evil:
THORNY
Chub
Chub

Post by THORNY »

Kev Berry wrote: Tue Aug 27 2019 19:16 -
Fantastic picture.
I’m not sure Kev,The birds found dead have been at different locations in the area mainly red kites i think 4 or 5 birds have been found since March and there was afew last year died from illegal baiting.I know the police are looking into it.
The Red kites are opportunistic feeders they very rarely catch and kill their prey like Buzzards do the talons are not big enough so if they do see a easy meal they will take it .
I have had them swoop down and take my discarded deadbaits right in front of me that I’ve thrown in the edge of the loch when out fishing it’s great to watch i just hope they catch who’s been doing this and string them up . :veryevil:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

THORNY wrote: Tue Aug 27 2019 23:13 -
Fantastic picture.
I’m not sure Kev,The birds found dead have been at different locations in the area mainly red kites i think 4 or 5 birds have been found since March and there was afew last year died from illegal baiting.I know the police are looking into it.
The Red kites are opportunistic feeders they very rarely catch and kill their prey like Buzzards do the talons are not big enough so if they do see a easy meal they will take it .
I have had them swoop down and take my discarded deadbaits right in front of me that I’ve thrown in the edge of the loch when out fishing it’s great to watch i just hope they catch who’s been doing this and string them up . :veryevil:
the kites will take grouse/pheasant chicks, b*****d keepers get told to get rid of them. Unfortunately in England the owners of estates are not "responsible" for what the keepers do like in Scotland.
Both are wonderful birds to watch---well worth a few game birds to see them fly, most of them don't get eaten anyway.
Sean gilchrist
Chub
Chub

Post by Sean gilchrist »

Fantastic picture.

Not as many as there used to be. Since the red kite reintroduction.
You can only pish with the c*ck you've got
Sean gilchrist
Chub
Chub

Post by Sean gilchrist »

Kev Berry wrote: Wed Aug 28 2019 16:49 -
Fantastic picture.
the kites will take grouse/pheasant chicks, b*****d keepers get told to get rid of them. Unfortunately in England the owners of estates are not "responsible" for what the keepers do like in Scotland.
Both are wonderful birds to watch---well worth a few game birds to see them fly, most of them don't get eaten anyway.
Kites struggle to lift a rat off the ground.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Sean gilchrist wrote: Thu Aug 29 2019 13:06 -
Fantastic picture.
they not very strong in the foot that's why they target chicks, mice, voles, small birds, worms beetles etc, baby rabbits are about the biggest they can manage, live on dead stuff as well which is why they are easy to poison
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Fantastic picture, we have a couple of pairs nest every year in the woods at the back of our paddocks, it's lovely when the babies fledge but their constant squeeling does start to get on youre nerves a bit.
Sean gilchrist
Chub
Chub

Post by Sean gilchrist »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Aug 29 2019 14:49 -
Fantastic picture.
they not very strong in the foot that's why they target chicks, mice, voles, small birds, worms beetles etc, baby rabbits are about the biggest they can manage, live on dead stuff as well which is why they are easy to poison

They're like vultures when the silage is on the go. Must be hundreds around here now.
The two that where poisoned near Kirkcudbright aren't anywhere near grouse shooting grounds but where on an estate where pheasant shoots happen.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Sean gilchrist wrote: Fri Aug 30 2019 07:08 -
Fantastic picture.

They're like vultures when the silage is on the go. Must be hundreds around here now.
The two that where poisoned near Kirkcudbright aren't anywhere near grouse shooting grounds but where on an estate where pheasant shoots happen.
I could watch them all day Sean, theres only a few round here but they seem to come and go (a few big shooting estates round here as well)
Sean gilchrist
Chub
Chub

Post by Sean gilchrist »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Aug 30 2019 09:54 -
Fantastic picture.

I could watch them all day Sean, theres only a few round here but they seem to come and go (a few big shooting estates round here as well)

I'm actually surprised there aren't more cases in Galloway of bird poisoning. Just about the whole area is either estates or large farms and about 90% of them have shoots on them.
There's a red kites feeding station about 5 miles from where I stay and they feed them every day. People pay a fiver to watch them. You can see anywhere from 40 to 100 birds at it. Hardly wild. As you great to watch.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Sean gilchrist wrote: Fri Aug 30 2019 10:18 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Aug 30 2019 09:54 -
Fantastic picture.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more cases in Galloway of bird poisoning. Just about the whole area is either estates or large farms and about 90% of them have shoots on them.
There's a red kites feeding station about 5 miles from where I stay and they feed them every day. People pay a fiver to watch them. You can see anywhere from 40 to 100 birds at it. Hardly wild. As you great to watch.
maybe that's the way, feed them so they don't have to pinch the pheasant chicks etc
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Missed this Dave, love it mate.
Mick.
Richsheff
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richsheff »

Superb picture !
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Beautiful 👍👍👍😊
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!