Guard dogs

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Guard dogs

Post by Danoutdoors »

What breeds have you had? Did they deter thieves? I’m wanting one to live outside in a kennel also be good and trustworthy with my family, just toying with the idea, thanks
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Guard dogs

Post by Mercman »

German Shepard had two one after the other, both guarded their territory well.
Ray Waker
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

As above or a nice big rotty, both very nice intelligent dogs but still scary enough to deter undesirables. Have had both and thought they were both fantastic dogs
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

A collie, a spaniel and nine terriers.
Three of the terriers were loose and slept in a old beer barrel by the back door, when some nightwalkers tried to nick the batteries of our RB dragline parked 80yards away they were sent packing leaving the batteries stood on the track.
It didnt stop them coming and they eventually killed one.
A 100% answer to the problem of nightwalkers came from our local bobby but Im not mentioning it publicly.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire »

Used to breed and show german shepherds , trained properly they will guard to the death , Belgian shepherds are the same but more agile, unfortunately they can all be killed very easily !
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

You want one of these, top one is dad to the 5 month pup we imported below (which almost nailed Alan when he passed Christine a cuppa :laughs: ).
Good family dogs, but you need to know how to handle big dogs. Will guard you, your family, especially kids, and your property to the death without training.
Not a dog to be left out on its own if you expect people it doesn't know coming round.
These dogs will see people cocking a leg over your fence long before they see them, and will be waiting .
Used by Russian military. They have the strongest bite of any dog. Will happily live outside in temps down to minus 30.
The two I had didn't want to sleep inside or even in the barn, they just laid out in the open or at best under a bush no matter what the weather was

Had Neapolitan mastiffs as well, another brilliant family dog, very good guard, looks deceptively slow and sluggish at times but can turn from a gentle giant onto a raving demon that's faster than a fast thing if someone presses the wrong button, its not a dog you want to be on the wrong side of the fence with if you shouldn't be there .

I had rotties before people knew what they were, 40 years ago they were massive dogs, very good with family and very defensive, tendency to bark at intruders first unlike ovcharka's and neos who will eat first ask questions later, again not a first timers dog
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire »

Wouldnt like the bill for feeding that or cleaning up after it !
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

guarddog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Fri Sep 06 2019 21:50 -
You want one of these, top one is dad to the 5 month pup we imported below (which almost nailed Alan when he passed Christine a cuppa :laughs: ).
Good family dogs, but you need to know how to handle big dogs. Will guard you, your family, especially kids, and your property to the death without training.
Not a dog to be left out on its own if you expect people it doesn't know coming round.
These dogs will see people cocking a leg over your fence long before they see them, and will be waiting .
Used by Russian military. They have the strongest bite of any dog. Will happily live outside in temps down to minus 30.
The two I had didn't want to sleep inside or even in the barn, they just laid out in the open or at best under a bush no matter what the weather was

Had Neapolitan mastiffs as well, another brilliant family dog, very good guard, looks deceptively slow and sluggish at times but can turn from a gentle giant onto a raving demon that's faster than a fast thing if someone presses the wrong button, its not a dog you want to be on the wrong side of the fence with if you shouldn't be there .

I had rotties before people knew what they were, 40 years ago they were massive dogs, very good with family and very defensive, tendency to bark at intruders first unlike ovcharka's and neos who will eat first ask questions later, again not a first timers dog
Amazing! I bet when you went out in the morning you were half expecting a few human limbs left and a dog with a full stomach.

Sound like fantastic dogs πŸ‘
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Jeffire wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07 2019 04:13 -
Wouldnt like the bill for feeding that or cleaning up after it !
Fed on raw chicken carcases and fallen stock beef, used to cost me less than a fiver a week to feed 20 dogs---and you don't get anywhere near the amount of dog s**t feeding raw as you do the commercial feeds

of course the odd careless burglar kept the bills down :laughs:

this is the only guard dog I have now :laughs: , and she does guard but doesn't have the aggression (the milkman might disagree cos she hates him for some reason, must be a wrong un cos dogs can tell)
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07 2019 07:30 -
guarddog.jpg
You,ve always made me laugh , but i think you therapy.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

guarddog.jpg
I’ve read about them, don’t they take the intruder out at the ankle then when immobilised they go for the throat ?! πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ‘
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Danoutdoors wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07 2019 11:45 -
guarddog.jpg
I’ve read about them, don’t they take the intruder out at the ankle then when immobilised they go for the throat ?! πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ‘
Intruders die laughing.
:boing:
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

guarddog.jpg
The thing looks like it’s got a bad bout of constipation, real bad. If any burglar happened to sh*** himself coming face to face with that thing it’d be one jealous dog !
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

That's NOT a dog Kev, it's a Horse with teeth!

Strewth, if it was coming for you and showing a dislike, it would be time to be "extremely worried" (brown trousers).

:laughs:
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Roughly how heavy is that dog kev, it looks huge
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

wid wrote: ↑Sun Sep 08 2019 15:49 -

Roughly how heavy is that dog kev, it looks huge
Helluva lot of fur but they can top over 200lbs
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Mercman wrote: ↑Fri Sep 06 2019 18:12 -
Mine is now four years old and has barked at quite literally nobody, not even the postman. Pretty much the only time she barks is at hooting owls, and also the gurgling of the drain, for some odd reason. Definitely not a candidate for Guard Dog of the Year! :laughs:
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Sun Sep 08 2019 19:57 -
Mercman wrote: ↑Fri Sep 06 2019 18:12 -
Mine is now four years old and has barked at quite literally nobody, not even the postman. Pretty much the only time she barks is at hooting owls, and also the gurgling of the drain, for some odd reason. Definitely not a candidate for Guard Dog of the Year! :laughs:
Mine died about 3 weeks ago Steve. We have a large wrought Iron gate across our drive. The drive is gravel and if anyone came up it she would go absolutely mental chucking herself at the gate and barking non stop. The postman and regular delivery drivers knew so just kept back from the the She never bit anyone ever.
Ray Waker
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The worst dogs are the ones that don't bark at all.
They are the ones that really enjoy the bite and barking only alerts the target before they get there.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Mike J wrote: ↑Mon Sep 09 2019 09:39 -
They are the ones that really enjoy the bite and barking only alerts the target before they get there.
They sound like the best ones Mike! 🀣 worth having cctv just to watch a show reel every Christmas
dave-newman
Chub
Chub

Post by dave-newman »

German Shep
rotty
dobe

any of the above.. i have a shep
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Okay, enough of the frivolity, the nights are drawing in and its time to get serious.

Dan, check these out https://www.ant-supplies.uk/bits-and-bo ... mines.html

You can buy the units or make them yourself and the 12bore charge works out at Β£2/shot.
Screwed to a tree or building they cannot be stolen and are strong enough to withstand vandalism.

When an intruder has one go off alongside the last thing they're thinking is what they can steal.

:thumbs:
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Oh yes that should raise a few pulses πŸ‘
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: ↑Mon Sep 09 2019 09:39 -
they just doing their job Mike. The ovcharkas guarding sheep against wolves don't always bark. The young ones that live amongst the sheep might bark as they not big enough to tackle wolves, but the older ones that live up in the hills watching don't. They just turn up and silently do their job.
When I had a small farm there were always a few young neo's running loose. One day I saw two of them in stealth mode, creeping along just like lions do using every bit of cover to get to the gate without being seen, one from each side. Then they just crouched down waiting. Suddenly I saw what was going on, there were 2 walkers coming up the track to the farm, and they had been seen by the dogs. I ran out shouting and saved their bacon. (they thought it was a public right of way)
There is no doubt these two young dogs (both under 12 months)were going to give them what for, they had no training whatsoever in guarding, they were show dogs and regularly came into contact with thousands of people who were strangers with no biting incidents at all.
They had never learned to "enjoy biting" as they had never bit anyone ---just natural guarding instinct. No predator reveals itself by making a noise before attack, most dogs bark because they CANT get at whoever they are barking at.
Esoxuk
Perch
Perch

Post by Esoxuk »

I had a German Shepard some years ago, burglars do go next door when they are out in the garden. I remember a cold freezing foggy November night I heard someone around the back of my house I quietly opened the door and slipped him out, he went apeshit and all I could hear was someone scrabbling over my 6' high wooden fence and the occaisional scream... job done
My boat and some of my gear is in my sons garage, he has a Rhodesian Ridgeback which is an exceptional guard dog but great with kids as well. I've a 5 year old grandson and 10 month old granddaughter that climb all over him without even a growl, the only danger is he is big and can accidentally knock them over.
I've now got 2 Jack Russell's that bark at anything and everything, not much good as far as aggression or size goes but ideal burglar alarms which is good enough to keep the roving scrotes out of my garden.
R.O. Rotherham & Sheffield PAC (RA99)
PAC Products Manager
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

My Father lived in Kenya for a while, he told me about the Ridgebacks they had guarding the house he was living in, not for burglars but to keep the lions away!
Dogs that will see off lion, that is some animal.

:afraid:
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Doberman's where bred to attack and bring down a man. End of :thumbs:

I remember a friend of mine years ago had 2 german shepherd dogs and they where well known for there aggression by the locals

He got broke in too by some baddies
They got past the dogs buy throwing a bitch in heat in the yard. he said the dogs where still chasing the bitch in the morning when he got there.

If the boss ever lets me have a dog it will be a ridgeback bitch.

Theres a guy near me has one its brill on the lead or running lose but you don't go near his house if he's not in :afraid:

Grant :smile:
Last edited by Crackoff on Tue Sep 24 2019 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Crackoff wrote: ↑Mon Sep 23 2019 22:29 -
A Doberman was bred to attack and bring down a man. End of :thumbs:

I remember a friend of mine years ago had 2 german shepherd dogs and they where well known for there aggression by the locals

They got past the dogs buy throwing a bitch in heat in the yard. he said the dogs where still chasing the bitch in the morning when he got there.

Theres a guy near me has one its brill on the lead or running lose but you don't go near his house if he's not in :afraid:

out of all the guard breeds I have had the bitches have been far more deadly then the dogs, the dogs are bigger, stronger and perhaps more frightening than the girls to look at, but a good bitch will guard your property like a jewish mother does her only son
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Tue Sep 24 2019 09:13 -
Crackoff wrote: ↑Mon Sep 23 2019 22:29 -
A Doberman was bred to attack and bring down a man. End of :thumbs:

out of all the guard breeds I have had the bitches have been far more deadly then the dogs, the dogs are bigger, stronger and perhaps more frightening than the girls to look at, but a good bitch will guard your property like a jewish mother does her only son
Yep have you seen a woman attack someone with a stiletto in her hand :argue: :eek: :afraid:

Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting