Land Locked Drains

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Thecornking
Stickleback
Stickleback

Land Locked Drains

Post by Thecornking »

HI, does anyone know of any land drains that can be fished around the KIngs Lynn area with reasonable access?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Land Locked Drains

Post by Chris Hammond »

Nobody will post details of waters mate. I know it will seem a bit off but it simply doesn't make sense to experienced pike anglers to add to the pressure on 'their' waters. If you joined in with the forum for a bit first you'd probably make a friend or two and be pointed in the right direction.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond wrote: Tue Sep 10 2019 18:49 -
Nobody will post details of waters mate. I know it will seem a bit off but it simply doesn't make sense to experienced pike anglers to add to the pressure on 'their' waters. If you joined in with the forum for a bit first you'd probably make a friend or two and be pointed in the right direction.
Diplomatic as ever :thumbs:

A new member that maybe won't slam the door on the way out because of a reasonable first response.

As said by Chris, join in a bit and you may get a pm or two in the near future offering a day out, it happens quite a bit on here :handshake:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Thecornking wrote: Tue Sep 10 2019 12:38 -
HI, does anyone know of any land drains that can be fished around the KIngs Lynn area with reasonable access?
Yes... but you'll need to find them yourself.

One tip - always try to get permission to fish land drains. Often, asking is all that's needed. But don't ask and expect to get kicked off a bit sharpish. Other than that, find the right one and it can be fantastic pike fishing if you keep it to yourself of course. Got a good one up my sleeve for this winter which I'm looking forward to fishing. Land drains are often ignored by most, but in my experience can be awesome. Even those resembling ditches can do 20lb pike. Oh, the Fens are a waste of time BTW :laughs:
Piking Plonker
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Get yourself an OS Explorer for the area or download Google Earth mate and check out anything blue. You'll soon see where any drains are and then you can pick and choose for yourself.

Catching a decent pike from somewhere you've unearthed yourself is the number one feeling in pike angling bar none! Asking those who already have captures of note can be majorly misleading anyway. You need to bypass the 'self fulfilling prophecy that sees us seasoned pikers writing off a piece of water and capitalize on our blinkered ideas. If nobody fishes somewhere because it doesn't have a recent record for big pike then that can be the ingredient that makes for a perfect pike water. When I did a lot of that kind of fishing I worked on the basis that big/good pike waters if left to their own devices recycled in around a decade. All you're really looking for are two key components. A water with history and neglect. :wink:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

As many, I have had some very nice fish from water you could almost jump over.
Always amazing when the margins erupt and you know the boil is the right size, even before you feel the weight of the fish.

Always ask, sometimes the landowner doesn't own the fishing, its rare but it does happen.

Let us know how you get on because its always nice to hear how people progress.
As above, no names, pics showing locations or daft references, keep all that to yourself.

:handshake:
Last edited by Mike J on Wed Oct 02 2019 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Robert Woods »

Have resently moved from smelly Runcorn to Chapel St Leonards. Hope to catch a few pike from local drains, plenty to go at. I just use deadbaits and only have small freezer as wife won't let me use the big one...lol. Would roach and mackerel be all the bait I need...?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Robert Woods wrote: Sun Sep 29 2019 02:09 -
Have resently moved from smelly Runcorn to Chapel St Leonards. Hope to catch a few pike from local drains, plenty to go at. I just use deadbaits and only have small freezer as wife won't let me use the big one...lol. Would roach and mackerel be all the bait I need...?

If you have a partner buying your own feezer is the only certain route to harmony, install it in the garage or garden shed.
If you cant afford a new model ask at the charity shops and post a wanted card in the village shop/newsagents, asking at the nearest charity shop is always useful for big bulky or unsaleable elec. items.

When Xmas comes around you will probably be asked of you have spare room in YOUR freezer for bags of frozen veg etc, and thats when you earn your bonus points.
:thumbs:

Use whatever you like, my go to is a sprat, keeping it moving, the ideal is a gentle current or if its slow a downstream wind, check snd retrieve a foot before continueing.
Keep low and near the edge and let the bait fish the water 20m plus downstream.
Bring the fish to you unless its decent, sometimes there are several in the same area and its often the biggest that comes last eg; Ive had 5or6 from the same spot before a double came along.
Best sport going I reckon.
And realease your fish upstream of poss.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Robert Woods »

Mike, I have my own fridge and freezer from old house maggot one in car port and empty fish one in kitchen. Regarding actually catching a pike or two I might just use one rod for now as old legs not into walking miles with tackle to carry, only Hobbit sized and 68...lol. Might get ex army 25ltr rucksac which I can throw about and severly cut down what I take. Thanks for tips mucker,
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mike J wrote: Thu Sep 19 2019 11:55 -
Always amazing when the magins erupt and you know the boil is the right size, even before you feel the weight of the fish.

Always ask, sometimes the landowner doesn't own the fishing, its rare but it does happen.

As above, no names, pics showing locations or daft references, keep all that to yourself.

Spot on and make sure you park the car out of site - how I've been rumbled before :red:

I can only add that it is well worth checking who 'owns' what - as I've twice now had someone trying to kick me off somewhere when in fact, I had permission and they had no legal claim at all. Just do your homework, be polite, courteous and if you do get anyone giving you grief, don't react - just make sure you have your facts right. Can be little gold mines these land drains, almost in their own little bubble and are often totally overlooked. Two of my biggest Fen pike came from such waters. There's still some very good ones out there, despite the bemoaning you'll hear from the Fen is dead protagonists :knife:
Piking Plonker
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Robert Woods wrote: Sun Sep 29 2019 18:11 -
Mike, I have my own fridge and freezer from old house maggot one in car port and empty fish one in kitchen. Regarding actually catching a pike or two I might just use one rod for now as old legs not into walking miles with tackle to carry, only Hobbit sized and 68...lol. Might get ex army 25ltr rucksac which I can throw about and severly cut down what I take. Thanks for tips mucker,

Hey up Bob Ive got more than 5 on you and can still fish 5-6miles without a problem.
Ive worked it out that to give me 6hours of fishing a very big breakie is the answer, plus a hot drink before leaving the car, and to only carry the essentials.
For me that is a single rod, net, 7L sling pack with traces, baits, jerk beef, chocolate and water. Try it and you will find you will walk yourself fit and find fish you wouldn't reach carrying shedloads of stuff you dont use.

Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Robert Woods »

Mike, I need a large bag for my two flasks of tea...lol. Got a bergaus rucksac that will have to do as got some Army Gortex gear instead of brolly. Gives me something to do while stuck in bungalow at Chapel with all this rain.
Mark, I'll have to find better areas to park up than off main road.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

TWO flasks of tea :afraid:

But your loosing all that fishing time emptying yourself.

Recommemded daily intake is 1/2oz of fluid per 1lb of body weight.

(a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter, from junior school)
Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Robert Woods »

It's my Guinness substitute...lol. They are only small ones mucker.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Sep 29 2019 19:54 -
Mike J wrote: Thu Sep 19 2019 11:55 -
Always amazing when the magins erupt and you know the boil is the right size, even before you feel the weight of the fish.

Spot on and make sure you park the car out of site - how I've been rumbled before :red:

I can only add that it is well worth checking who 'owns' what - as I've twice now had someone trying to kick me off somewhere when in fact, I had permission and they had no legal claim at all. Just do your homework, be polite, courteous and if you do get anyone giving you grief, don't react - just make sure you have your facts right. Can be little gold mines these land drains, almost in their own little bubble and are often totally overlooked. Two of my biggest Fen pike came from such waters. There's still some very good ones out there, despite the bemoaning you'll hear from the Fen is dead protagonists :knife:
Well that 'lure' number plate was always a bit of a giveaway. 😁