paternoster rigs ?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
stickman
Stickleback
Stickleback

paternoster rigs ?

Post by stickman »

OK I just dont get it. Every picture of a paternoster rig shows a trace or a bit of line going off at an angle. Which is great in a river but surely the bait will just hang down next to the mainline in a still water. This could cause tangles and even worse a pike might bite through the mainline. How does one set up a paternoster rig to work in still water?
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Re: paternoster rigs ?

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Buoyant baits ?
I think they’re more aimed at live baiting using a ledger set up, to keep the bait off of the bottom an maybe out of any weed !?!
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

stickman wrote: Mon Sep 30 2019 20:35 -
OK I just dont get it. Every picture of a paternoster rig shows a trace or a bit of line going off at an angle. Which is great in a river but surely the bait will just hang down next to the mainline in a still water. This could cause tangles and even worse a pike might bite through the mainline. How does one set up a paternoster rig to work in still water?
I don't know what your problem is.

You cast a paternoster out, tighten up to the float and set the indicator. Simple.

The line from rod tip to trace and the paternoster link to the lead will be at an angle with the bait hanging down and slightly away from the paternoster link.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

You can use a pat for either live or deadbaits for presenting off the bottom. Dyson rigs are easier to cast though ;-)
stickman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by stickman »

davelumb wrote: Tue Oct 01 2019 08:29 -

You cast a paternoster out, tighten up to the float and set the indicator. Simple.

The line from rod tip to trace and the paternoster link to the lead will be at an angle with the bait hanging down and slightly away from the paternoster link.
so the float needs to be set overdepth then, and the lead needs to be quite big in order to tignten up to it.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

stickman wrote: Tue Oct 01 2019 20:02 -

so the float needs to be set overdepth then, and the lead needs to be quite big in order to tignten up to it.
Not really on either count. Set the float a little overdepth, a foot or less maybe. A lead of 1.5oz is usually enough unless you need to cast a long distance.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

My motto; KISS
Keep it Simple Stupid

As above.
Also weak link to the lead, attach lead via 2" loop.
Use a Roberts bead, pat link knotted to smallest hole on the bead.
Set-up; stop knot on mainline, sliding float, Roberts bead large hole, line knotted to trace swivel.

Cast in a swing not overhead thump, this allows the lead to go first, allow to sink then tighten until the float is half submerged and lock a loop of line under an elastic band above the reel.
If the float appears fully you have a take, same if it sinks, same if it bobs, in every case tighten to the fish and lift the rod into its fighting curve. A bob followed by sinking is the normal indication.

:shake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stickman
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by stickman »

Ok thanks guys.😁
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Sliding float, set just over depth, tie bomb link to top treble, cast out, Overhead will work with this rig, fish it as Mike describes (but use ratchet instead of rubber band)

Its simple, tangle proof, as bite off proof as you are going to get, and very effective for deads, lives, still or running water.

Any other paternoster rig I have I ever seen just designs in risk of tangles and bite off's and then add more bits to try to get over the problem it created for itself.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Thu Oct 03 2019 21:12 -
Sliding float, set just over depth, tie bomb link to top treble, cast out, Overhead will work with this rig, fish it as Mike describes (but use ratchet instead of rubber band)

Its simple, tangle proof, as bite off proof as you are going to get, and very effective for deads, lives, still or running water.

Any other paternoster rig I have I ever seen just designs in risk of tangles and bite off's and then add more bits to try to get over the problem it created for itself.
> tie bomb link to top treble

+1
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

My favourite rig of all time is a livebait fished on a sunken-float paternoster, fished with an up-trace utilising a very simple 'helicopter' rig. Very, very simple and very, very good. The sunken-float fished to a bite alarm and drop-off indicator ensures the rod is direct to the rig and reduces any slight slack that may be caused by the tip being direct to a float, which is then in turn, subsequently direct to the rig (if that makes sense). The rig I use was taken from Steve Younger's excellent 'Fenland Zander' book from way back in the day (1996), page 51, fig 2.

The only thing I do differently is use a cigar shaped sunken float, I've feel you can get away with a bigger float without making the rig seem a bit sea-fishing like. I don't remember many, if any tangles with this rig and using a stiffer, heavier grade (I preferred titanium) up-trace, I certainly don't recall any bite offs.
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Fentiger01 wrote: Tue Oct 08 2019 22:02 -

My favourite rig of all time is a livebait fished on a sunken-float paternoster, fished with an up-trace utilising a very simple 'helicopter' rig. Very, very simple and very, very good. The sunken-float fished to a bite alarm and drop-off indicator ensures the rod is direct to the rig and reduces any slight slack that may be caused by the tip being direct to a float, which is then in turn, subsequently direct to the rig (if that makes sense). The rig I use was taken from Steve Younger's excellent 'Fenland Zander' book from way back in the day (1996), page 51, fig 2.

The only thing I do differently is use a cigar shaped sunken float, I've feel you can get away with a bigger float without making the rig seem a bit sea-fishing like. I don't remember many, if any tangles with this rig and using a stiffer, heavier grade (I preferred titanium) up-trace, I certainly don't recall any bite offs.
:thumbs:

My first choice livey rig forbank fishing in the Lakes (when you could still use livies) was the SFP. I tied the pat link to the top hook (as I always do for pat rigs) and used a 1.75in poly ball as the float. Set thefloat high enough to keep line off any marginal ledge and deep enough to avoid wave action.
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

What about the two float (one sunken) - helicopter paternoster rig..... :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
I tried this from a boat on a large ressie using big lives. To keep the uptrace upright above the bait a small gazette bung attached at top of the uptrace means a big bait lifting the lead def cant get above the up trace. But on a boat you still need surface indication of another sliding float. It worked (because or in spite of I am not sure :o)... ). the use of the gazette bung means it can come off at anytime and you are free to use a smaller bait in the normal fashion or put a lead on the heli attachment and then attach the trace on the end for dead baiting.

Simples (ish) and saves breaking it all down to change methods.
Big baits are a pain at times but its all they wanted! :scratch: :shrug:

Possibly not for the beginner novice page :laughs:
Love the hit!
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

I use the pre made paternoster up trace .
Works well but there not 100% tangle free.
The fish in my avatar was caught on a surface float paternoster with a weak link tied to the the top treble wile fishing the river,
I general only use it on rivers .

For lakes I dont think you can beat a sliding float setup just off the bottom and let the wind work the swim for you.
Born to fish but forced to work
tonyn
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by tonyn »

I've always used a longish (24"+) wiretrace with a weak lead link knotted to the trace about 6" from top treble. Can't remember the name of the knot but you form a loop, whip about 6 turns over it and pass loose end through loop and pull tight. Fish surface float or sunken. The bottom of trace must not be able to bend at knot and be longer than the upper bit of trace if that makes sense.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

davelumb wrote: Wed Oct 09 2019 08:08 -

My first choice livey rig forbank fishing in the Lakes (when you could still use livies) was the SFP. I tied the pat link to the top hook (as I always do for pat rigs) and used a 1.75in poly ball as the float. Set thefloat high enough to keep line off any marginal ledge and deep enough to avoid wave action.
I'm sure I've said it before, Dave but that's a BIG fave of mine too!

(I don't know anyone else that does it face)
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Dave Horton wrote: Sat Oct 12 2019 22:53 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Oct 09 2019 08:08 -

I'm sure I've said it before, Dave but that's a BIG fave of mine too!

(I don't know anyone else that does it face)
Average minds, eh, Dave? :clown:
Half Mackeral
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Half Mackeral »

Its easy to say they are simple if you been fishing them for years!

A genuine question it is, tether the line with your fingers just before the rig hits the water so it straigtens out and keep tension on it untill you feel the weight hit bottom.

I find this works best, if short distance , side casts help with this rig too rather than overhead.

Main thing is relax your casting arms, the more tense i used to get and think about it too much the more tangies i got!
Half Mackeral
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Half Mackeral »

Best ready made one on the market by far (without question...) is the Greys Prowla one
Half Mackeral
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Half Mackeral »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Fri Oct 11 2019 13:03 -
What about the two float (one sunken) - helicopter paternoster rig..... :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
I tried this from a boat on a large ressie using big lives. To keep the uptrace upright above the bait a small gazette bung attached at top of the uptrace means a big bait lifting the lead def cant get above the up trace. But on a boat you still need surface indication of another sliding float. It worked (because or in spite of I am not sure :o)... ). the use of the gazette bung means it can come off at anytime and you are free to use a smaller bait in the normal fashion or put a lead on the heli attachment and then attach the trace on the end for dead baiting.

Simples (ish) and saves breaking it all down to change methods.
Big baits are a pain at times but its all they wanted! :scratch: :shrug:

Possibly not for the beginner novice page :laughs:
Yes first person i seen using this double float setup Kevin was Mick Brown
TwoLastCasts
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by TwoLastCasts »

I was about to post a similar thread, I've got back into Piking the last few seasons and know people use paternosters but I just don't see the advantage of using one other than if you were fishing in the flow of a river, but people use them in slacks, surely the fish just sinks.
Creek Chub
Roach
Roach

Post by Creek Chub »

When I use a sunk float paternoster I use a very short trace ( and a somewhat longer uptrace) I simply hook up the deadbait then take a foot or so of PVA funnel mesh and bind the deadbait to the paternoster link. This can be cast any way you like without tangling, when the mesh melts the rig/ deadbait is fishing, a few inches away from the paternoster link, no problem.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Half Mackeral wrote: Mon Oct 14 2019 23:22 -
Best ready made one on the market by far (without question...) is the Greys Prowla one

I use these but strip out the original fluro and reinstall a wire trace ... Good solid components though and mine are several years old, bought a dozen first out and still using the 3 of the first lot...
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Dec 04 2020 19:51 -

I use these but strip out the original fluro and reinstall a wire trace ... Good solid components though and mine are several years old, bought a dozen first out and still using the 3 of the first lot...
Just a pity they are no longer available now 🤔
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Smoothound wrote: Fri Dec 04 2020 20:12 -

Seen a few posts on people wanting some .... Mine are still in the original packaging, will hang onto them.
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Dec 04 2020 20:14 -
Smoothound wrote: Fri Dec 04 2020 20:12 -

Seen a few posts on people wanting some .... Mine are still in the original packaging, will hang onto them.
They were good bits of kit pity they stopped making them!
Last edited by Smoothound on Fri Dec 04 2020 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Post by fossil-fish »

The Pike Pro paternoster swivels seem a useful innovation. Have bought a packet as I am down to my very last Fox helicopter bead.

http://www.pikepro.info/Baitbox/product ... sterswivel
Michael Bruton
Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas »

I do well fishing deads on suken paternoster on stillwaters always on one of my rods . Like been said make sure it separate's when hitting the water . Do you guys us heavy leads and lock up tight I try and get a nice balance
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

Tie the bomb link to top treble.
Works perfectly believe it or not.
Can be cast over head too.

I used fox helicopter up trace ages ago but they do tend to tangle up and have to be cast a certain way
Born to fish but forced to work
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Tronix crimp swivels.... Perfect for heli rigs crimped on 80lb single strand ti wire. Will last for fish after fish if you use the right crimps. Double barrelled with a cup to cup crimper.

https://www.tronixfishing.com/product/t ... mp-swivel/
Love the hit!