Beer thread..

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Beer thread..

Post by zodiac »

Don't think they make the rum finish innis and gunn any more, Mike. It's been replaced by Blood Red Sky, a dark red beer brewed in rum casks.
Currently working my way through a variety box of badger ales, 8 quid for 6 big bottles out of Sainsbury, at the moment. A selection of Fursty Ferret, Golden Champion, Hopping Hare, and the classic, Tangle Foot.
All lovely beers, 4 golden ales, 4 completely different tastes. Yum.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Anyone tried the rhinebacher at Aldi? It’s only £1.20 for a pint bottle and is German pure, very similar to warstiener which is another good beer :gulp:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

piker al wrote: Mon Apr 15 2019 07:17 -
Anyone tried the rhinebacher at Aldi? It’s only £1.20 for a pint bottle and is German pure, very similar to warstiener which is another good beer :gulp:
Yes, ‘tis indeed a nice beer, at a decent price too. Steinhauser is nice too, 4 quid odd for 6 smaller bottles. Lidl do perlenbacher, which is ok for a french beer, but you can still tell it’s french!
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

piker al wrote: Mon Apr 15 2019 07:17 -
Not yet Al, although I'm tucked into a bottle of Warsteiner as we speak mate - very nice (wobbly as we used to call it back in the day).

Beer to me is a bit like fishing, too much of it to enjoy but not enough life to do it all........
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

My old local (sadly gone) used to sell Warsteiner. We called it Wifebeater....
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Opps!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Stella is known as wifebeater down ‘ere in Devon!
Bob
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

And in Scotland. :laughs:
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

I think you'll find in this day and age it's called 'life partner beater'. Wife beater is just so yesterday!
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Picked a few of these up in Sainsbury’s today 660 ml .
90 pence a bottle instead of £1.80 not a bad price ,
Not the strongest at 4% ,but not a bad pint
62645B84-C604-4CF1-B282-AC77508FEAB1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

juttle wrote: Wed May 01 2019 08:37 -
Stella is known as wifebeater down ‘ere in Devon!
Wives are safe now its 4.8%, not the same beer anymore...
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Still tastes like s**t though...........bloody horrible stuff.
Richsheff
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richsheff »

jonsykes wrote: Fri Feb 01 2019 23:01 -
This brewery does some fantastic beers. Belgian Blue is a firm favourite. This is my drink for right now - 28 days out of 31 in January have been dry for me. Just got to sit down at 9.55pm & my daughter turns 13 tomorrow - so i’ll raise a glass to her, she’s as near perfect as she could be .... so far!
Look out for the " sixer " thats nice.
Richsheff
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Richsheff »

zodiac wrote: Fri May 03 2019 23:42 -
I think you'll find in this day and age it's called 'life partner beater'. Wife beater is just so yesterday!
:laughs:
Dusty22
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Dusty22 »

Kasteel Donker 11% is an absolute phenomenal beer. It’s a real sipping beer to be enjoyed, served better in a nice glass and ice cold

:gulp: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

An odd concept, but surprisingly nice!

suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

I Should have a couple of these over Christmas really...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Dec 03 2019 19:14 -
An odd concept, but surprisingly nice!

When I was working went to Germany for work and ended having a weekend on the p**s and coming home (long story) I had a couple of beers called, if I remember correctly, weisenbier and weisenbier crystal. The former cloudy and tasted of bananas, the second clear (the clue's in the name) and tasted like a regular lager.

Edit;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_beer
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

:grin:
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Spent some years on the other side. Germany, Belgium, Holland etc. Some terrific beers/lagers to be found there.

One that particularly took a shine to me was the Dutch "nectar" Highly recommended. :laughs:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Hobgoblin in Asda last week at a £1 a bottle. Very nice beer that, I like to enjoy it whilst sat on the sofa watching the footie during wintertime afternoons. :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki »

I like a lot of Belgium and German beers too. Chimay Blue, Delerium tremens, Duvel and most from Erdinger for starters.
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

As a contractor for a big company I was once sent to Burton on Trent to set up site. On one of my many cheeky afternoons off I went for a wander down the canal and found a beer house that sold Marstons Pedigree from a jug. Blimey I have no recollection of making it back along the towpath! Marvellous!!!
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

jack wrote: Fri Feb 07 2020 18:48 -
As a contractor for a big company I was once sent to Burton on Trent to set up site. On one of my many cheeky afternoons off I went for a wander down the canal and found a beer house that sold Marstons Pedigree from a jug. Blimey I have no recollection of making it back along the towpath! Marvellous!!!
Yes I've had pedigree on cask before, it was lovely and must have been quite a bit above the stated %
Mynki
Roach
Roach

Post by Mynki »

jack wrote: Fri Feb 07 2020 18:48 -
Many years ago I worked as a field service engineer for an IT company that had a support contract for Mansfield Brewery. Those contracted to work there were given free beer as a thank you! Well until some workmen working on a roof decided to drink theirs before finishing the job whilst one fell off the roof. The free beer stopped there and then!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

If you like lagers, Aldi and Lidl both do a couple of good ones.

Sainte ettienne from Aldi is, I think a stella rip off but a nice lager, rheinbacher also from Aldi is good, perlenbacher is, I reckon Lidls answer to the same beer and a nice drink. Lidl also do what I think is another stella rip off, galeraux, it's ok
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Feb 08 2020 22:55 -
If you like lagers, Aldi and Lidl both do a couple of good ones.

Sainte ettienne from Aldi is, I think a stella rip off but a nice lager, rheinbacher also from Aldi is good, perlenbacher is, I reckon Lidls answer to the same beer and a nice drink. Lidl also do what I think is another stella rip off, galeraux, it's ok
From Aldi, the steinhauser in the 6 pack of 330ml bottles is nice.
Lidl do perlenbacher in 2 different sizes, a 500 ml with a screw top and 330ml 6 pack, but they're actually different beers. The smaller bottle is the nicer of the 2.
Green gecko ipa out of Lidl is nice for a supermarket own brand, and only 1.25 for a big bottle.
And at the risk of sounding pedantic, the saint ettiene and galereux brands are more kronenberg rip offs I think! :cheers:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I think THIS is Aldi's Kronenburg rip off
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

zodiac wrote: Sun Jan 27 2019 21:22 -
Nothing wrong with a good lager! As popular brands go, I like Peroni, or hop house 13 from guiness.
I tried that hop house 13 lately and all it did was give me heartburn. I do like peroni too. Been drinking that more than becks lately but my choice of booze when I'm out now is tennents and of course coffee tequila shots - cazcabel, cafe patron and latest is black fire which has accounted for many black outs and lost memory and wondering how the f**k I got home :dizzy:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Feb 09 2020 15:55 -
I think THIS is Aldi's Kronenburg rip off

Yes, I think you're right, here was me thinking I was the biggest alky on here lol