Christmas Dinner

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Christmas Dinner

Post by Ben »

What’s everyone having on Christmas day?

Three bird roasts are always popular but I don’t feel the flavour differences are pronounced enough due to them being combined and the juices mixed during the cook.

I’m doing a three bird roast but will have Turkey, Guinea Fowl & Partridge all cooked separately.

The Turkey will of course be brined to make it beautifully moist and flavourful. I’m buying a standard Turkey, for me there is zero difference with Bronze, Organic etc. Brining is the key.

I’m going to keep it simple with the Guinea Fowl & Partridge, lightly seasoned, no stuffing in the cavity, accurately roasted using a digital probe
RAB-HENDO
Zander
Zander

Re: Christmas Dinner

Post by RAB-HENDO »

Stovies up this way pal
DANCES WAE PIKE
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

Amazing the difference brining makes to poultry. :thumbs:

And stovies :laughs:
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Pray tell, what is this brining you speak of?
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Aunt Bessie's everything is the way to go 😂
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
jack
Perch
Perch

Post by jack »

Local curry house for us lot.
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

I cook a chicken in my pressure king so there's no need for brining, I was planning on some roast pork on sunday though, will it be any good for that?
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

My friends Chinese restaurant for my good lady and self for freshly made dim-sum and pork ma pao.

Had a seasonal turkey lunch last week and it was bland!
I reckon my tastes are changing?
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

zodiac wrote: Wed Dec 11 2019 11:13 -
I cook a chicken in my pressure king so there's no need for brining, I was planning on some roast pork on sunday though, will it be any good for that?
I’d say brining enhances the flavour of chicken whatever method of cooking you’re using.

Roast pork works well with a cider brine, plenty of recipes online
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Most supermarket chickens come pumped full of liquid anyway--don't know if its brine
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Nothing flash for us, slow-cooked leg of lamb stuffed with garlic and an anchovy rub and rosemary. It takes about 8 hours to fall off the bone. And jerk chicken, throw into that a mixture of traditional spuds, veg, Yorkshire puds. Then rice&peas, mac&chesse with salad. Thick homemade gravy, using shallots, tomatoes, mushrooms and stock.

I only eat a little bit, when your cooking all day and tasting this and that I don't really fancy it when its served up. I prefer to gorge later on the cheese and biscuits.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Monts wrote: Fri Dec 13 2019 20:51 -
Nothing flash for us, slow-cooked leg of lamb stuffed with garlic and an anchovy rub and rosemary. It takes about 8 hours to fall off the bone. And jerk chicken, throw into that a mixture of traditional spuds, veg, Yorkshire puds. Then rice&peas, mac&chesse with salad. Thick homemade gravy, using shallots, tomatoes, mushrooms and stock.

I only eat a little bit, when your cooking all day and tasting this and that I don't really fancy it when its served up. I prefer to gorge later on the cheese and biscuits.

I would take you to task on 2 points there. That sounds delicious,(except for the mention of mushrooms) I would not describe that as 'nothing flash' .
Also, unlike a lot of cooks, by the time I'm serving it up I'm ravenous and eat platefuls of it. I'm amazed when I hear of people who cook all day and eat very little of it. I spend all day looking forward to it. I eat loads, and some one else does the dishes. Magic.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

My wife is cooking Venison casserole, simple but grand to the taste buds.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.