New Potatoes?

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

New Potatoes?

Post by Chris Hammond »

I think I read somewhere that spuds for mashing should be cooked in cold water brought to the boil and that new potatoes should be dropped into boiling water to cook. I've no idea whether it makes any discernible difference. Does it?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Re: New Potatoes?

Post by Chris Hammond »

And while I'm thinking of it what purpose is served by 'browning' mince,??
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Chris after watching Gone Fishing with Mortimer & Whitehouse I’d give “Trapped Potatoes” a go
:thumbs: :laughs:
Andy Sewell
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Andytheammer wrote: Mon Dec 30 2019 18:12 -
Chris after watching Gone Fishing with Mortimer & Whitehouse I’d give “Trapped Potatoes” a go
:thumbs: :laughs:
That wouldn't be trapped tinned potatoes would it Andy? :thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Dec 30 2019 17:38 -
It liquefies the fat Chris, so that you can pour it off (if you don't like greasy mince).

I think something similar applies to spuds. Cooking potatoes by boiling up from cold water will take out more of the starch - which you then pour away with the water before mashing? :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

John Milford wrote: Mon Dec 30 2019 18:28 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Dec 30 2019 17:38 -
It liquefies the fat Chris, so that you can pour it off (if you don't like greasy mince).

I think something similar applies to spuds. Cooking potatoes by boiling up from cold water will take out more of the starch - which you then pour away with the water before mashing? :shrug:
Ah that makes sense John. I have to say though, as I only eat the 5% fat lean steak mince there isnt a huge amount of fat residue if any.

I did wonder if the spud thing was related to a need to gradually heat up the potato for mashing purposes.
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

If it's a soft floury type if potato, starting it off in cold water helps it to stop breaking up before it's properly cooked.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

zodiac wrote: Thu Jan 02 2020 11:10 -
If it's a soft floury type if potato, starting it off in cold water helps it to stop breaking up before it's properly cooked.
That makes sense bud.
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

If it grows above ground or new potatoes then put into boiling water. The rest cook from cold.