Angling books you cut your teeth on....

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Mac McPherson
Roach
Roach

Angling books you cut your teeth on....

Post by Mac McPherson » Tue Jan 07 2020 14:58

This is one of mine, circa 1960. Think I picked it up around 1963 when I wanted to move on from a pike bung, and a number six hook wrapped in a worm for perch. I was 15 or there abouts.... :pipe:
ledgering book(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Re: Angling books you cut your teeth on....

Post by Mark_Houghton » Tue Jan 07 2020 15:07

Mac McPherson wrote:
This is one of mine, circa 1960. Think I picked it up around 1963 when I wanted to move on from a pike bung, and a number six hook wrapped in a worm for perch. I was 15 or there abouts.... :pipe:

ledgering book(1).jpg
First pike book, (and probably the first angling book) I got my hands on was this one.....one of the few angling books in my small local library. Bought this copy a while back for sentimental reasons....
P1100551.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jan 07 2020 15:50

This little book was almost on permanent loan to me from my primary school library. I must have renewed it 10 times or more!

coarse-fishing-vintage-ladybird-book-hobbies-series-633-matte-hardback-1974-2442-p.png

And this one I still read from time to time. :pipe:

IMG_20200107_143836.jpg
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jan 07 2020 16:00

John Milford wrote:
This little book was almost on permanent loan to me from my primary school library. I must have renewed it 10 times or more!

coarse-fishing-vintage-ladybird-book-hobbies-series-633-matte-hardback-1974-2442-p.png

IMG_20200107_143836.jpg
That Ladybird book and this one.
_1030868.jpg

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jan 07 2020 16:09

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20200107_143836.jpg
That Ladybird book and this one.
_1030868.jpg
:thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jan 07 2020 16:16

And this one.
DL2_0980.jpg

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jan 07 2020 17:27

davelumb wrote:
And this one.DL2_0980.jpg
That picture is just what I look like these days on my local carp lake. I'm trying to get hold of a John Smith's pub umbrella for this summer, so that I can continue to completely freak-out the local 'carp boys' who all take themselves very seriously! :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jan 07 2020 17:37

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
And this one.DL2_0980.jpg
That picture is just what I look like these days on my local carp lake. I'm trying to get hold of a John Smith's pub umbrella for this summer, so that I can continue to completely freak-out the local 'carp boys' who all take themselves very seriously! :laughs:
I hope your chair is as stripey as the one in the photo. Make sure you use 'kiddies' bank sticks. :grin:
DSCN4423.jpg

old_school
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by old_school » Tue Jan 07 2020 19:21

Another vote for that Ladybird bible!
I was extremely lucky in that my dad bought the entire fisherman’s handbook weekly series (Marshall cavendish?) The tule was I was allowed free access as long as they never leave the house and I put them back in order.
Can’t for the life of me remember what happened to them now.
If you always fish where others fish, you'll always catch what others catch.

Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully » Tue Jan 07 2020 20:01

This was mine , well my dads lol
Born to fish but forced to work

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Tue Jan 07 2020 20:30

Woolley bully wrote:

Jesus, I remember those, did not have that amount though. Nice one :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

WSBeattie
Roach
Roach

Post by WSBeattie » Tue Jan 07 2020 23:13

I had the Ladybird book when young and bought a copy on eBay a few years back. Probably the best couple of quid I've ever spent on fishing related stuff. Really brought back memories. Loved each page on different species and how to go after them.

The other two for me were the Know the Game Coarse Fishing (50p paperback) and the Observer's book of Coarse Fishing. Was amazed when discovered the cover pic for the former was of a localish weir pool I did some of my first pike fishing on. Happy days...

:thumbs:

Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith » Tue Jan 07 2020 23:22

Woolley bully wrote:
Still have mine, my Mam paid for them for me.

Will.

Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire » Wed Jan 08 2020 19:09

Still got all my fishermans handbooks , used to be so excited each time one arrived through the letter box.Felt the same when carpworld first came out.
First books i had was one from woolies and one by john wilson.

Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully » Wed Jan 08 2020 21:38

Monts wrote:
Woolley bully wrote:

Jesus, I remember those, did not have that amount though. Nice one :thumbs:
Yeah my dad was a really keen fisherman.
I Loved reading these books(more so looking at the pictures) lol
Born to fish but forced to work

lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper » Tue Mar 17 2020 15:57

After I got my beginner's fishing set (early 1980s), my father went into an antiquarian bookseller and came out with Fishing for Beginners by Maurice Wiggin, pub. 1953. I am guessing now that even at the time of its publication, and for the waters which I suppose the author must have expected his readers to want to fish in (the ponds and lowland rivers of the Midlands and southern England?), this book must have seemed somewhat eccentric, for example with its recommendations for learning to float fish for roach with a greenheart fly rod in order to train the reflexes to strike more quickly. Very few of its recommendations could be applied, however, to my attempts thirty years later at getting a few broonies oot the burn. No picture, but the last time I looked it was still sitting on its bookshelf, not all that far from said burn.

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Wed Mar 18 2020 07:16

Fishing for pike with Mr Cherry and Jim. An Angling Times publication by Bernard Venables.
Perfection.

Mercman
Chub
Chub

Post by Mercman » Wed Mar 18 2020 09:01

John Milford wrote:

IMG_20200107_143836.jpg
The Mr Crabtree one that John has put up was also my first book, long gone unfortunately
Delboy is actually now 66 years old.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Mar 18 2020 12:07

Mercman wrote:
John Milford wrote:

IMG_20200107_143836.jpg
The Mr Crabtree one that John has put up was also my first book, long gone unfortunately
The great thing about all these popular old books Ray, is that they aren't difficult to find on eBay and (apart from 1st editions sometimes) not that expensive.

I'm sure Delboy would let you read his - under close supervision! :clown:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Mar 18 2020 12:15

I have never understood the appeal of Mr Crabtree. I think the illustration style (or lack of style!) put me off, and they seemed old fashioned.

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Wed Mar 18 2020 12:20

davelumb wrote:
I have never understood the appeal of Mr Crabtree. I think the illustration style (or lack of style!) put me off, and they seemed old fashioned.

What ever you do don't pic up BVs Biography A Stream of Life. A really tedious and difficult read IMO. And I'm sad to say I never made it to the end.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Mar 18 2020 12:25

Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:

What ever you do don't pic up BVs Biography A Stream of Life. A really tedious and difficult read IMO. And I'm sad to say I never made it to the end.
Thanks for the warning.

I've been googling BV and found a lovely clip of him plugging for pike. Smart use of the gaff too. :thumbs:

I'd post the vid if it didn't name the loch! :laughs:

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Wed Mar 18 2020 12:39

davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

I've been googling BV and found a lovely clip of him plugging for pike. Smart use of the gaff too. :thumbs:

Lots of stuff on Youtube, BV fishing all over, Jack Hargreaves, Ivan Marks etc. All bring a smile to my face. :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Mar 18 2020 12:48

Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

Lots of stuff on Youtube, BV fishing all over, Jack Hargreaves, Ivan Marks etc. All bring a smile to my face. :thumbs:
I've been watching Jack Hargreaves stuff. :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDsKitchen/videos

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Wed Mar 18 2020 12:57

davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

They are all good, no matter how dated. If YouTube gets a glitch over the next few weeks. I expect large scale disorder on the streets

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Mar 18 2020 12:59

Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

They are all good, no matter how dated. If YouTube gets a glitch over the next few weeks. I expect large scale disorder on the streets
:laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Mar 18 2020 13:01

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Mar 18 2020 13:24

davelumb wrote:
I thought the Mr Crabtree' books were old fashioned, even when I read them in the 1960s! However, I found they captured the essence of fishing, if not the substance.

(Simple drawings, with their sometimes dodgy perspective, and all!).

This one is a howler, but perhaps the most evocative of them for me. :pipe:

Crabtree run~2.JPG

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Mar 18 2020 13:29

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I thought the Mr Crabtree' books were old fashioned, even when I read them in the 1960s! However, I found they captured the essence of fishing, if not the substance.

Crabtree run~2.JPG
They just look crap to me. :exit:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Mar 18 2020 13:33

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Crabtree run~2.JPG
They just look crap to me. :exit:
It's not that Venables couldn't draw, or was a poor draughtsman - he was simply using artistic licence to capture the moment.

Do you dislike 'graphic novel' type art in general, or just his Dave?