Bigalf78
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Ebay buy and advice

Post by Bigalf78 » Tue Jan 14 2020 21:53

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2881718244

Not sure if this link will work,
But could anyone advise on this please?
Will it be a canny buy at the right price?, will a 1.9 td vw bora pull it ok?, will the bora put it in and out okay?, will it need a slip to launch it?, obviously i know it would have limitations, but would it be of use on larghish waters providing the conditions were ok?

Sorry for so many questions, but i have very very limited freshwater boat use knowledge, quite a bit sea knowledge from me da’s boat
Would be most appreciated
Thanks
Alfie

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Ebay buy and advice

Post by suffolk si » Tue Jan 14 2020 21:56

You’ll need a slip mate , looks pretty heavy to me👍And I don’t think I’d pay over 2.5 grand for it to be honest

Carlperkins
Zander
Zander

Post by Carlperkins » Tue Jan 14 2020 22:01

That’s Seastrike money
Look out for a bulletproof Seastrike
REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE AN ENGLISHMAN, AND HAVE CONSEQUENTLY WON FIRST IN THE LOTTERY OF LIFE

Cecil Rhodes

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Tue Jan 14 2020 22:09

Exactly 👍Jim from here sold his set up for that sort of money I think?..

Will Smith
Chub
Chub

Post by Will Smith » Wed Jan 15 2020 01:01

Alf, my ideas/thoughts for what they are worth in red :-

Not sure if this link will work,
But could anyone advise on this please?
Will it be a canny buy at the right price?, Probably, could be, but, what would be the right price ? I think for the 'Buy it now' price of £2,595.00 there are much better outfits out there, as Carl has mentioned, Seastrikes can sell for that sort of money.
It does appear to be fairly well equipped and ready to go, however ask yourself the following questions :-
Does it have sufficient or indeed any built in buoyancy, (it looks a fairy old tub and may not have any at all) you would need to ask.
You would also need to enquire as to the age and condition of the life jackets, I would not be happy using an old second hand one, they could of course be brand new, again you would need to ask.
3 X 110amp batteries, same as above, if they are old and on there way out they would need replacing very soon, however as above they could also be brand new !
Will a 1.9 td vw bora pull it ok?, Yes will the bora put it in and out okay? I would say yes on a slip, if 4 X 4 should be ok on dry grass or compact tight shingle.
Will it need a slip to launch it? More than likely I would say you could struggle otherwise.
Obviously i know it would have limitations, but would it be of use on larghish waters providing the conditions were ok?
Not really IMO, although plenty people will say different, perhaps only when the conditions are nice and calm and staying close to shore, the trouble is Alf conditions can and do change very quickly at times, personally I would not want venture out on a big water in a boat of that size, .
Finally again only my own opinion, a 12ft boat can be a bit of a squash with two big lads in and "little Alf" is growing quick :laughs: , a 14ft boat might suit your needs better
Sorry for so many questions, but i have very very limited freshwater boat use knowledge, quite a bit sea knowledge from me da’s boat
Would be most appreciated
Thanks
Alfie

Will.
Last edited by Will Smith on Wed Jan 15 2020 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Wed Jan 15 2020 01:06

suffolk si wrote:
You’ll need a slip mate , looks pretty heavy to me👍And I don’t think I’d pay over 2.5 grand for it to be honest
a slip for that ?

id boot it down the bank tbh
If you enjoy the forum and would like to contribute towards the running costs please click here to send a donation via PayPal or here to buy some Pit merchandise - thank you

BillCollins
Zander
Zander

Post by BillCollins » Wed Jan 15 2020 03:42

It's not worth anywhere near the asking price. The engine is worth possibly £600 or so and the rest is worth about the same again. Not much good for big waters either, it's a bit on the small side and just as importantly it will be slow, which can be very dangerous on big waters. If using a boat which is on the smaller size on big waters, it's important to have a big enough engine and the ability to get on the plane, which can get you out of trouble it the weather takes a turn. This boat is probably ok on rivers and moderate sized lakes, but that's about it. Offer him a grand, or preferably look out for something better.

Bigalf78
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Bigalf78 » Wed Jan 15 2020 08:21

Thank you all for the reply’s, i’ve taken a great deal of advice from the post’s, especially Will👍.
I didn’t think it was worth that money, hence, the, if i could get for a canny price tag, but taking into consideration new lifejackets, towbar, etc etc, i better wait, and save bit more, probably for next season now.