How to sex a maggot.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

How to sex a maggot.

Post by Rosemary »

Before it started raining this morning I was out fishing a local lake with my granddaughter. I was only interested in pike but granddaughter was fishing maggots for the roach. I have only ever used maggots on contests so not really an expert.
I noticed Mandy picking up a maggot and examining it closely then dropping it back in the tin then picking up another for scrutiny. I asked her what she was doing, I was called over to her swim. She asked how to tell a girl maggot from a boy maggot. I looked into her tin, it was a mix of coloreds. I told her that the pink ones where girls, all the others were boys.
On the way home Mandy told me that she had a higher catch rate on yellows while the plain ones caught nothing. Are fish that fussy or do the yellows show up better against a muddy bottom?
Maggots were a killer in contests at St Ives Huntingdonshire.First ten pegs on the Free Meadow, one third out and catching on the drop but the shotting was important.It was only on the Ouse where I was consistently in the money. I have fished contests on the Severn, Trent and other rivers but only had success on the Ouse and still waters.
Before this post develops into another ramble, back to the point. Do fish prefer yellow bait and do they like boys better than girl maggots, if so that is sexist.
Just old and knackered.
DaveGreenwood
Zander
Zander

Re: How to sex a maggot.

Post by DaveGreenwood »

At her age I think its best to say they are gender neutral Rose, its the way forward so Im told. :scratch:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Back in the 80’s I named male maggots Neville.
They always caught bigger fish than if I called them Steve
Or Nigel for example.
In the 90’s Neville the male Maggots catching ability started to dwindle so I started to call them All Dave! by Christ they improved the catch rate in some outstanding catches.
During the “00”s Neville named maggots started to loose their appeal with the bigger fish, even the un-named fishing close by would out fish them.
I guess naming them Neville turned them bitter and twisted to the point that on turning a new decade I have no place for Neville the male maggots in my Tackle Box.

On the Plus side I have started using the female ones just to even the balance and calling them Rose has helped charm a few more to grace the net.
:suspect:
:wink:
Andy Carpenter
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Cyprio wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 15:36 -
Or Nigel for example.
In the 90’s Neville the male Maggots catching ability started to dwindle so I started to call them All Dave! by Christ they improved the catch rate in some outstanding catches.
During the “00”s Neville named maggots started to loose their appeal with the bigger fish, even the un-named fishing close by would out fish them.
I guess naming them Neville turned them bitter and twisted to the point that on turning a new decade I have no place for Neville the male maggots in my Tackle Box.

On the Plus side I have started using the female ones just to even the balance and calling them Rose has helped charm a few more to grace the net.
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Post of 2020 so far!
Andy Sewell
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Or Nigel for example.

Neville the bitter and twisted maggot...Very topical post. :laughs:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

phil.c wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 16:48 -
Or Nigel for example.

Neville the bitter and twisted maggot...Very topical post. :laughs:
I hope no one thinks of changing the letter m for something else :wink:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Andytheammer wrote: Wed Jan 15 2020 16:21 -
Or Nigel for example.

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Post of 2020 so far!
yes it is rather apt
well done :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Or Nigel for example.

Brilliant post :grin:
I laughed so much I nearly cried.

Rosie your a star, girl maggots are the pink ones :thumbs:

Why not post a pic of you and your Grand daughter?
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Hahaha!

(Nice thread face)
wid
Roach
Roach

Post by wid »

Or Nigel for example.

Brilliant :grin: