Big lures on trout waters 1990s

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Big lures on trout waters 1990s

Post by Danoutdoors »

If any of you were lucky enough to fish the water the record pike came from back in the day what lures did you have in your box?
Creek chub ?
Rapala super Shad rap ?
Odesey pig ?
What else?
What was the most popular lure at the time?
I’ve had a lot of thoughts about that venue over the years though never fished it, if you have any info on lure fishing of the time I’d love to hear about it, thanks
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Big lures on trout waters 1990s

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Danoutdoors wrote: Mon Jan 20 2020 22:18 -
If any of you were lucky enough to fish the water the record pike came from back in the day what lures did you have in your box?
Creek chub ?
Rapala super Shad rap ?
Odesey pig ?
What else?
I’ve had a lot of thoughts about that venue over the years though never fished it, if you have any info on lure fishing of the time I’d love to hear about it, thanks
Steve Gould (Spike on here) had his 5x 20s (up to 29lbs) in a day on the biggest Kuusamo Professor spoon if my memory recalls. I can clearly remember the pics of him with a couple of the fish in Pikelines with his big blonde mohican glowing in the sun :grin:
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Mon Jan 20 2020 22:29 -
Creek chub ?
Rapala super Shad rap ?
Odesey pig ?
What else?
Steve Gould (Spike on here) had his 5x 20s (up to 29lbs) in a day on the biggest Kuusamo Professor spoon if my memory recalls. I can clearly remember the pics of him with a couple of the fish in Pikelines with his big blonde mohican glowing in the sun :grin:
Awesome, that’s the stuff, thanks Mark 👍
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Strangely it was Toby’s Big S’s and Mepps that caught the best fish in the early days and that’s simply because that’s all the pike got to see. By the mid nineties- Bulldawgs, Castaics, Gordon Griffith’s, Sandras and more had crept in. Spinner baits were always a good bait, Andy Mundy caught in the first week of trials on spinner baits and they kept on produced for many right up until the end. Harris must have sold 100’s and 100’s of Pikies after Roy’s fish, they’d turned into cheap plastic rubbish by then though, having said that Neil Wheater did well on them !
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Mon Jan 20 2020 23:09 -
Strangely it was Toby’s Big S’s and Mepps that caught the best fish in the early days and that’s simply because that’s all the pike got to see. By the mid nineties- Bulldawgs, Castaics, Gordon Griffith’s, Sandras and more had crept in. Spinner baits were always a good bait, Andy Mundy caught in the first week of trials on spinner baits and they kept on produced for many right up until the end. Harris must have sold 100’s and 100’s of Pikies after Roy’s fish, they’d turned into cheap plastic rubbish by then though, having said that Neil Wheater did well on them !
I remember Neil telling me it was one specific colour in the Pikie that worked for him....the yellow with red and black spots, said it rarely failed for some reason :thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Creek chub ?
Rapala super Shad rap ?
Odesey pig ?
What else?
I think Spike's 29 pounder (which grew on to become the Roy Lewis record at 46-13) was caught on a 1oz Bumble Bee willowleaf tandem spinnerbait. Steve's '00' Professor spoon got folded in half by one of his other fish :eek:
Last edited by John Milford on Mon Jan 20 2020 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

John Milford wrote: Mon Jan 20 2020 23:46 -
Creek chub ?
Rapala super Shad rap ?
Odesey pig ?
What else?
I think Spike's 29 pounder (which grew on to become the Roy Lewis record at 46-13) was caught on a 1oz Bumble Bee willowleaf tandem spinnerbait. Steve's '00' Professor spoon got folded in half by one of his other fish :eek:

FB_IMG_1540115258696.jpg[attachment=0]
Folded in half?! crikey :afraid: :afraid:
cashybai
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by cashybai »

Hmm ... I recall Professor 00's, Pikies, biggest Abu Hi-Lo's, I also had some home made copper spoons cut from 28mm copper pipe flattened out as well...
Fenland Iniative
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Grafham in the very early days - Cisco Kid 600s in yellow black and silver shad, hooks changed to 4s with a swivel added.
The SS had to be reinforced with a layer of Araldite it had so much hammer.
Still have both but rarely use them these days.
Will post a pic if asked.

Big handmade copper spoons didn't do badly either.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
FN19
Roach
Roach

Post by FN19 »

Creek chub ?
Rapala super Shad rap ?
Odesey pig ?
What else?
it`s the closest big loch too my house and ive never really fished it especially since the camping ban fook going there and spending my money when I`m not welcome to stay
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pete webster »

8oz crucians or perch did ok.
(If you believe that sort of stuff face)