Spinner baits

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Spinner baits

Post by Admau1 »

Hi , anyone use the Savage DA BUSH ! spinnerbaits ? 32-45gms :scratch:
Tried a few blue fox spinnerbaits a few yrs ago ,without success ?
Thinking of giving them another try !
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Spinner baits

Post by alan behenna »

Personally, I really "should" use this S/B' far more often.

Have had some very nice Perch on these.

:thumbs:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I use them with great success.
But the tinsel doesn't last many pike.
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Yeah they are good, I've found if the swim is clear of weed etc you can really play around with the retrieve, if you do have weed in the swim keep the rod up and they stay higher and still give a decent retrieve.

They really have a good pulse when bringing them back in aswell, I've had a few over 20 on them in the dark :thumbs:

Andy.
Sleeper
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sleeper »

I've used them and found them to be good. The red and silver one has saved me a blank on more than one occasion. :wink: :thumbs:
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Good lures these , but I’ve found a few things that need tweaking. the beads that hold the second hook in place are gash and fall apart so need replacing with more robust beads and the first hook isn’t very sharp straight out the pack so needs some work . Other than that they are great fish catchers.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

I’ve had my finger hovering over the buy button on one of these for a few days. Never used spinner baits before but think I might take the plunge !!!
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Steve D wrote: Sun Feb 02 2020 19:52 -
Good lures these , but I’ve found a few things that need tweaking. the beads that hold the second hook in place are gash and fall apart so need replacing with more robust beads and the first hook isn’t very sharp straight out the pack so needs some work . Other than that they are great fish catchers.
That's the biggest drawback of fishing spinnerbaits. Most of the the commercially available ones have bloody awful hooks, and obviously they can't be changed.

I bought some Do-It moulds and make my own, so I can put some decent hooks on them :thumbs:
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I have done well on spinnerbaits inc this one in firetiger
I add a large yellow grub to the hook - makes me feel better. A lot of the imported spinnerbaits are for large mouth bass - still work ok but can damage easy and need mods to work esp if open bend connection. I like them for their versatility. Often usecthen first time on nes waters esp if no idea how snaggy they are. Not 100% snag proof but a lot better than most lures.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Feb 03 2020 01:01 -
That's the biggest drawback of fishing spinnerbaits. Most of the the commercially available ones have bloody awful hooks, and obviously they can't be changed.

I bought some Do-It moulds and make my own, so I can put some decent hooks on them :thumbs:
I’ll be honest Steve, I’m not a massive fan of these big single hooks they use on spinners baits! They can make a bit of mess especially with smaller fish. I’m actually thinking about using a treble stinger on the Da bush baits to replace the second single hook.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Steve D wrote: Mon Feb 03 2020 18:05 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Feb 03 2020 01:01 -

I’ll be honest Steve, I’m not a massive fan of these big single hooks they use on spinners baits! They can make a bit of mess especially with smaller fish. I’m actually thinking about using a treble stinger on the Da bush baits to replace the second single hook.
I make some of mine with just a treble on the back, which works very well for fishing mid-water. The single hooks on most big spinnerbaits are excessive, both in wire gauge and barb size.
Phil Blakey
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Phil Blakey »

Da'Bush is probably my favourite lure; the one in this clip is the bigger 55g Da'MEGAbush.
Spinnerbaits are multipurpose, deep/shallow, fast/slow, clear or coloured water. They're just good pike lures.
Phil.
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

I bought some fox ones, bit smaller than i thought so may get a couple of the bigger da'bush ones, they do look good!
prob one the best go to search baits?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Ratty46 wrote: Tue Feb 04 2020 13:00 -
I bought some fox ones, bit smaller than i thought so may get a couple of the bigger da'bush ones, they do look good!
prob one the best go to search baits?
Have a look at Kells spinnerbaits on his lure factors website, absolutely top notch, I believe he may custom build if he doesn't have a colour pattern you want on the site.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Great lures.
I mainly "mix and match" - spinnerbait arm, and clip on blade and jighead plus grub or shad of choice. Better hooks and flexibility - and durability, compared to bending / breaking of arm - jighead join.

I find better hook-ups with the "hingeing", too.
Peter Newman
PikeHandle
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by PikeHandle »

Da Bush v2 is a solid Spinner Bait.

The spinner bait which caught me the most fish is discontinued ( SG Ti Flex).
The titanium piece had a tendency to separate after a couple of fish but they caught like the devil.
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Woop woop, my 2 Da Bush’s turned up today, they look the nuts !
Now I’ve just got to decide where to go tomorrow to try them out :cool: :smile:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
PikeHandle
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by PikeHandle »

Hope you get lucky.
Although they do work in Winter- come pre spawn and Autumn- Spinnerbaits are deadly.

Dont be afraid to use smaller baits such as the Spro (catches well) as you'll still catch big fish.

If the fish are lively you can remove the stinger without worry of losing (many) fish.

Did a session on a canal last year where I fished it for 1.5 miles using normal lures and caught nothing.
On the walk back just trolled a spinner bait down the middle.
Resulted in 3 doubles- which was super frustrating.
Martin Ward P.A.C.
Perch
Perch

Post by Martin Ward P.A.C. »

peteren wrote: Wed Feb 05 2020 10:50 -
Great lures.
I mainly "mix and match" - spinnerbait arm, and clip on blade and jighead plus grub or shad of choice. Better hooks and flexibility - and durability, compared to bending / breaking of arm - jighead join.

I find better hook-ups with the "hingeing", too.
I agree with Peter on this one......I use all sorts of SBs but most have hooks that are either weak or too big so I take a box of various spinner arms and clip them on to all sorts of things.... shads, sliders, flies....I love to catch fish in different ways (its a weakness in my game TBH) but great fun. Its a constant surprise to me how a certain lure will be the stand out option on one day, never to be repeated. I had a few fish on a Salmo slider 10cm a few weeks back with a spinner arm attached. I will keep the set up for a few more trips but to date despite having perhaps another 100 casts with it the heroics of that day have never been repeated. I also cut the bends off a few SBs with weak or damaged hooks (or a couple I regarded as too big) and formed a loop and added a split ring for trebles which Steve mentioned earlier are better hookers with less damage to the pike IMO.
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Bought some spinner baits years ago used the skirts for a few fly patterns and had plans to tie on the frames so it was a 2 fold plan. Fast forward a good few years and I finally got around to dressing one of the frames this week, articulated with a 2/0 hook at the rear. Upgraded the swivel to a bearing swivel even though I have no intentions of fishing it as I only chuck flies about these days
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Nice work there, Mart :thumbs:

I normally use simple but effective rubber skirts on spinnerbaits, but being opposite to yourself (have fly fishing and tying gear, but rarely use it) I'll have to raid the fly tying kit and dress some of the spinnerbaits that I've recently made.
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Apr 09 2020 10:53 -
Nice work there, Mart :thumbs:

I normally use simple but effective rubber skirts on spinnerbaits, but being opposite to yourself (have fly fishing and tying gear, but rarely use it) I'll have to raid the fly tying kit and dress some of the spinnerbaits that I've recently made.
The only bit that was a pain was throwing big wide loops to navigate around the arm.