Dog advice

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Dog advice

Post by ChrisWales »

Due to work etc we haven't had a dog for donkies years (had retrievers/labs/JRT in past) so we ended up having a few cats in the meantime (still got one)
Mrs has always liked whippets but I always seem to hear a lot about sighthounds being prone to separation anxiety etc. Also slightly concerned about the prey drive as we still have a cat. We would be getting a pup and the cat is about 12.
We work at home odd days, and there will be days when a dog could come with me to work but there will be days at home.
Any experienced whippet owners care to share opinions?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Dog advice

Post by Andrew »

Don't know feck all about whippets. Me though. I'd have a black alsation in a heart beat.

Ma big pal alba
20190615_140212.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

That’s one seriously handsome beast mate!
Bob
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

All dogs suffer from separation anxiety due to being a pack animal, I wouldn’t say a particular breed suffers more than others, in my experience it’s down to the individual character of the dog. The simple solution for me is to buy two to keep each other company, a bit like kids I think it’s easier to look after two rather than one because they keep each other entertained especially when walking.

Personally I’d never get a pure breed of any type, for me cross breeds are better because generally they don’t suffer as many medical issues and are cheaper to buy and insure.

I also wouldn’t worry about a dog having a go at a pet cat so long as the cat is within the family first, as a puppy a dog will quickly learn that a cat can be savage. My friend has a whippet that sleeps curled up with his cat.

I am biased but if you want a whippet I don’t think you can beat a Bedlington Terrier X Whippet. They don’t shed, are stockier than a Whippet, much more hardy and the Terrier gives them more character.

Border Terrier X Bedlington are excellent dogs too and make a better fishing dog than a Beddy Whippet.

A common misconception with a whippet is that they need loads of exercise, two walks a day is plenty as they like nothing better than curling up and going to sleep, Bert & Ernie are no trouble at all in the house and often take themselves off to bed. I couldn’t be arsed with a dog that needs constant stimulation like a Collie, Poodle or Spaniel.

Hope that helps a bit mate
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Its all about the training and ensuring that as the Alpha in the pack you are dominated along with all others. The dog need to be right at the bottom of the pack even below the cat.

Some breeds do suffer, from speration, but the key is introduce the concept of you being in the house and out of the house randomly for periods of time.

None of the concerns are insurmountable ;-)
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

56C4F174-4B04-44E7-AC47-AAE8B287F31A.jpeg
That’s my old dog Ace, he was 1/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound 1/4 deerhound and 1/4 bedlington, great dog though had his issues, separation anxiety, big prey drive, as he got older he chilled out loads though, loved it in front of the fire, do love a hound, bedlington whippet would be a good choice 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Huggs
Roach
Roach

Post by Huggs »

Rescue a greyhound their are tons needing homes.You can get cat friendly ones.Our first lived with two cats no problem.

Give Norfolk Greyhound Rescue a look.They have a website.

They often get lurchers in also.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Don't make a fuss as you leave the house, don't say goodbye or make a big deal of it, just go.
The biggest cause of separation anxiety in dogs is people making leaving the house a big deal, it's really not.

Try and get into the habit of walking the dog as soon as you come home, they don't mind you leaving when they know there's a walk when you return!
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

ok thanks, just a bit concerned about the separation anxiety thing tbh
Huggs
Roach
Roach

Post by Huggs »

ChrisWales wrote: Sat Feb 15 2020 16:28 -
ok thanks, just a bit concerned about the separation anxiety thing tbh
Daniel is spot on in post above.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Daniel is right, also don't make a big fuss of your dog when you come back, give it a few minutes (they might not though :laughs: )

somehow my bulldog knows when Im going fishing and doesn't even get off the settee or open her eyes (but shes awake---and hoping Im going to take her ) but if I am going in the shop she knows---and shes up and jumping knowing shes coming with me.
Never had a dog with separation anxiety, if you do get one its simple to cure but takes a bit of time.
Just randomly go out the back door and walk round and come in the front door---do not make ANY fuss or pay attention to the dog when you go out or come back in, just carry on as normal. Gradually increase the time to come back in till the dog don't give a feck.

If you going to get 2 dogs, don't get 2 pups from the same litter. Its hard work cos they will just want to play silly feckers
Get an older dog first if you having a rescue, then if you get a younger dog/puppy it will be much easier training it as it will learn twice as quick.

Most lurchers greyhounds etc will leave the resident cats alone and get on with them----but can be right sods with trespassing cats. I had a lurcher who could go over a 6ft fence without touching it---there wernt many cats that trespassed twice.
Huggs
Roach
Roach

Post by Huggs »

Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Andrew Croft wrote: Thu Feb 13 2020 00:06 -
Don't know feck all about whippets. Me though. I'd have a black alsation in a heart beat.

Ma big pal alba

20190615_140212.jpg
:thumbs:

Not entirely black, but here's my girl :smile:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Feb 17 2020 01:11 -

Ma big pal alba

20190615_140212.jpg

Truly wonderful dogs. Alba belongs to my mate Ross who's took over harelaw. When I say she's my big pal I mean it. Part of her pack.

I'll never forget what she done one day. I came up to fishery and got the usual welcome (she goes mental when she sees me)

Another guy had his 2 dogs up and they came running at me ready to jump up (friendly) alba jumped in between them and me and stopped them dead in their tracks. Wont ever forget that.
bigalba-mq.jpg
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Andrew Croft wrote: Mon Feb 17 2020 01:32 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Feb 17 2020 01:11 -

Ma big pal alba

20190615_140212.jpg

Truly wonderful dogs. Alba belongs to my mate Ross who's took over harelaw. When I say she's my big pal I mean it. Part of her pack.

I'll never forget what she done one day. I came up to fishery and got the usual welcome (she goes mental when she sees me)

Another guy had his 2 dogs up and they came running at me ready to jump up (friendly) alba jumped in between them and me and stopped them dead in their tracks. Wont ever forget that.

bigalba-mq.jpg
Yes, they're an unstintingly loyal breed :thumbs:

You'd like my girl's relatives. Three generations shown here :smile: https://www.champdogs.co.uk/dog/51179
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

We have four Dobermans, three Bengals and a Siamese, and they all get on well. There has been some very good advise in this thread i.e Don't get two pups from the same litter, crossbreeds are healthier than pure breeds(thanks to the kennel club), and look at the rescue sites. One of our Dobies is a rescue, nearly 14 years old, some serious health problems, and was badly neglected. He is a wonderful dog and we are delighted to be able to give him a loving home for his twilight years.
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Quick update, Whippet coming home with us on Saturday :)
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Nice Chris, a work colleague has one and its name is Enzo :-)