Angling books you cut your teeth on....

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Angling books you cut your teeth on....

Post by davelumb » Wed Mar 18 2020 14:19

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I have never understood the appeal of Mr Crabtree. I think the illustration style (or lack of style!) put me off, and they seemed old fashioned.
I thought the Mr Crabtree' books were old fashioned, even when I read them in the 1960s! However, I found they captured the essence of fishing, if not the substance.

(Simple drawings, with their sometimes dodgy perspective, and all!).

This one is a howler, but perhaps the most evocative of them for me. :pipe:

Crabtree run~2.JPG
They just look crap to me. :exit:
It's not that Venables couldn't draw, or was a poor draughtsman - he was simply using artistic licence to capture the moment.

Do you dislike 'graphic novel' type art in general, or just his Dave?
Not a big fan of graphic novels TBH, but I used to like the drawings in 'Commando' books (https://www.commandocomics.com/) - which I used to copy, along with Spiderman and The Mighty Thor illustrations!

Venables's fish never look 'right' to me. Not a patch on Keith Linsell's.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Mar 18 2020 14:21

Anyway, I've been down a nostalgia rabbit hole. I'd forgotten about this one - https://www.anglebooks.com/i-spy-fishin ... i-spy.html

lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper » Wed Mar 18 2020 17:17

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I have never understood the appeal of Mr Crabtree. I think the illustration style (or lack of style!) put me off, and they seemed old fashioned.
I thought the Mr Crabtree' books were old fashioned, even when I read them in the 1960s! However, I found they captured the essence of fishing, if not the substance.

Crabtree run~2.JPG
Hmm, free-roving livebait... good choice by 20 ft surf? :scratch: :grin:

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Thu Mar 19 2020 14:30

Getting back to the YouTube theme, as this thread ebbs and flows. Frank Boris Barlow, now his articles I used to like, I've always had zero interest in Match Fishing. But he used to make me laugh. Sadly very little film footage of him. I reckon one of those anglers who could tell a good story while you shared a pint or three.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

piker66
Roach
Roach

Post by piker66 » Thu Mar 19 2020 18:37

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Crabtree run~2.JPG
They just look crap to me. :exit:
It's not that Venables couldn't draw, or was a poor draughtsman - he was simply using artistic licence to capture the moment.

Do you dislike 'graphic novel' type art in general, or just his Dave?
Not a big fan of graphic novels TBH, but I used to like the drawings in 'Commando' books (https://www.commandocomics.com/) - which I used to copy, along with Spiderman and The Mighty Thor illustrations!

Venables's fish never look 'right' to me. Not a patch on Keith Linsell's.
The Commando books....the Germans always said 'Himmel !' when shot, while the Japanese cried 'Aieee !' when shot !
...the Devil came and took me, from bar to street to bookie...

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu Mar 19 2020 20:21

piker66 wrote:
The Commando books....the Germans always said 'Himmel !' when shot, while the Japanese cried 'Aieee !' when shot !
Here's a rare German "Aieee . . . . ". :grin:

Screenshot_20200319-190320.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Mar 19 2020 20:22

John Milford wrote:
piker66 wrote:
Here's a rare German "Aieee . . . . ". :grin:

Screenshot_20200319-190320.png
A Commando book nerd as well as a lure nerd! :grin:

Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes » Fri Mar 20 2020 00:02

Monts wrote:
Getting back to the YouTube theme, as this thread ebbs and flows. Frank Boris Barlow, now his articles I used to like, I've always had zero interest in Match Fishing. But he used to make me laugh. Sadly very little film footage of him. I reckon one of those anglers who could tell a good story while you shared a pint or three.
I looked forward to Franks weekly column
Wrote the way he spoke .
As you said ,it would have been nice to have met him down the pub
Regards
Tom

Andytheammer
Chub
Chub

Post by Andytheammer » Fri Mar 20 2020 01:43

Had a copy of his book that was printed after his death which included his columns
The Best of Barlow, he had some great stories & knew how to tell them

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Mon Mar 23 2020 09:20

I am going to be controversial now, and name Pike Fishing in the 80s by Neville Fickling.
At a time that my pike fishing was flagging, Neville came out with a no-nonsense book that re-ignited my interest, and probably the interests of a lot of other anglers too.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Mon Mar 23 2020 11:42

greencard1 wrote:
I am going to be controversial now, and name Pike Fishing in the 80s by Neville Fickling.
At a time that my pike fishing was flagging, Neville came out with a no-nonsense book that re-ignited my interest, and probably the interests of a lot of other anglers too.
Nothing wrong with any of Nev's books (or Nev really) apart from his occasional tendencies towards twattishness (for which, let's face it, he does not hold a monopoly).

Here's a question (to anybody). If you read a book by someone you've met and know - do you have their voice in your head when you're reading it? :pipe:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Mon Mar 23 2020 15:08

Yes.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Mon Mar 23 2020 20:05

greencard1 wrote:
Pike fishing in the 80s was an influential book for me as a teenage piker back then. I remember Nev doing a slideshow for our Bristol PAC around then and to be fair he came over and spent some time talking to us few young uns and asking us about our fishing.

nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage » Thu Mar 26 2020 15:38

These two were well read
david carl forbes.jpg
Jim Gibbinson pike.jpg
Our class room at School was also the library, me and my mate used to wait in anticipation every week for the angling times to be delivered there, reading articles from Fred Wagstaff and his exploits after Pike etc.

On the war front I was aircraft (Second world war) mad, with the bedroom ceiling pinned and nailed with Airfix kits so although I read the Commando books it was the Air ace books that I went for. I went online just now and this one bought back memories, reading it some 55+ years ago :afraid:
air ace strike force Midway.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun Mar 29 2020 20:20

I've never read this little Bernard Venables book, but a copy cropped up on eBay just now for a tenner.

I hovered for a while - then the seller sent me a 'buy it now' offer of £7 posted.

Took his hand off, as in the meantime I'd checked Amazon and the cheapest copy was £40! :eek:

Screenshot_20200329-183741.png

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Sun Mar 29 2020 20:35

It's fantastic.
Especially the look on Mr Cherry's face when he loses the big pike.
Is it a first edition?

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun Mar 29 2020 20:40

greencard1 wrote:
It's fantastic.
Is it a first edition?
Third impression, 1965.

(I think I've seen the picture from it you mention, but not the whole book).

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Sun Mar 29 2020 20:48

I have got 2 copies. One bought recently, but the first bought in about 1973 from the Angling Times stand at the East of England show near Peterborough. There was a casting pool near the stand with plastic rings fixed in the top end of it. A man was demonstrating casting a spinning rod using a rubber 'bomb' instead of a spinner. He demonstrated what I think is called a 'ping' cast, for when you need to fish through a hole in a hedge! He landed the bomb in the ring every time. I was spellbound, and eventually had to be literally dragged away.

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Tue Mar 31 2020 18:13

John Milford wrote:
greencard1 wrote:
It's fantastic.
Is it a first edition?
Third impression, 1965.

(I think I've seen the picture from it you mention, but not the whole book).
I think Harris Angling used it as a Christmas card one year.
I miss Harris Angling.

alanunthank
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by alanunthank » Tue Mar 31 2020 20:25

Hugh Stokers spinning and trolling for sea fish. Spent a long time in library reading. 😀

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes » Tue Mar 31 2020 21:41

20200331_213432.jpg
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Thu Apr 09 2020 07:48

I did not 'cut my teeth' on this book, but I would recommend 'Angling, Fundamental Principles' by Barrie Rickards.
I had a look at it again recently, and it is very interesting how things have changed, and not changed.
Barrie's thoughts on the Country being able to feed itself from freshwater fish was obviously written before the catastrophic recent predation.
His assertion that 'motorised' plugs would be with us within a decade, (the book was published in 1986) did not come true. His idea for treble hooks with clips at the top of the shank (so that an angler could take a pile of untangled lure bodies to the waterside, and then clip a couple of trebles on to the chosen lure) was not taken up by any hook maker.
However, there is so much varied content, written by a legendary 'thinking' angler, that I would recommend it to anyone.

P.S. There are even illustrations of circle hooks!

Sam
Roach
Roach

Post by Sam » Tue Apr 21 2020 16:58

I have so many books, fishing and otherwise I simply have no space to display them all! Early books for me included the obligatory Anglers Encyclopedia and the Fisherman's Handbook. I used to hoard every issue of Anglers Mail I could find as well, including the annuals and the Winfield books.

As I progressed as a junior specimen hunter, I found out about the works of Jim Gibbinson and Peter Stone, in particular Gravel Pit Angling. Nowadays, I can't help but think that if Peter had just put a backstop behind his lead, he would have caught a lot more and the book would have been about 2/3 shorter. Most of the book was about hitting bites that would have been nailed on a bolt rig.

I read and re-read The Big Fish Scene by Frank Guttfield many times over. I found that truly inspirational and drove me to want to catch better fish by design. Later on in life I discovered the joys of Richard Walker and added many of his classic titles to my collection. Stillwater Angling stands out for me, along with Drop Me a Line. Awesome stuff. There are many other 'outdoors lifestyle' books I own/cherish, too many to list or go into here.

I love books...

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Apr 28 2020 07:02

davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:

What ever you do don't pic up BVs Biography A Stream of Life. A really tedious and difficult read IMO. And I'm sad to say I never made it to the end.
Thanks for the warning.

I've been googling BV and found a lovely clip of him plugging for pike. Smart use of the gaff too. :thumbs:

I'd post the vid if it didn't name the loch! :laughs:

Lots of stuff on Youtube, BV fishing all over, Jack Hargreaves, Ivan Marks etc. All bring a smile to my face. :thumbs:
I've been watching Jack Hargreaves stuff. :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDsKitchen/videos
His stepson is a friend on FB and seems to be constantly trying to shut down stuff like that on YouTube as he has the sole rights to his step father's TV shows.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Apr 28 2020 08:10

Chris Hammond wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:

What ever you do don't pic up BVs Biography A Stream of Life. A really tedious and difficult read IMO. And I'm sad to say I never made it to the end.
Thanks for the warning.

I've been googling BV and found a lovely clip of him plugging for pike. Smart use of the gaff too. :thumbs:

I'd post the vid if it didn't name the loch! :laughs:

Lots of stuff on Youtube, BV fishing all over, Jack Hargreaves, Ivan Marks etc. All bring a smile to my face. :thumbs:
I've been watching Jack Hargreaves stuff. :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDsKitchen/videos
His stepson is a friend on FB and seems to be constantly trying to shut down stuff like that on YouTube as he has the sole rights to his step father's TV shows.
Maybe he's tied in with Dave Knowles who he's selling DVDs - https://daveknowles.net/product-categor ... argreaves/

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Apr 28 2020 09:43

greencard1 wrote:
His idea for treble hooks with clips at the top of the shank (so that an angler could take a pile of untangled lure bodies to the waterside, and then clip a couple of trebles on to the chosen lure) was not taken up by any hook maker.
Barrie and I used to talk and correspond about old lures quite regularly, but at the time I had not really started to research and collect really old lures (i.e. from the Victorian & Edwardian era).

I'm sure Barrie would have been highly amused to find that his 'clip on' treble idea was being used on Allcock lures over 100 years ago!

t*t-Bit 1.75in 1.JPG

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Tue Apr 28 2020 12:57

John Milford wrote:
greencard1 wrote:
His idea for treble hooks with clips at the top of the shank (so that an angler could take a pile of untangled lure bodies to the waterside, and then clip a couple of trebles on to the chosen lure) was not taken up by any hook maker.
Barrie and I used to talk and correspond about old lures quite regularly, but at the time I had not really started to research and collect really old lures (i.e. from the Victorian & Edwardian era).

I'm sure Barrie would have been highly amused to find that his 'clip on' treble idea was being used on Allcock lures over 100 years ago!

Isn't that a beautiful little thing!

Circle hooks, Burbot, flooding, writing careers, all kinds of things that have been talked about on the Pit recently are there in Barrie's book. The last time I looked there were about 6 of them for sale on fleabay, all for under a fiver. Why wouldn't you?

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Tue Apr 28 2020 13:02

What a beautiful little thing that is!

Circle hooks, Burbot, flooding, writing careers, so many things that have been talked about on the Pit recently are there in Barrie's book. There were about 6 available on fleabay last time I looked, all for under a fiver. Why wouldn't you?

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Apr 28 2020 14:09

When I first aspired to be a 'specimen hunter' these two were my go-to reads.

The Kenneth Seaman book is a prime example of not judging a book by its cover. It's all about targeting big fish from canals. Much of the info couple be applied to slow moving drains and stillwaters too.
_7513059.jpg

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Apr 28 2020 15:22

I used to deliver milk to the Prof's neighbours. His name was in the milk book but he must have stopped before I took the round on for a year or so.

I bought a couple of his books after his sad departure. He never spoke to me on any occasion in any other way than friendly and he always seemed to be cheerful and optimistic.

He's up there for me along with a handful of others in the 'notable' piking circle.