Moved to Bristol and no Permissions :(

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
mcleans99sn
Stickleback
Stickleback

Moved to Bristol and no Permissions :(

Post by mcleans99sn »

Recently had to move to Bristol from Leeds for work, Worst thing was that I had a beautiful permission for rabbit, Squirrel and crows in Leeds that I had to give up. I thought God and Cider country wold be teeming with permissions given the amount of countryside but sadly the 6 that I've tried are full up and the 3 clubs round by me have 2 year waiting lists...Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get shooting Rabbit again?

Many thanks for any fresh ideas!
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Re: Moved to Bristol and no Permissions :(

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Leg work and door knocking is the way to go, dress neatly don’t show up looking like Rambo with a boot full of guns, be courteous and polite. Also pick your times carefully, farmers work hard and long hours so sometimes do not appreciate people knocking on their door on a Sat or Sun morning, I’ve found mid mornings in the week to be best times. Having a good knowledge of the farm boundaries, stock and crops helps as it proves you have researched and taken the time to understand what requirements he may have. Make sure you have insurance and can prove it, I also have all my contact details including email, mobile number and car registration written down to give. Even if the answer is no, be polite and ask if you can leave your details.
Another good way to try is offer to beat on game shoots in the area, once you have proved yourself reliable it often leads to chances of helping the keeper with pest control.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Exactly as Brian says above.
Being an incomer with no history will make it difficult in the extreme.
You wont get far on land that is being shot for game or wildfowl so you need to do plenty of homework, footpath walking and observation.

If I was still farming I would expect a CV including ALL your details and experience along with a photograph and contact info of a couple of farmers who have long experience of you and have agreed to act as referees. Farmers trust farmers even if theyve never met and telephone call costs nothing but will reveal far more than someone would put in writing, at the same time I would also ask the Beat Officer to run a check to see if you were straight.

If you are successful remember you will be under close scrutiny from the moment you step out of your car, that anything you shoot remains the farms property and its courteous to profer it until told otherwise.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Bridgewater wildfowling club , foreshore wildfowling ... A hardy breed for hard won rewards, never done it but always read about exploits, been some rogues over the years in those environment
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Mon Mar 23 2020 16:33 -
Bridgewater wildfowling club , foreshore wildfowling ... A hardy breed for hard won rewards, never done it but always read about exploits, been some rogues over the years in those environment

Agreed, but they were also conservationists through and through.
The Wildfowlers Association of Great Britian and Ireland (WAGBI) started in 1908 was the first wildfowl conservation organisation in these islands.
Dr Jeffrey Harrison OBE WAGBI's lead scientist was a signatory to the 1971 RAMSAR agreement, the first ever global protection for wetland sites.
The Wildfowl Trust was started by Wildfowlers and WAGBI members instituted their own shooting ban during the 1962/3 winter.
WAGBI was the foundation on which the BASC was built.
Not bad for a few muddy 'fowlers chatting during tides in the Black Hut on the marshes of the Humber estuary.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mike I think they were pioneering in their understanding, rogues and thinkers alike with a common aim in their approach towards that specific environment... Nothing more thrilling than a stormy evening hearing mallard on the wing dropping in...
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

To right :thumbs:

My neighbour used to sow an old variety of barley that didnt shed, he would leave it to stand until almost Christmas before getting his old bagger combine out.
He wasn't a shooter so I did his rabbits and deer and although he knew I had a duck flight he still asked if I would have a go at some to the ducks that were going at his barley.
It was magical, laying out on my back looking up at the passing clouds listening for quacking and then the whistle of their wings as the set for decent into my decoys. A couple shot like that beats a dozen over a pond anytime.
Could be called inland 'fowling but it was gentlemans ducking really.
One night I dropped a loner, it turned out to be a snow goose, where it came from who knows but it was damn good eating all the same.

IMG_1994.JPG

Managed to find my badge from those days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mike J wrote: ↑Tue Mar 24 2020 13:13 -
To right :thumbs:

My neighbour used to sow an old variety of barley that didnt shed, he would leave it to stand until almost Christmas before getting his old bagger combine out.
He wasn't a shooter so I did his rabbits and deer and although he knew I had a duck flight he still asked if I would have a go at some to the ducks that were going at his barley.
It was magical, laying out on my back looking up at the passing clouds listening for quacking and then the whistle of their wings as the set for decent into my decoys. A couple shot like that beats a dozen over a pond anytime.
Could be called inland 'fowling but it was gentlemans ducking really.
One night I dropped a loner, it turned out to be a snow goose, where it came from who knows but it was damn good eating all the same.

IMG_1994.JPG

Evocative and in total agreement Mike,. I'm pro fieldsports in every genre, disappointed at times with what I've seen but on the whole extremely defensive of fieldsports,. Back in January I stopped to watch a shoot on a Devonshire country lane, then watched a duck go around the guns 3times obviously a pond which it had been released on, it had some height on it but 30 plus shots seen it drop into a field, my partner who isn't from the shoot fraternity wasn't impressed and neither was I, not what a as a shooting community can morally justify, wild duck shooting is a phenomenal sport, from your post I'm well aware that you've experienced and understand my comments.

Managed to find my badge from those days.
Evocative and in total agreement Mike,. I'm pro fieldsports in every genre, disappointed at times with what I've seen but on the whole extremely defensive of fieldsports,. Back in January I stopped to watch a shoot on a Devonshire country lane, then watched a duck go around the guns 3times obviously a pond which it had been released on, it had some height on it but 30 plus shots seen it drop into a field, my partner who isn't from the shoot fraternity wasn't impressed and neither was I, not what a as a shooting community can morally justify, wild duck shooting is a phenomenal sport, from your post I'm well aware that you've experienced and understand my comments.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Been past a couple of flight ponds irrigation reservoirs as I've been walking more deserted footpaths of late.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Bit off colour Dave, no football in the pictures, you throwing us a "curve ball" with that duck! πŸ‘Œ
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

:grin:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: ↑Fri Mar 27 2020 00:12 -

Perhaps there is something in your blood your not telling us about?

Looking back through a few old editions I found this.

IMG_1999.JPG

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: ↑Fri Mar 27 2020 10:37 -

IMG_1999.JPG

Well, well. On the other side of the Ribble estuary. :grin:
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

davelumb wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26 2020 23:01 -
Been past a couple of flight ponds irrigation reservoirs as I've been walking more deserted footpaths of late.

Dave Dave do you think that boat is a doerupper :scratch: :wink:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Crackoff wrote: ↑Sun Mar 29 2020 03:09 -

It's just full of water. :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

IMG_1999.JPG

There's something romantic reading about wildfowling. But I bet the reality of sitting in a marsh in the dark of a winter's night can be pretty miserable!

Here's a pic from the past - 2014

Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sun Mar 29 2020 08:22 -
Crackoff wrote: ↑Sun Mar 29 2020 03:09 -

It's just full of water. :grin:
:whatever: Next time you there see how big the hole is will ya :wink:

Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

davelumb wrote: ↑Sun Mar 29 2020 20:44 -

IMG_1999.JPG

There's something romantic reading about wildfowling. But I bet the reality of sitting in a marsh in the dark of a winter's night can be pretty miserable!

Here's a pic from the past - 2014

Not done foreshore Dave, but plenty of inland flighting with a few forays on geese, I can only speak from my personal experience but the level of anticipation is huge, your senses are sharpened, eyesight strained and ears pricked, I've sat in many a hedge knowing that within a split second you can have that chance to pull through on your target, or as often happened a 'plop' when the teal dropped in, unsighted and unchecked, but then the level of anticipation fishing use to sharpen my senses, whereas now I'm the reluctant fisherman beyond that of taking my boys or walking new stretches with a plan to be back..... Rarely do I though, unless a particular canal that has piqued my curiosity.