Trout season

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
mark1970
Stickleback
Stickleback

Trout season

Post by mark1970 »

Brown trout season starts tomorrow 15 march anybody going out.
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Trout season

Post by keeponchucking »

Not starting until the 17th on the rivers here. I'll definately be heading out to lure fish for some. Main river is still up so hoping it drops a good bit before then.
Marvin Farrell
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Early Apil for me and my first time after Trout with a fly rod as opposed to using small cranks etc. Been building up my fly selection with a few drys, really looking forward to doing something new.

IMG_20200315_101500~6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Here our Browns start on April 1st, tourists two weeks later.
As the river is still out in the fields and rising I might find myself doing an English version of flats fishing if the trout go wandering.

Early May will be my first foray, but if the Rudd start topping I will be giving them a chuck.

IMG_1971.JPG

Drys, nymphs and inbetweeners, all from Orvis @ 50p each when their offers on.
Most successful by a mile is clipped and trimmed Grey Wulf, for foriegners anything thing small and gold, anything silver a black gnat.

(Please don't get me started on tourists)!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Ours started yesterday (25th March) here in Yorkshire but I had a trip to the wrong side of the hills on Monday pre lockdown and had my first brown of the season on a streamer, a pb length wise at 63cm 😎
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

mart_mscustomlures wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26 2020 03:25 -
Ours started yesterday (25th March) here in Yorkshire but I had a trip to the wrong side of the hills on Monday pre lockdown and had my first brown of the season on a streamer, a pb length wise at 63cm 😎

Do I say well done, accuse you of being a jammy b or seeth at your luck (skill) and opportunity.

:hit:

When will we next cast a fly I wonder?
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

63cm , that’s a beauty
Regards
Tom
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

63cm that is a beauty! Wouldn't have minded catching this one on the fly, unfortunately I had it trotting a worm for grayling, 52cm from the river Annan back in November. I played it with my heart in my mouth and my knees knocking like jelly, thought I was attached to the grayling of my dreams, until this "spotted pirate" started leaping all over the place πŸ™ˆ
image.jpeg
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

dannytaylor wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26 2020 17:57 -
63cm that is a beauty! Wouldn't have minded catching this one on the fly, unfortunately I had it trotting a worm for grayling, 52cm from the river Annan back in November. I played it with my heart in my mouth and my knees knocking like jelly, thought I was attached to the grayling of my dreams, until this "spotted pirate" started leaping all over the place πŸ™ˆ

image.jpeg
I hope you are not looking for sympathy Danny :wink: , I would have been well made up with that fish.

Will
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Will Smith wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26 2020 23:50 -

image.jpeg
I hope you are not looking for sympathy Danny :wink: , I would have been well made up with that fish.

Will

Definitely mixed emotions that one πŸ˜‚ Bloody spawned out the thing was like a serpent πŸ˜‚
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

dannytaylor wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26 2020 23:51 -
Will Smith wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26 2020 23:50 -

image.jpeg

Will

Definitely mixed emotions that one πŸ˜‚ Bloody spawned out the thing was like a serpent πŸ˜‚
Agreed, I have had them thinner than that mind you Danny, she will fill up again I hope.

Will.
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26 2020 11:57 -
mart_mscustomlures wrote: ↑Thu Mar 26 2020 03:25 -

Do I say well done, accuse you of being a jammy b or seeth at your luck (skill) and opportunity.

:hit:

When will we next cast a fly I wonder?
Magic fairy dust on every fly that leaves the vice mate πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
IMG_20200323_103217-picsay.jpg
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Came to a streamer I came up with about 7yrs ago that got dubbed the Martins minnow when it appeared in an article in TFF, the names kind of stuck since then and gained a reputation for catching lots of and also big trout. Works ace for perch in firetiger and roach flavour too. If you've ever watched perch Pro on YouTube Daniel and Steffan always use my pattern

BTW Mike I finally figured out adding attachments πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
IMG_20200322_095804-picsay.jpg
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

mart_mscustomlures wrote: ↑Fri Mar 27 2020 00:33 -
Came to a streamer I came up with about 7yrs ago that got dubbed the Martins minnow when it appeared in an article in TFF, the names kind of stuck since then and gained a reputation for catching lots of and also big trout. Works ace for perch in firetiger and roach flavour too. If you've ever watched perch Pro on YouTube Daniel and Steffan always use my pattern

Do you sale these mart ?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

What a nice little shoal you've made for yourself.

I tie hookups with girlie hair extensions on the Clouser dumbbell style for bass, but Ive never tried one on the rivers.
Do you have a sea trout run where you are? They have been my favourite gamefish even I was in my teens, first as Peel in Devon, then as White Trout on the Blackwater, now ST's on my Wessex rivers. Something very magical about fishing a pool in darkness with nothing but owls as company, daft thing is during the Mayfly hatch I can catch them under the sun on upstream drys!
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Steve Moore wrote: ↑Fri Mar 27 2020 09:41 -

Do you sale these mart ?
I do mate, if you're on social media I have a page MScustomflies on fb and Instagram, tie pretty much anything for chasing predators
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Thanks Mart, I don't do any social media I'm afraid.
They look like jig flies ?
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

They're tied on fly jig hooks with slotted tungsten beads, so whilst they are technically jig flies I class them as flies. The 5.5mm tungsten beaded version would be around 1.5 - 2g. They can of course be tied in traditional jig hooks for spinning gear, I tie a fair few jig flies for folks
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Would it be possible to make them with 4g jigheads,
And how much do you charge mart,
Thanks
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mike J wrote: ↑Fri Mar 27 2020 10:23 -

I tie hookups with girlie hair extensions on the Clouser dumbbell style for bass, but Ive never tried one on the rivers.
Do you have a sea trout run where you are? They have been my favourite gamefish even I was in my teens, first as Peel in Devon, then as White Trout on the Blackwater, now ST's on my Wessex rivers. Something very magical about fishing a pool in darkness with nothing but owls as company, daft thing is during the Mayfly hatch I can catch them under the sun on upstream drys!
Mike,

Read an article on young boys been taken to pools on the chalkstreams , almost as a rights of passage in their quest on seatrout, sure there was a bit each year in the field magazine, bit like the wildfowling we spoke of, another section of the fieldsports fraternity albeit a subsection. Again something evocative about going into darkness, though in saying that I've read many a book on poaching as a romantic notion of man at one with the night, setting wires with a dog by his side!
Round here the use of vehicles to run over deer isn't widely known to people but unfortunately with the advent of stubble later on in the year will bring them out again.

Wonder if John Humphreys the author, rest his soul would have incorporated that in his stories of poachers gone by......
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

As a nipper I went on a few forays at the 'season of the year' with my Father.
On our autumn rambles he taught me where to look to find the black and white pyramids and on a good night how to slip a hand to get both legs. Also how to make a bunny loop and to rub the shiney area with a bit of cow sht so the Dukes keepers didn't spot it.
Most wires I ever set was 200 (legally) that got me 32 and into trouble as I didnt have enough sales, I only set that many because I was loaned the wires to see what I could get. A dozen was my norm and usually got my mum the 2-3 she wanted for the week.

When I was farming we had a gang who drove around at night with longdogs, we made an axle breaker from a WWII leaflet on invasion defences, it got their car, a jeep when they had to abandon and turned out to be stolen. They returned on foot and one dog ended the night with a HP stomach ache. Payback came when they cut the fences and let the sheep onto the road and tried (unsuccessfully) to steal my new car.

We should start a thread about all this, I know for a fact were not the only ones.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Got many stories Mike , the worst ones for outright spite and disregard are the gypsies, a friend hit them hard and instantly regretted his actions, they made his work life and his home life a living hell. And ultimately he was forced to embrace their presence on what was a major commercial shoot with 37k to wood over 4000 acres.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

A neighbour had a gypsy encampment stop on a byeway alongside his fields, he quickly had a decent calf vanish and blamed them so he filled his spreader at a nearby chicken farm and spread the lot over the caravans, washing and abusive occupants.
The next morning all his milking equipment had been stolen and with nobody in the area milking we all helped out doing it by hand, 9 of us doing nearly 300 Holsteins!
I never thought my hands could ache so much!

A guy I met shot one, he said a barrel of no 6 rolled it over like a rabbit, he ended with his skull split with a halfshaft.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Local farmer shot his .22 rimfire through the camp, he got 6 years inside as the prosecution showed he was aware there was men women and children present, the fact this guy couldn't run his own animals on his ground due to horses and goats tethered or loose and abundant fly tipping in gateways and fields amounted to zero defence, no good comes from their kind, bullying pack mentality witty no regard for fellow man...
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

We get the very odd migratory on one of my rivers but they're few and far between
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

mart_mscustomlures wrote: ↑Sat Mar 28 2020 23:40 -

We get the very odd migratory on one of my rivers but they're few and far between

Have you been on a few pools as the light goes, only then do you know if/what is really there.
One river I fish they hardly move to a fly but its stuffed with them and they can be caught in bait, on another they only jump when the bats are out and will savage a fly. Annoying but I love 'em!'
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I had every intention of getting the fly gear out in the closed season but that looks very unlikely.

Could I ask you more accomplished fluff chuckers on here to give your top patterns, be it wet, dry or nymph etc, for each part of the season.

A top local pattern for pretty much most of the season seems to be greenwells glory and was the first out of the box for me when I first set out a few years ago. I dabbled for a couple of seasons, but my syndicate took over and the fly fishing got totally neglected and I've basically learned nothing.

I was also getting quite enthused with the idea of salt water fly fishing. The whole shore fishing idea has got a spark ignited in my fishing again.
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Mike J wrote: ↑Sun Mar 29 2020 06:51 -

Have you been on a few pools as the light goes, only then do you know if/what is really there.
One river I fish they hardly move to a fly but its stuffed with them and they can be caught in bait, on another they only jump when the bats are out and will savage a fly. Annoying but I love 'em!'
Fished a couple of rivers on streamers after dark in hope of hitting a big fish. Only had the one average sized fish up to now. Fully intend to try a a few mice patterns as it comes dark this year but I generally only get to fish Monday day times due to work shifts so a weekend evening pass has to be wrestled from the Mrs and I rarely win πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

mart_mscustomlures wrote: ↑Mon Mar 30 2020 12:32 -
Mike J wrote: ↑Sun Mar 29 2020 06:51 -

Fished a couple of rivers on streamers after dark in hope of hitting a big fish. Only had the one average sized fish up to now. Fully intend to try a a few mice patterns as it comes dark this year but I generally only get to fish Monday day times due to work shifts so a weekend evening pass has to be wrestled from the Mrs and I rarely win πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Jambo's either catch or are ignored completely.
I always finish a my first pool with a few chucks then start the next without a change.
Here is a few of mine to get you interested.

IMG_2003.JPG
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rob1980 »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Sun Mar 29 2020 19:27 -
I had every intention of getting the fly gear out in the closed season but that looks very unlikely.

Could I ask you more accomplished fluff chuckers on here to give your top patterns, be it wet, dry or nymph etc, for each part of the season.

A top local pattern for pretty much most of the season seems to be greenwells glory and was the first out of the box for me when I first set out a few years ago. I dabbled for a couple of seasons, but my syndicate took over and the fly fishing got totally neglected and I've basically learned nothing.

I was also getting quite enthused with the idea of salt water fly fishing. The whole shore fishing idea has got a spark ignited in my fishing again.
I'd say a good starting point for dry flies when it's a warm evening and things are hatching, keep it simple and use any small black dry, eg black gnat, midge, black ant, if thes mayfly hatch try and match it. It generally works on my small wild brownie River.