Knives

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Knives

Post by Chris Hammond »

I've never bought quality chef's knives before but I've got £78 left on some Xmas gift card and cant think of anything else to buy. Argos (who accept this particular card) have a set of 5 for £90. I dont mind bumping the cash up a £20/30 if there's any recommendations forthcoming.

Just thought I'd sound it out on here in case anyone is qualified or experienced enough to give some insight
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Knives

Post by Duncan Holmes »

We have Robert Welch kitchen knifes and they hold an edge really well.

IMO a lot of knife for the money.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Got Global knives , nice balanced and hold an edge with some TLC, but in saying that I've a few opinel knives at the other end, and these are no nonsense knives, easy to sharpen, easy to blunt but that's the trade, the global knives need considered sharpening Chris as the hardened steel will not take kindly to run of the mill sharpeners.
I actually like using both, but the time and consideration to keeping the edge on the global is needed to uphold these.

I use a lansky standard sharpening system, this is a set of 3 stones plus vice/angle guage ....
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Check out Victorinox Chris that would be my choice if I was really serious but can be pricey for the amateur.

I get away with 4 knives for all my cooking. A carving/cooking knife, a cleaver/chopper, a filleting knife and a pairing/peeling knife. The cleaver and carver are Sabatier and good value.

If I did any home butchering I'd get a semi flex boning knife but I don't even do a rabbit now so no point.
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Do you need to buy a set? Usually, buying a set of knives leaves you with several you’ll never use, far better, in my opinion, to buy the knives you’ll use, carving knife, boning knife and a smaller veg prep knife for starters. If you can, buy plain carbon steel they’re far easier to maintain but need a bit of care, wash them then dry them immediately or they’ll rust. A drop of cooking oil or olive oil, etc, on the blades will keep them protected.

Names to look out for: Sabatier, as has already been mentioned, Taylor’s Eye Witness, Victorinox, also mentioned. If you can find them, try Opinel, they do a small selection of chefs knives which are very good, but they might be only available in France. Sadly, for £78 you’ll be lucky to get one decent knife as quality knives don’t come cheap - a decent Santoku, a Japanese chefs knife would run to £250 - £350 on its own!

When you’ve got your knife, or knives, learn how to sharpen them and don’t, for gods sake, use any kind of powered sharpener or anything describing itself as ‘a chefs best friend’ or whatever, it is will ruin your expensive knife in days! An old, smooth, butchers steel is best once you’ve mastered it!
Bob
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi Chris,
First do you like a pointed blade or a drop point blade where the cutting edge is almost straight?
Next its important to know how you cut, either by pushing straight down, pushing forward and back, or pulling back? Why because some knives are not designed to be universal eg; Japanese cut by pulling the blade, chefs or samurai they all cut the same, most cut the opposite.

What are you cutting onto? because a good blade will cut a work surface in a single stroke. I use coloured poly boards cuz they dont blunt knives but do need replacing every year or so.
A good sharpener is an essential, the best Ive ever found; https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-diamond ... 55mm/cc199

I do all the cooking and have about ten knives.
The very best for cutting and lifting cut pieces off the board is an all stainless Chinese Chefs knife, you can lift all thr slices of anything in a single movement, I only use mine for slicing the veg. for crispy duck and as a chopper for lamb bones, they are cheap, stainless, heavy, don't bend and rarely need a sharpen https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-stainle ... 205mm/l259
I have 2 James Martin sale/promo Japanese style chefs knives, they are only sharpened on the fluted side, a 2" wide blade, thick heavy blade which will wont bend when smashing garlic or hand hammering thro chicken bones.
Two few cheapo (white handle) blades for veg and fruit and a professional (blue poly handle) filleting knife which doubles for wafer thin slices of air cured ham, two pro quality boneing knives and a couple from when I sided beef.
My regular knife cost less than £10 from a Chinese supermarket, I can get it razor sharp (hairs off arms sharp) and it has a very strong blade.

As it seems your limited where you can spend best check whats available online and ask if you need more advice, most amateur chefs go through umpteen blades before finding a favourite.
IMG_2022.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mike J on Thu Apr 30 2020 11:24, edited 2 times in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Stewlaws wrote: Wed Apr 29 2020 20:22 -

I use a lansky standard sharpening system, this is a set of 3 stones plus vice/angle guage ....
:thumbs:

Ive got the 5 stone diamond Lansky kit for all my knives.
First got one of these from the US about 30yrs ago when I first started offshore working with the yanks.

As for knives, I have a combination of Zwilling J.A Henckels and Sabitier knives. Both hold a superb edge and are very comfortable and balanced for the way I cut.

Out of interest Stew what angle do you put on your blades? I used to put a 17 on all mine but have stuck to 25 now as I find it lasts longer.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Hi Karl,

I use a 20% but run a steel over every other day, just to straighten any edge, just lately been lax, it's not until part way through prepping I break off and put the edge back on do you fully appreciate a sharp blade.

Stew
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Ffs chaps you're talking in Klingon! :laughs:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

I get that REALLY good quality is extremely expensive but I'm not expecting to spend at that level. I also get that it pays to buy individual knives but again that's probably more knife than I need.

I'd like a proper fish filleting knife. (The Mustad one I have is blunter than a cricket bat!) Maybe a Chinese style chopper and just one decent general knife for chopping veg.

Sounds like I should use the voucher for something else.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Are we suggesting these would be a waste of time?
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2028664
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Chris Hammond wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 22:22 -
Richardson are an old established name so they’re probably worth their money. I would really need to handle them first to get a feel of them before I bought them.
Bob
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I would buy and certainly use them.
Richarson are the original maker of proper working knives and their Lamb Foot pen knives were to be found in every Farmer or countrymans pocket.

Carbonising wood, especially ash, handle makes the wood harder, its how the made spears before adding a flint tip.

Worth every penny but Id tell them to keep the block and deduct the value, then keep the knives in a drawer, out of sight.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Mike J wrote: Fri May 01 2020 11:26 -

Richarson are the original maker of proper working knives and their Lamb Foot pen knives were to be found in every Farmer or countrymans pocket.

Carbonising wood, especially ash, handle makes the wood harder, its how the made spears before adding a flint tip.

Worth every penny but Id tell them to keep the block and deduct the value, then keep the knives in a drawer, out of sight.
I think Argos might politely refuse that request :roll:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bob Watson wrote: Fri May 01 2020 11:34 -

I think Argos might politely refuse that request :roll:

No need for sarcasm (roll eyes) I know nothing about Argos and have never been in their shops, but your mention of 'they' seems to indicate the manager/s have no control over sales.

:handshake:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Oh come on Mike, I'd be willing to wager that you googled Argos before responding.

I perhaps should have put a (wink) :roll: next to the (roll eyes) :wink:

Argos is basically a catalogue shop. You go in the shop and browse an instore catalogue, fill in a chitty with a product number, take it to a cashier and pay, the cashier processes the order and staff behind a counter at another end of the shop bring it out (after about six hours :laughs: ) and you produce your receipt.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Chris, I’d suggest getting a decent chefs knife (20cm), should be able to pick up a more than suitable one for £70-80 :wink: and a small paring knife of any of the brands suggested.

You should just about be able to pick up 1 of each of these with your budget. Pretty sure all of the mentioned have ranges to suit different budgets :wink:

I’d then invest in the 3 stone Lansky kit. Either diamond or wet stone. With this it takes all the guesswork out of keeping a really good edge :thumbs:
With a Lansky you can keep even the cheapest knives razor sharp, you just need to polish the edge more often than with a good high carbon blade :wink:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Fri May 01 2020 13:15 -
Chris, I’d suggest getting a decent chefs knife (20cm), should be able to pick up a more than suitable one for £70-80 :wink: and a small paring knife of any of the brands suggested.

You should just about be able to pick up 1 of each of these with your budget. Pretty sure all of the mentioned have ranges to suit different budgets :wink:

I’d then invest in the 3 stone Lansky kit. Either diamond or wet stone. With this it takes all the guesswork out of keeping a really good edge :thumbs:
With a Lansky you can keep even the cheapest knives razor sharp, you just need to polish the edge more often than with a good high carbon blade :wink:
Cheers Karl. What would you recommend by way off a quality fish filleting knife?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Cheers Mike. I had a lovely little Lambsfoot shut knife but lost it along the way.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Ask Loz Harrop to make you some knives. :joker:

https://youtu.be/zacHCAHTlck?t=377
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri May 01 2020 13:18 -

Cheers Karl. What would you recommend by way off a quality fish filleting knife?
I don’t have a fillet knife, as I don’t really need one. But my son uses Wusthof knives and really rates them.

You should be able to pick one of those up from around £50 (depending on range :grin: )
So you could get a decent fillet and decent chef/utility knife for £100. This should cover 90% of what you’ll use a knife for. Just need a small paring knife and you’re sorted :thumbs:

A knife is a very personal thing, what I find comfortable and easy to use, you may not like, not suit your style of use.

It’s always nice to be able to handle and get the feel of a knife to get the best handle/balance for you.. :wink:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I use my Rapala filleting knife Chris. It lives in my sea gear but if I'm filleting at home, it comes out.

Pretty much like this one https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-NK03039-B ... B001NXC8A8

It does the job very well!

Edit: I don't use those sharpeners in the pic!!
Last edited by Bob Watson on Fri May 01 2020 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

The thing I got for sea fishing for a tenner might as well be a boot scraper. Its impossible to get an edge on it!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Mine's a decent knife Chris. I just like to fillet "at sea" where possible and safe. Nowt worse than getting shot of fish carcasses at home :thumbs:

My sea "work and bait prep" knife is a mustad few quid job with a razor edge that nearly caught a mate out the first time he used it to gut a decent cod, he was expecting his usual "push". Instead he got an easy straight cut from a******e to gills with the words; "f**k me that's sharp" or something like that. :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The blue handled knife in my photograph is a an ICEL professional filleting knife, apx £10 if you look around.
Hygiplas also make good quality, low cost pro knives, all their knives come with big comfortable handles if thats a problem.

Tip; Blue handles and cutting boards are for fish.

Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I forgot these!!

https://morakniv.se/en/

I use mora for camping/bushcrafting but they're a good knife maker, still made in Sweden as far as I'm aware!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Fri May 01 2020 14:35 -
Mine's a decent knife Chris. I just like to fillet "at sea" where possible and safe. Nowt worse than getting shot of fish carcasses at home :thumbs:

My sea "work and bait prep" knife is a mustad few quid job with a razor edge that nearly caught a mate out the first time he used it to gut a decent cod, he was expecting his usual "push". Instead he got an easy straight cut from a******e to gills with the words; "f**k me that's sharp" or something like that. :laughs:
I've just checked and I'm not sure if I dreamed the Mustad bit. Mine has 'Neros' written on it. It was definitely a cheapo. I also wonder if the sharpness thing might be partly my fault. I've no real idea about how to put an edge on a knife properly.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Fri May 01 2020 13:48 -

I don’t have a fillet knife, as I don’t really need one. But my son uses Wusthof knives and really rates them.

You should be able to pick one of those up from around £50 (depending on range :grin: )
So you could get a decent fillet and decent chef/utility knife for £100. This should cover 90% of what you’ll use a knife for. Just need a small paring knife and you’re sorted :thumbs:

A knife is a very personal thing, what I find comfortable and easy to use, you may not like, not suit your style of use.

It’s always nice to be able to handle and get the feel of a knife to get the best handle/balance for you.. :wink:
I would expect to pay up to £100 for a really decent fish knife and in this case I would be prepared to stump up for quality. I'll perhaps give those you mention a price check.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Fri May 01 2020 15:46 -

The blue handled knife in my photograph is a an ICEL professional filleting knife, apx £10 if you look around.
Hygiplas also make good quality, low cost pro knives, all their knives come with big comfortable handles if thats a problem.

Tip; Blue handles and cutting boards are for fish.

I have zero butchery or filleting skills Mike so I've no real idea of what would suit me ergonomically. I can tell you I have increasingly severe arthritis in my hands.