Greetings from Belfast

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
redgreenandblack
Stickleback
Stickleback

Greetings from Belfast

Post by redgreenandblack »

Hello

I joined this forum recently and thought I'd better introduce myself. My name is Mark and I'm in Belfast. Haven't done much piking for a many years but intend to start again (Covid-permitting). I started piking in the 70's when there were loads of pike in Northern Ireland and we had good days regularly in the mid to late 70's and early 80's in particular. I also enjoyed a lot of good fishing for pike across the border at that time.

The last few decades have seen the sad decline of pike fishing in Northern Ireland as well as in the Republic due to issues with which you are all no doubt familiar - too much poaching including widespread illegal netting, fish being killed for eating by relatively-recently-arrived people with different cultural norms, pollution, other water quality deterioration, zebra mussels reducing numbers of prey fish, cormorants and more. To say nothing of gill-netting on the big Western Loughs that would have probably the best fishing available anywhere if the big fish weren't being netted out regularly on the spurious justification of protecting brown trout for fly-fishermen. I've only been doing a bit of tench fishing in counties Leitrim/Cavan in May/June these past few seasons.

I follow the Irish Angling Update website weekly and in the Republic at least there seem to be lots signs of recovery over these past several years if the regular reports of pike catches on the big Shannon lakes in particular are an indicator.

I also have inferred from reports and from other anglers I've chatted with that in the Republic in particular, the efforts of the authorities and the conservation-minded anglers have had a welcome effect on reducing the impact of poaching/pike killers. Also, keeping quiet about catches on the smaller loughs and rivers is important - as you all know :wink:

We're not allowed to live-bait in Ireland, north or south - haven't been for years - thus removing in my previous experience the most effective method of catching pike.

I sometimes put a dead-bait rod out for pike when float fishing for tench - usually to no avail - but as my mate said a few years ago when I was moaning about the lack of runs - just try throwing a live-bait out there and see how long it lasts! I didn't.

Anyway, I had one brief pike session only last year and had a nice 12-pounder on the fly rod. I'm really enjoying reading the various posts on the forum and it's definitely whetting my appetite to get out on the waters again. Great banter as well. Lots of terminal tackle set-ups in particular that I'm not familiar with.

All the best and hope we can all get out sooner rather than later.

Mark
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Greetings from Belfast

Post by Monts »

Nice one Mark. :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Welcome to the pit Mark.As you say hopefully we can all get out and wet a line soon.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Welcome aboard Mark
Tight lines :handshake:
Regards
Tom
redgreenandblack
Stickleback
Stickleback

Thank you.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard :handshake:

Quite a few of your fellow countrymen on here but like most of us they dont catch much. :wink:

Forget about livebaits, get yourself a stock of local fish frozen down for bait in the winter, but dont sit and wait for a fish to find you, go roaming with a single rod and find them.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Welcome to the forum 👍🏼
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Welcome aboard 👍 hopefully we’ll all be wetting some lines soon
redgreenandblack
Stickleback
Stickleback

Yes, the single rod with a sink and draw deadbait I remember was a killing method for me too in winter. More exciting too when the pike hit the bait than sitting over static rods. I've got a load of frozen sprats in my freezer ready to go!
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Welcome to the forum pal, lough erne systems my local water :thumbs:
redgreenandblack
Stickleback
Stickleback

Thanks Gavin, I fished the river above Belturbet last year, big pools and riffles, and also had a general snoop around the river at Crom estate in my kayak. But it's huge in terms of choice! So much promising looking water - looked good but wasn't fishing that time and had no FF on the kayak. I think the Erne system is my best bet for getting back into some decent piking again. Only the 55 square miles to explore!
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

redgreenandblack wrote: Thu May 07 2020 18:19 -
Thanks Gavin, I fished the river above Belturbet last year, big pools and riffles, and also had a general snoop around the river at Crom estate in my kayak. But it's huge in terms of choice! So much promising looking water - looked good but wasn't fishing that time and had no FF on the kayak. I think the Erne system is my best bet for getting back into some decent piking again. Only the 55 square miles to explore!
Its a stunning place to fish, some good fish in it too, good luck mate.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

With a name like that you must be a Glen man lol 😂
redgreenandblack wrote: Thu May 07 2020 18:19 -
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Welcome aboard Mark.

I'm hearing that the Pike Anglers Club may be getting re - energised in your area in the near future - I don't know any more than that right now?

(Keep em peeled it may be useful to you face)
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Sorry for the belated response I'd missed this. Judging by the quality of your earlier post, I look forward to seeing a few more from you mate! :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
redgreenandblack
Stickleback
Stickleback

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated, and yes I am a Glentoran supporter......👍