G'day

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

G'day

Post by Old Mate »

G'day from the Sunshine Coast, Australia. I am an exiled piker and long time lurker on here so I thought I should try and contribute where possible. No Esox locally, but lots of other fishing opportunities with freshwater, estuary and surf within 20km. I also have several fishing associated vices including rod building, boats, 4WD's etc...

Cheers, Andy
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Re: G'day

Post by Mattjb »

Welcome to the pit Andy.Nice part of the world to live in.Went there 10 years ago to visit my uncle and aunt who live at Noosa.Had a dabble with some fishing while I was there,a small sting ray certainly put a bend in my 5-30g travel rod!Do you miss the piking or are you enjoying the sea fishing too much?!
Matt
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Hi Andy
I must admit Australia is on my bucket list
I’d love to fish for the eels
Regards
Tom
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Hi Andy, good to hear from you. :thumbs:

Do you fish for Murray Cod? I'd like to see one of those on the forum! :cool:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Welcome aboard :handshake:

Sunshine, delicious food, lots if curvy blondes and you want to think about what you left behind, you must be downright bonkers!

:laughs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Mattjb wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 04:57 -
Welcome to the pit Andy.Nice part of the world to live in.Went there 10 years ago to visit my uncle and aunt who live at Noosa.Had a dabble with some fishing while I was there,a small sting ray certainly put a bend in my 5-30g travel rod!Do you miss the piking or are you enjoying the sea fishing too much?!
Matt
Hi Matt
Great spot when it's not on fire! We are close to Noosa, are your rellies still around? Rays are a real hand full on any tackle. I mostly fish the fresh for bass, but the Noosa River is still great. The beach is pretty slow lately due to commercial netting. I still miss pike fishing - sitting in "nature" watching a couple of floats is really relaxing. I am planning some offshore adventures for pelagics in the near future...
Cheers, Andy
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Happy Hayes wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 09:27 -
Hi Andy
Regards
Tom
Hi Tom
I get big eels on lures as a bycatch whilst bass fishing. They are a real hand full on 6lb braid - luckily they have no stamina so they tire fast. And then you get them in the boat...Biggest was 1.2m long but I didn't weigh that, just happy to get my favourite lure back. Biggest weighed was 7 1/2 lb (85cm). I have never tried bait for them. Have you read Barry McConnells book?
This part of the world is definitely bucket worthy!
Cheers, Andy
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Old Mate wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 11:49 -
Matt
Hi Matt
Great spot when it's not on fire! We are close to Noosa, are your rellies still around? Rays are a real hand full on any tackle. I mostly fish the fresh for bass, but the Noosa River is still great. The beach is pretty slow lately due to commercial netting. I still miss pike fishing - sitting in "nature" watching a couple of floats is really relaxing. I am planning some offshore adventures for pelagics in the near future...
Cheers, Andy
Yes mate ,they are still in Noosa,they live not far from the golf course where you can watch the kangaroos wandering about.Uncle is a decorator and did a lot on the holiday lets etc in the area.They moved over from Bristol first to Melbourne then up your way.
We kayaked down the Noosa river or possibly a side river starting way up launching under a big road bridge.Caught some small brim I think they were.We also swam down nearer the sea but I didn't realise there are some big bull sharks in there. My aunty sent a news clip of a capture of a big bull right under the same bridge we kayaked from. I loved the creatures and the nature over there . Spending xmas there was brilliant,so much more chilled than here,did the barbie brekkie on the beach xmas morning etc.
We are talking about doing a trip over around Xmas 2021 as my girl will be 10 at that time and a good age to go but whether funds and situations will allow who knows!
Cheers,Matt
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

John Milford wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 09:49 -
Hi Andy, good to hear from you. :thumbs:

Do you fish for Murray Cod? I'd like to see one of those on the forum! :cool:
Hi John
We get Mary River cod up here and I have caught only one in 25 years. Murray cod fishing is further south and barra further north. In the local dam I get bass, golden perch, saratoga, eels, eel-tailed catfish (Tandanus) and rare cod. Murray cod are on the list when the grey nomad adventures start.
Cheers, Andy
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

I recently reread Barry's book, one of the best angling books I reckon.Would love to have a go at catching one of those beasts but not sure about wrestling with one though!
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Mike J wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 09:50 -
Welcome aboard :handshake:

Sunshine, delicious food, lots if curvy blondes and you want to think about what you left behind, you must be downright bonkers!

:laughs:
Hi Mike
No chance of me leaving Australia! But I do miss pike fishing, perhaps I am just lazy and want to watch a couple of floats all day? Static baits here attract turtles!
Cheers, Andy
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Old Mate wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 13:25 -
Hi Andy
Regards
Tom
Hi Tom
I get big eels on lures as a bycatch whilst bass fishing. They are a real hand full on 6lb braid - luckily they have no stamina so they tire fast. And then you get them in the boat...Biggest was 1.2m long but I didn't weigh that, just happy to get my favourite lure back. Biggest weighed was 7 1/2 lb (85cm). I have never tried bait for them. Have you read Barry McConnells book?
Cheers, Andy
Haven’t read his book yet ( can’t believe I haven’t bought it )
Seen and read many videos and articles about the eels in Australia
Hopefully get there one Day
Regards
Tom
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Mattjb wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 13:37 -
Matt
Hi Matt
Cheers, Andy
Yes mate ,they are still in Noosa,they live not far from the golf course where you can watch the kangaroos wandering about.Uncle is a decorator and did a lot on the holiday lets etc in the area.They moved over from Bristol first to Melbourne then up your way.
We kayaked down the Noosa river or possibly a side river starting way up launching under a big road bridge.Caught some small brim I think they were.We also swam down nearer the sea but I didn't realise there are some big bull sharks in there. My aunty sent a news clip of a capture of a big bull right under the same bridge we kayaked from. I loved the creatures and the nature over there . Spending xmas there was brilliant,so much more chilled than here,did the barbie brekkie on the beach xmas morning etc.
We are talking about doing a trip over around Xmas 2021 as my girl will be 10 at that time and a good age to go but whether funds and situations will allow who knows!
Cheers,Matt
Matt
Bull sharks only "bite" during low visibility conditions so you were safe - theoretically! We live on 5 acres of bush, so lots of creatures about - a possum is eating the bird seed on the deck as I type (dark here). We can go for a fish when you come over. We used to swim on Noosa main beach at 6am Christmas morning with 200 others - unfortunately you can't feed the fish anymore, so the handfull of bread around the tourist in the water fun is over.
Cheers, Andy
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Happy Hayes wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 13:49 -
Hi Andy
Regards
Tom
Hi Tom
Cheers, Andy
Regards
Tom

Tom
I will have to try bait for the eels, perhaps a strip of ox heart that we feed the kookaburras will work? Get the book and get planning they wake up in our spring, September on.
Cheers, Andy
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Old Mate wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 14:11 -
Matt
Hi Matt
Cheers, Andy
Cheers,Matt
Matt
Bull sharks only "bite" during low visibility conditions so you were safe - theoretically! We live on 5 acres of bush, so lots of creatures about - a possum is eating the bird seed on the deck as I type (dark here). We can go for a fish when you come over. We used to swim on Noosa main beach at 6am Christmas morning with 200 others - unfortunately you can't feed the fish anymore, so the handfull of bread around the tourist in the water fun is over.
Cheers, Andy
That's a kind offer Andy,I might take you up on that if I make it over.The Bass sound interesting ,I've caught sea bass before but not the freshwater variety.What sort of size do they go up to?
Cheers,Matt
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Old Mate wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 14:34 -
Happy Hayes wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 13:49 -
Hi Andy
Regards
Tom
Hi Tom
Cheers, Andy
Regards
Tom

Tom
Sorry mate - I stuffed up!
I meant to say I will have to try bait for the eels. Barry and his mate used road kill, perhaps a strip of ox heart that we feed the kookaburras will work? Get the book and get planning they wake up in our spring, September on. Barra and murray cod would be on my list before the eels...
Cheers, Andy
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Tom
Sorry mate - I stuffed up! My text is disappearing.
I meant to say I will have to try bait for the eels. Barry and his mate used road kill, perhaps a strip of ox heart that we feed the kookaburras will work? Get the book and get planning they wake up in our spring, September on. Barra and murray cod would be on my list before the eels...
Cheers, Andy
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Mattjb wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 15:04 -
Matt
Hi Matt
Cheers, Andy
Cheers,Matt
Matt
Cheers, Andy
That's a kind offer Andy,I might take you up on that if I make it over.The Bass sound interesting ,I've caught sea bass before but not the freshwater variety.What sort of size do they go up to?
Cheers,Matt
Australian bass are perch-like without the stripes. I have caught them to 5lb but more usually the better ones are around 3lb. Great fighters and fantastic fun on surface lures. I will post a picture when I work out how...
Cheers, Andy
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Old Mate wrote: Fri May 01 2020 14:28 -
Mattjb wrote: Thu Apr 30 2020 15:04 -
Matt
Hi Matt
Cheers, Andy
Cheers,Matt
Matt
Cheers, Andy
Cheers,Matt
Australian bass are perch-like without the stripes. I have caught them to 5lb but more usually the better ones are around 3lb. Great fighters and fantastic fun on surface lures. I will post a picture when I work out how...
Cheers, Andy
Hi Andy .When you are writing the text you will see attatchments below the preview/ submit buttons.
Click attatchments and options for uploading should come up.you'll see a green line for each pic as its loading then a green tick when it's done.press preview and pics should be on the previewed message. Sometimes they don't load the right way up and I haven't got a clue what to do about that!
Hope that helps,
Matt
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Andy click on the quote on my last message,somehow what I wrote about posting pics got attached to the quote !
Cheers Matt
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Old Mate wrote: Fri May 01 2020 02:08 -
Tom
Sorry mate - I stuffed up! My text is disappearing.
Cheers, Andy
Thanks for the advice Andy
Regards
Tom
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

bass & weed.JPG
Matt

Attempt at attaching photo - Australian bass on surface lure with some of weed bed where it tried to hide...

Cheers, Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Old Mate wrote: Mon May 04 2020 11:45 -
bass & weed.JPGMatt

Attempt at attaching photo - Australian bass on surface lure with some of weed bed where it tried to hide...

Cheers, Andy
Nice! Does look very perch like.Are they related to the US bass species or are they a totally different species altogether?
Are you able to fish at the moment now the lockdown has eased at bit over there?I've been furloughed since the 1st of April and it's frustrating being off work for all that time and not being able to wet a line! I am catching up on the gardening though.
Cheers,
Matt
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Native to SE Australian coastal rivers - the Wiki entry for Australian bass is pretty good. They were stocked into southern Qld and northern NSW dams in the 80's and have thrived. Unfortunately they head over the dam wall if the floods come around spawning time. The dams have opened but the wind has been strong, but later in the week...foraging for flour today despite our politicians saying the shops are back to normal.

Below is a saratoga which always remind me of "Jurassic" fish!

Cheers, Andy
big sara.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Old Mate wrote: Tue May 05 2020 10:56 -
Native to SE Australian coastal rivers - the Wiki entry for Australian bass is pretty good. They were stocked into southern Qld and northern NSW dams in the 80's and have thrived. Unfortunately they head over the dam wall if the floods come around spawning time. The dams have opened but the wind has been strong, but later in the week...foraging for flour today despite our politicians saying the shops are back to normal.

Below is a saratoga which always remind me of "Jurassic" fish!

Cheers, Andy

big sara.JPG
Sounds like you can now wet a line at least ,hopefully we won't be too far behind.I can see what you mean about the Saratoga being Jurassic,they are unusual looking fish.They look like they would fight hard!
Cheers,
Matt
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Saratoga are great fighters and jumpers, also very good at throwing hooks! Below is a 5 3/4 lb golden perch or yellow belly. Usually low speed/high torque fighters with heavy head shakes. This one fought like a barra!
big golden.JPG
Also an attachment for Tom...terrible photo but illustrates how solid the long fin eels can be. This one was 65cm long, imagine that build at 4 feet long? Would have to be a mid double...

Good luck with the lockdown - what would you fish for in May anyway?

Cheers, Andy
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

That golden perch is a chunky looking thing!
I'd be float fishing a syndicate pit with a split cane Avon and centrepin for tench and crucians with a few decent roach and Rudd thrown in if I could go now! Also plan on doing a few nights for big eels as well. I don't tend to fish loads in the spring and summer, mainly evenings but fish one day a weekend from October to early March for pike
At least with all my gardening efforts at the moment my brownie point total should be quite high in readiness!
Cheers,
Matt
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

That golden perch looks like it would be fun .
And a 4 foot eel would be a dream .
If I wasn’t on lockdown and the weather being good as it is ,I’d be trying for a catfish ( we all live in hope )
Regards
Tom
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Mattjb wrote: Wed May 06 2020 17:54 -
That golden perch is a chunky looking thing!
I'd be float fishing a syndicate pit with a split cane Avon and centrepin for tench and crucians with a few decent roach and Rudd thrown in if I could go now! Also plan on doing a few nights for big eels as well. I don't tend to fish loads in the spring and summer, mainly evenings but fish one day a weekend from October to early March for pike
At least with all my gardening efforts at the moment my brownie point total should be quite high in readiness!
Cheers,
Matt
Matt
Good luck with the tench etc when you get out! I trust the floats are homemade bird quills...
My first session was quiet - I was so keen I was surface fishing an hour before dawn. The moon was full and the pelicans had been busy in the shallows all night. No fish until 730, ended up with 3 bass to 35cm long. Lots of bait on the sounder but bass only active in one area. Out again this week as like you brownie points are high, or more likely she is glad for some peace and quiet for a few hours.
Cheers, Andy
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Happy Hayes wrote: Thu May 07 2020 16:59 -
That golden perch looks like it would be fun .
And a 4 foot eel would be a dream .
If I wasn’t on lockdown and the weather being good as it is ,I’d be trying for a catfish ( we all live in hope )
Regards
Tom
Tom
My much anticipated first trip was a few days after opening and pretty quiet (see earlier post). The eels will be slowing down as the water is cooling so my bait experiment will have to wait. Good luck with the wels as the weather warms with you. We get eel-tailed and fork tailed catfish here, both much smaller than wels catfish. I am out again this week - happy days!
Cheers, Andy