Anyone get out and put a bend in their rod today?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Anyone get out and put a bend in their rod today?

Post by John Milford »

I'm out for another go tomorrow afternoon.

After seeing how loose fed chopped up sandeels brought the fish on last time, I'll be finely dicing a few leftover sardines and adding them to some groundbait to see how that works. (No pike in the fishery, in case anyone is wondering).

It will be interesting to see how the fish react, compared to the pellets used by most of the other anglers on the water.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I reckon small sections of sandeel will sort out decent carp and chub!
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

John Milford wrote: Tue May 19 2020 21:11 -

After seeing how loose fed chopped up sandeels brought the fish on last time, I'll be finely dicing a few leftover sardines and adding them to some groundbait to see how that works. (No pike in the fishery, in case anyone is wondering).

It will be interesting to see how the fish react, compared to the pellets used by most of the other anglers on the water.
Let us know John, I know Delboy adds sardines quite often to his groundbait.
Ray Waker
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Out yesterday for my first full days fishing, I did have a couple of hours Friday morning on my way home from work. Great fun fishing a 6'6 2wt glass fly rod on a small stream for beautiful wild trout
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

John Milford wrote: Tue May 19 2020 21:11 -

Back when I used to bait fish for pike and had a bait boat I used mashed sardines mixed with brown crumb juts to try get some attraction into the area, had carp head and tailing over the area and that was in a low stocked water
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

How did you get on John??
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Stewlaws wrote: Wed May 20 2020 08:58 -
No interest from the carp yet Stew - I'm not going until this afternoon! :laughs: :clown:

Just deciding which rods to take. I have an ancient Aiken 'Superflex' S28, with a slightly wonky ferrule. I might use that (and set up next to whoever has the shiniest new gear). :pipe:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

John Milford wrote: Wed May 20 2020 09:49 -
Stewlaws wrote: Wed May 20 2020 08:58 -
No interest from the carp yet Stew - I'm not going until this afternoon! :laughs: :clown:

Just deciding which rods to take. I have an ancient Aiken 'Superflex' S28, with a slightly wonky ferrule. I might use that (and set up next to whoever has the shiniest new gear). :pipe:
Helpful if I read the post for content...you did say "afternoon" ..😕

I'm off to dump 3 kilos of particles in later to fish over tomorrow on a private estate lake, I wonder if James Dyson is there wetting a line ...😁
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I've just diced up my half frozen sardines. The whiff keeps making me think about pike fishing!

I was surprised how small the bag of bits looks, compared to when they were four whole sardines. I expect a little will go a long way, once it's mixed into the groundbait.

I expect the oil slick will be visible from space! :laughs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Phew what a scorcher!

Five finicky carp this afternoon. The sardine laced groundbait certainly brought them into the swim, but I've never seen them so spooky. I was getting liners and fish speeding off leaving huge bow waves as soon as they felt it!

The old 9' Aiken S28 was a fair bit beefier than I expected. The carp put a bend in it, but i think it will make a better roving pike rod.
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

I had a few hours this afternoon lads to christen my new floats and I wasn’t disappointed 👍🎣💚
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

:thumbs: :cool:
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Very nice Ant, like your homemade floats.

Went out for an afternoon session myself yesterday but blanked, the carp and roach have been spawning. Going to try again this afternoon but not exactly confident but will be good to be out on the bank.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

John Milford wrote: Wed May 20 2020 22:48 -
Phew what a scorcher!

Five finicky carp this afternoon. The sardine laced groundbait certainly brought them into the swim, but I've never seen them so spooky. I was getting liners and fish speeding off leaving huge bow waves as soon as they felt it!

The old 9' Aiken S28 was a fair bit beefier than I expected. The carp put a bend in it, but i think it will make a better roving pike rod.
Well done on the carp! Nerdy rod fact: Jim Gibbinson used the Aiken Superflex S/30 in the day for carp. 10' (~3m) stated 2 1/4 lb test curve. Could the S28 be similar?

Cheers, Andy
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun May 17 2020 09:32 -
Try insulation tape instead of backing line before spooling up. It might cushion the spool!
Hi Bob
Sorry, late reply and out of synch...
Good thought on the insulation tape. I used wool in the old days with the Mitchel 300. The plan for the Cardinal is low stretch cotton twine beneath braid...
Cheers, Andy
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

John Milford wrote: Sun May 17 2020 10:29 -
Old Mate wrote: Sun May 17 2020 09:00 -
John Milford wrote: Sat May 16 2020 22:23 -
Old Mate wrote: Sat May 16 2020 12:55 -
John Milford wrote: Thu May 14 2020 22:04 -
(Nice bass Andy, I'd rather have been fishing for those! :thumbs: ).

But I got out today on my local carp lake. A place I always fish with vintage tackle.

The place was packed and for the first hour everyone seemed to be catching but me! To rub it in, a teenage lad near me was bagging up on the long pole. He must have had about £5k worth of kit, but he certainly knew how to use it.

I'd still not caught by the time the Young Pretender dropped in next to me, an hour later!

This is a place where a solitary bait will usually catch, but seeing how much bait people were piling in, I decided to follow suit. It took a while to get them going, but I finished with ten carp. (The Young Pretender had just one! :pipe: ).

The chopped up sandeels worked to bring the fish on, but interestingly only as feed - not as a hook bait. :shrug: All the fish came at close range, on the (homemade) float.

20200514_175339.jpg
John
Love the carp and the vintage gear! I bought a Cardinal 57 recently because I couldn't afford them when they were released - great reel. What is the rod and where can I buy those reel fittings?
Cheers, Andrew
I was very intrigued by those reel fittings too Andrew. In fact so much that I posted a thread a while ago to see if anyone knew about them.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=40009&hilit=Auger

Thursday was the first opportunity I had to use the rod since acquiring it. The reel fittings work well, but the rod was really a bit too light in the tip for carp, although it handled them well enough. I think it will be a better roach rod!

It was the first time I'd used the old Cardinal 54 too. Big thanks to Pit member Alan Unthank who very kindly sent me a couple of spools for it after the original spool exploded! :thumbs:
Hi John
Thanks for the link. I put Fuji camlock reel fittings on an old Davenport and Fordham Gerry Savage carp rod and they work OK but no longer available.
I hope my 57 spool doesn't explode! I want to use it and made some carbontex washers - perhaps braid is the go rather than stretchy mono?
Cheers, Andy
There's a guy on eBay who makes and sells custom aluminium spools for Cardinal reels Andy. I bought a couple for my 57s and they are perfect. He only seems to make them in small batches and there are none listed presently but they appear quite regularly.

They're not hugely expensive - £28 each, plus postage, but they seem pretty bombproof.
John
Thanks, I have seen those aluminium spools - unfortunately postage is the killer! I will use the reel with braid and see how it goes...
Cheers, Andy
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Old Mate wrote: Thu May 21 2020 11:28 -
Phew what a scorcher!

Well done on the carp! Nerdy rod fact: Jim Gibbinson used the Aiken Superflex S/30 in the day for carp. 10' (~3m) stated 2 1/4 lb test curve. Could the S28 be similar?

Cheers, Andy
That's interesting Andy. It suggests to me that the '28' and '30' designations are indeed the metric lengths of the rods, seeing as my S28 is 9' and the S30 is 10'. Curiously 'modern' for rods with pink Sintox lined rings and reinforced brass ferrules!

I'd say the t.c. of mine is at least 2 1/4 lb, perhaps more, although shorter rods somehow feel more powerful than longer ones.
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

John Milford wrote: Thu May 21 2020 11:47 -
Old Mate wrote: Thu May 21 2020 11:28 -
Phew what a scorcher!

Cheers, Andy
That's interesting Andy. It suggests to me that the '28' and '30' designations are indeed the metric lengths of the rods, seeing as my S28 is 9' and the S30 is 10'. Curiously 'modern' for rods with pink Sintox lined rings and reinforced brass ferrules!

I'd say the t.c. of mine is at least 2 1/4 lb, perhaps more, although shorter rods somehow feel more powerful than longer ones.
John
Quite common to understate test curve in my experience. Perhaps Jim never measured them, so 2 1/4 may be an underestimate. Agreed short rods seem and are more powerful.
Cheer, Andy
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

But I got out today on my local carp lake. A place I always fish with vintage tackle.

The place was packed and for the first hour everyone seemed to be catching but me! To rub it in, a teenage lad near me was bagging up on the long pole. He must have had about £5k worth of kit, but he certainly knew how to use it.

I'd still not caught by the time the Young Pretender dropped in next to me, an hour later!

This is a place where a solitary bait will usually catch, but seeing how much bait people were piling in, I decided to follow suit. It took a while to get them going, but I finished with ten carp. (The Young Pretender had just one! :pipe: ).

The chopped up sandeels worked to bring the fish on, but interestingly only as feed - not as a hook bait. :shrug: All the fish came at close range, on the (homemade) float.

20200514_175339.jpg
John
Love the carp and the vintage gear! I bought a Cardinal 57 recently because I couldn't afford them when they were released - great reel. What is the rod and where can I buy those reel fittings?
Cheers, Andrew
I was very intrigued by those reel fittings too Andrew. In fact so much that I posted a thread a while ago to see if anyone knew about them.

Thursday was the first opportunity I had to use the rod since acquiring it. The reel fittings work well, but the rod was really a bit too light in the tip for carp, although it handled them well enough. I think it will be a better roach rod!

It was the first time I'd used the old Cardinal 54 too. Big thanks to Pit member Alan Unthank who very kindly sent me a couple of spools for it after the original spool exploded! :thumbs:
There's a couple of mint 54's for sale on the BFW forum with 4 spare spools!
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat May 23 2020 10:28 -

20200514_175339.jpg
John
Cheers, Andrew

I wonder if they're the same two that are on eBay presently Bob? I've got a pair of 54s now for my 'recreational' coarse fishing, so I'm sorted for those. :thumbs:

I'm finding the Cardinals nicer to use than the various clonky old early Mitchells I used last season (fun though that was). I've consolidated my Mitchells down to a matched pair of 410As and one 300A. Late models, but their roller bearings make them noticeably smoother than the earier ones which I've now sold on.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

John Milford wrote: Sat May 23 2020 12:14 -

20200514_175339.jpg
John
Cheers, Andrew

I wonder if they're the same two that are on eBay presently Bob? I've got a pair of 54s now for my 'recreational' coarse fishing, so I'm sorted for those. :thumbs:

I'm finding the Cardinals nicer to use than the various clonky old early Mitchells I used last season (fun though that was). I've consolidated my Mitchells down to a matched pair of 410As and one 300A. Late models, but their roller bearings make them noticeably smoother than the earier ones which I've now sold on.
Not sure John, just had a quick search on ebay and couldn't find a pair. The same chap on BFW also has a mint pair of 140's for sale.

I'm all for nostalgia and old tackle, as long as it's the bloke in the next swim using it :laughs:

Some years ago I bought a pair of Mitchell match's for nostalgic reasons, kept them for a very short while and part ex'd them for a new feeder rod. I couldn't use them in favour of my new, at the time, Daiwas and Shimmys.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat May 23 2020 12:23 -

20200514_175339.jpg
John
Cheers, Andrew

Not sure John, just had a quick search on ebay and couldn't find a pair. The same chap on BFW also has a mint pair of 140's for sale.

I'm all for nostalgia and old tackle, as long as it's the bloke in the next swim using it :laughs:

Some years ago I bought a pair of Mitchell match's for nostalgic reasons, kept them for a very short while and part ex'd them for a new feeder rod. I couldn't use them in favour of my new, at the time, Daiwas and Shimmys.
I sold my Mitchell Match too Bob. The finger trip bail was fine for the speed fishing for 'bits' it was intended for, but a bit of a liability with a decent fish on.

Using old gear is very much a fanciful indulgence. If I think about it, I use it as it amuses me to create the illusion (delusion?) that I'm not really 'trying' :laughs: (but there is nothing I use that could't cope with an unexpectedly good fish on the few waters where I choose to use it. :wink: ).
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

John Milford wrote: Sat May 23 2020 12:56 -
Bob Watson wrote: Sat May 23 2020 12:23 -

20200514_175339.jpg
John
Cheers, Andrew

I sold my Mitchell Match too Bob. The finger trip bail was fine for the speed fishing for 'bits' it was intended for, but a bit of a liability with a decent fish on.

Using old gear is very much a fanciful indulgence. If I think about it, I use it as it amuses me to create the illusion (delusion?) that I'm not really 'trying' :laughs: (but there is nothing I use that could't cope with an unexpectedly good fish on the few waters where I choose to use it. :wink: ).
Old tackle was catching big fish for years before it was old :wink:

I don't doubt the ability, I just prefer new :thumbs:
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Had a go with the chod rig today for the first time. Not a monster but saved a blank!
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Well done young man 👍😊✋
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Had this nice crucian this afternoon.Always nice to catch one.Tucked up in the bivvy with eel rods out now.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Mattjb wrote: Sun May 24 2020 22:23 -
Had this nice crucian this afternoon.Always nice to catch one.Tucked up in the bivvy with eel rods out now.
Cracking :thumbs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

+1 :cool:
Old Mate
Roach
Roach

Post by Old Mate »

Noice! Classic catch on vintage tackle - good luck with the eels.
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

That’s a cracking pic Matt matey
Did you have any luck with the eels ?