Lures for getting in the weed ?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Lures for getting in the weed ?

Post by Chris Hammond »

Take a look at the 'punch' crayfish type lures. Named punch as they are designed to punch through the weed I think. Those in larger sizes rigged Texas style are pretty good in weeded water.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Tue Jun 23 2020 05:10 -
Take a look at the 'punch' crayfish type lures. Named punch as they are designed to punch through the weed I think. Those in larger sizes rigged Texas style are pretty good in weeded water.
I will have a look :thumbs:

Cheers

Andy.
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

Pig shad junior with an owner beast hook. Used this last year to fish into the weeds
Marvin Farrell
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

keeponchucking wrote: ↑Tue Jun 23 2020 11:42 -
Pig shad junior with an owner beast hook. Used this last year to fish into the weeds

Is that an EWG hook? I have tried large shads on this kind of arrangement over weed but have found hook up rate poor. This could possibly be down to small pike not being able to take the lure down far enough though.
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

Iain Gillies wrote: ↑Wed Jun 24 2020 07:06 -
keeponchucking wrote: ↑Tue Jun 23 2020 11:42 -

Is that an EWG hook? I have tried large shads on this kind of arrangement over weed but have found hook up rate poor. This could possibly be down to small pike not being able to take the lure down far enough though.
Yep they are. I also had issues with hook up rates.
Found that downsizign my bait increased it, not sure if it was due to more hook expesoure when the fish takes. I would take loosing a couple of fish over taking weeds from a lure all day. Was driving me mad.
Marvin Farrell
darrenraider
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by darrenraider »

Any solf plastic fished on a Texas rig should do the trick for you πŸ‘
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Post by Ratty46 »

Bigkev wrote: ↑Mon Jun 22 2020 23:57 -
Heddon mossboss is very for weedy venues , caught pike , chub and perch on mine , ordered one today in white scale there are 2versions. 10 grams and 7 grams caught on both
they are the nuts, i remember using one for the first time, i couldnt believe how many hits it had!
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Another option would be a weedless jig, i.e. a stand up jig head with a brush hook guard. I've used them a lot to fish through weed on drains, most often with a small Sandra. Hook up rate is pretty good for a weedless set-up and about the only thing that stumps them is silkweed, but then there's no lure know to man that gets through that s**t. Just hop the jig in and out of weed pockets and always pause before you lift from the water - the times I have been slammed just as I start to draw the lure up at the edge. Had some very productive days using this method.
Piking Plonker
andypee
Chub
Chub

Post by andypee »

Mark Phillips wrote: ↑Fri Jul 31 2020 22:06 -
Another option would be a weedless jig, i.e. a stand up jig head with a brush hook guard. I've used them a lot to fish through weed on drains, most often with a small Sandra. Hook up rate is pretty good for a weedless set-up and about the only thing that stumps them is silkweed, but then there's no lure know to man that gets through that s**t. Just hop the jig in and out of weed pockets and always pause before you lift from the water - the times I have been slammed just as I start to draw the lure up at the edge. Had some very productive days using this method.
Will look into that :thumbs:

Andy.
Maninblack01
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Maninblack01 »

Stewlaws wrote: ↑Sun Jan 06 2019 19:18 -
Heddon moss boss.....caught well for me when I fished shaggy patches of Lillie's
Do you use weights with this lure as its a very slow sinker.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Maninblack01 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03 2020 10:04 -
Stewlaws wrote: ↑Sun Jan 06 2019 19:18 -
Heddon moss boss.....caught well for me when I fished shaggy patches of Lillie's
Do you use weights with this lure as its a very slow sinker.
Never, the beauty is any cast that overshoot the margin meant it was always retrievable..... As for adding weight it was never fished other than over pads and weed beds as a surface lure. Only thing I will say is the hook up ratio was not great .. running at around 6-7/10 in my favour, dramatic hits.