Live baits.

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
Jagermaster
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Live baits.

Post by Jagermaster »

Every time I cast a live bait out with a float. It always seems to come back towards the raft. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Live baits.

Post by suffolk si »

Try and keep it on a tight line, invariably they pull against resistance ๐Ÿ‘that said , Iโ€™ve had a lot of takes from a yard away from the boat๐Ÿ‘
Jagermaster
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jagermaster »

suffolk si wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 05 2020 14:51 -
Try and keep it on a tight line, invariably they pull against resistance ๐Ÿ‘that said , Iโ€™ve had a lot of takes from a yard away from the boat๐Ÿ‘
Makes sense. Nice one! :thumbs:
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

How about using a drifter float and using the wind to push it away from you? A dart flight glued into the top of a float may be enough to do the job
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Loads of options.
Dont cast it, just drop it off the back when your going along.
Greased/floating line on the suface allowed to ceate a big bow by the wind will usually provide a drag sufficient to overpower most normal sized baits. The method works the same as a drifer float its just quicker to set-up. Dont buy floatant, just try any natural grease you have eg; butter or lard.

As has been said baits will usually swim away from resistance, so by changing the hook placement you can usually get a bait to swim where you like., a skill you will need for when you graduate to jack baits.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Jagermaster
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jagermaster »

Jack baits Mike? Using a pike as bait?๐Ÿ˜ฎ
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

CD Rig ;-)
Jagermaster
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jagermaster »

Jason Skilton wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 06 2020 11:34 -
CD Rig ;-)
Hello mate. Thanks for the tip. Could you be a little more specific. I searched google and the best I can come up with is Colin Davidson rig. But no images .

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Jagermaster wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 06 2020 14:50 -
CD Rig ;-)
Hello mate. Thanks for the tip. Could you be a little more specific. I searched google and the best I can come up with is Colin Davidson rig. But no images .

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Colin Davidson rig! Anyway, it's bound to have a boilie on the end of it. What you're looking for is a rig designed by another Colin - Colin Dyson.

https://www.anglersmail.co.uk/fishing-t ... hing-27055
Jagermaster
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jagermaster »

Steve Dennington wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 06 2020 16:27 -
CD Rig ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Jamie
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Colin Davidson rig! Anyway, it's bound to have a boilie on the end of it. What you're looking for is a rig designed by another Colin - Colin Dyson.

Thank you! :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Jagermaster wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 06 2020 09:55 -
Jack baits Mike? Using a pike as bait?๐Ÿ˜ฎ

No, of course not :wink:

:exit:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Steve Dennington wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 06 2020 16:27 -
CD Rig ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

:thumbs:

Yup the Colin Dyson rig......
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Great rig for fishing livies for eel, perch, pike, and zander
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

CD rig casts like the proverbial...
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

davelumb wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 16 2020 10:28 -
CD rig casts like the proverbial...
:boing:

Yes they can be a tad trick to cast, but they are a great rig for livies and if you set them up correctly the lead and the bait land seperately.

No tangles and superb presentation.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

"lead and the bait land seperately."

And neither where you want them! :laughs:

I tried CD rigs when they were first written about and never found them any use whatsoever. For fishing over rocky ledges into deep water they are actually a liability - a standard sunk float rig can have the float set above the ledge to keep the line off it, a CD rig can't and the line goes through the rocks on the ledge.

Tie your paternoster link to the trace and you don't get tangles, get casting accuracy and distance. Plus it's dead simple and can be quickly swapped to other presentations. CD rig is a one trick pony.

I know the rig has its fans but I'm not one of them! :laughs:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

davelumb wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 27 2020 07:53 -

I tried CD rigs when they were first written about and never found them any use whatsoever. For fishing over rocky ledges into deep water they are actually a liability - a standard sunk float rig can have the float set above the ledge to keep the line off it, a CD rig can't and the line goes through the rocks on the ledge.

Tie your paternoster link to the trace and you don't get tangles, get casting accuracy and distance. Plus it's dead simple and can be quickly swapped to other presentations. CD rig is a one trick pony.

You then tighten down to the lead after the cast :wink:

Like any rig it has its limitations whether it is rocky bottom or silty bottom, but as a rig fan, I'll continue to use it.

I also do use the standard pat rig for other circumstances particularly on the rivers or when fishing the margins.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Jason Skilton wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 27 2020 10:05 -
davelumb wrote: โ†‘Mon Jul 27 2020 07:53 -

You then tighten down to the lead after the cast :wink:

Like any rig it has its limitations whether it is rocky bottom or silty bottom, but as a rig fan, I'll continue to use it.

I also do use the standard pat rig for other circumstances particularly on the rivers or when fishing the margins.
I know you tighten to the lead, but that's no good when the lead is in the wrong place!
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Sunken float helicopter rig for me as my Paternoster choice all day (and night) long. :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

For my momey free roving livebaits either get immediate attention from a pred or they end up sitting doggo in one spot, or as you say drifting back towards you. I wouldnt worry too much about that. If there's a pike anywhere near in feeding mode it will invairably hit the bait within a minute or two. If not I'd move along and try another spot, or leger it and wait.

A bit of bouyancy attached to a legered live-bait should keep it working as it tries to lay low.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!