Spinning/ lure reels

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Spinning/ lure reels

Post by Admau1 »

Which of these would you recommend ??? ( PIKE,CHUB,PERCH )
SHIMANO 4000D
SHIMANO 4000 GTM RC
SHIMANO STRADIC 4000 CI4
Thanks in advance :thumbs:
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Re: Spinning/ lure reels

Post by Flipflopjoe »

Never used the first 2 but I’ve got a stradic Ci4 for my bass fishing and it’s pretty damn good.
The only issue I’ve had with it was the line roller bearing got a bit crunchy but they cost peanuts to buy and are easy to change :thumbs:
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Nothing Shimano.
Their constant changing of their models happens far to often for anything to be reliable for long term use.
Eg; even in the Stella range their constant changes have never succeeded in improving on originals.

A 3500-4000 size Daiwa Saltiga if you want a lifetime spinner, otherwise an Exist or Certate.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
pikin
Perch
Perch

Post by pikin »

SHIMANO 4000 GTM RC

Had fish upto 27lb+ on them. Love mine.
I picked up some deeper spools and use them for a bit of deadbaiting at times.

They are currently on my 7ft spinning rods
Paul Ikin
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Stradic Ci4
Jock Gordon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jock Gordon »

Rarenium 2500
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mike J wrote: Sun Aug 02 2020 08:48 -
Nothing Shimano.
Their constant changing of their models happens far to often for anything to be reliable for long term use.
Eg; even in the Stella range their constant changes have never succeeded in improving on originals.

A 3500-4000 size Daiwa Saltiga if you want a lifetime spinner, otherwise an Exist or Certate.

What (facts) do you base that on? I've got several Shimano spinning reels and all (ALL) have given consistent reliability and longevity. I might be inclined to agree that Shimano reels of recent years have gone downhill somewhat, especially their big pits, but not their spinning reels and not because they frequently change models that's for sure... last one I bought was a Stradic CI4 FB and for the money is very impressive. Only the Aero Concept reels are shitters. Daiwa have upped their game, that's for sure and I also have a few of their spinning reels and all my main carp reels are now Daiwa (Castizm QD for most things and recently got the new Basias SCW for distance work)- but 'nothing Shimano' ? I don't think so somehow. They still produce some of the best spinning reels across a broad range of price ranges.
Piking Plonker
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Aug 13 2020 22:34 -
Mike J wrote: Sun Aug 02 2020 08:48 -
Nothing Shimano.

What (facts) do you base that on? I've got several Shimano spinning reels and all (ALL) have given consistent reliability and longevity. I might be inclined to agree that Shimano reels of recent years have gone downhill somewhat, especially their big pits, but not their spinning reels and not because they frequently change models that's for sure... last one I bought was a Stradic CI4 FB and for the money is very impressive. Only the Aero Concept reels are shitters. Daiwa have upped their game, that's for sure and I also have a few of their spinning reels and all my main carp reels are now Daiwa (Castizm QD for most things and recently got the new Basias SCW for distance work)- but 'nothing Shimano' ? I don't think so somehow. They still produce some of the best spinning reels across a broad range of price ranges.

It is an opinion based on my experience of spinning with fixed spool reels from the mid '60's with a gold Ambidex, yours is also an opinion based on your experience. Together we know what a spinning reel should be like, what reliability means in practice and more importantly what causes problems.

For hard facts I would offer the Emblem, a fixed spool reel which has global acclaim and which has remained basically unchanged for over 30years, no other reel of modern times comes close the reputation held by the Emblem.

One outstanding success from Shimao was undoubtably the Tiagra, a reel that totally eclipsed the Penn International and is still the reel of choice for offshore charters and anglers alike and a reel (50W) I am proud to say I own.

:handshake:
Last edited by Mike J on Tue Aug 18 2020 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Jock Gordon wrote: Wed Aug 05 2020 13:03 -
Rarenium 2500
:thumbs: I use 2500 for Perch and Chub, 4000 for Pike.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I'm seriously impressed with the Raptor from Snowbee.

They came recommended by the local shore boys for Bass , Pollock etc

The drag is silky smooth and progressive from the start, no sudden start/stops.

I got the 2000 size which handled hard fighting pollock with ease.

https://www.snowbee.co.uk/sea-fishing-c ... ool-reels/
Ian Crook
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Ian Crook »

Steve Moore wrote: Fri Aug 14 2020 11:00 -
Jock Gordon wrote: Wed Aug 05 2020 13:03 -
Rarenium 2500
:thumbs: I use 2500 for Perch and Chub, 4000 for Pike.
Me too, and 1000 for smaller stuff, I’ve got around 7 Stradic Ci4 across all the different models, superb reels, never had an issue and they are super light to hold all day without effort!