Rabbit

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Rabbit

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Rather than the usual stew or pie, any exiting recipes out there ? I’ve tried doing a Tandori rabbit, just left it in yogurt and tandori paste with a few other spices, tasted good but very very dry
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Rabbit

Post by Mike J »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Fri May 08 2020 09:31 -
Rather than the usual stew or pie, any exiting recipes out there ? I’ve tried doing a Tandori rabbit, just left it in yogurt and tandori paste with a few other spices, tasted good but very very dry

No fat on a bunnie hence the dry texture.

The French have some good recipes, nearly all have the joints submerged in a broth with a dash of wine added, Ive eaten a few and they were good but none were spectacular.

Try it in a Tagine, onion, garlic, tomatoes, chickpeas, ground coriander, ground ginger, sweet paprika and stock, simmer for 40, add potatoes and simmer for 15, add lemon 1/2 preserved or fresh (but no pips). Harisa paste as a side and Cuscus for those who want it.
I will post the quantities if your interested,

I make it with chicken legs (Wednesday) to the leftover pot I add pork or more chicken for another meal or blend everything up into a soup and add grated cheese and toasted croutons on the table.

Yum yum.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Mike J wrote: Fri May 08 2020 10:09 -
Brian Springthorpe wrote: Fri May 08 2020 09:31 -

No fat on a bunnie hence the dry texture.

The French have some good recipes, nearly all have the joints submerged in a broth with a dash of wine added, Ive eaten a few and they were good but none were spectacular.

Try it in a Tagine, onion, garlic, tomatoes, chickpeas, ground coriander, ground ginger, sweet paprika and stock, simmer for 40, add potatoes and simmer for 15, add lemon 1/2 preserved or fresh (but no pips). Harisa paste as a side and Cuscus for those who want it.
I will post the quantities if your interested,

I make it with chicken legs (Wednesday) to the leftover pot I add pork or more chicken for another meal or blend everything up into a soup and add grated cheese and toasted croutons on the table.

Yum yum.
Will give that a try for sure Mike.
Never found a recipe yet that could make Rabbit into a decent meal!
Andy Sewell
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Here you go.
Just remember no milky does or old bucks.

Chicken/Rabbit Tagine - use a big stock pot for this!

Olive oil
Onion x 2 sliced thin
Garlic x 4-6 chopped fine/crushed/chopped
Turmeric x 1tsp
Cumin x 1tsp ground
Coriander x 2tsp ground
Ginger x 1tsp ground
Chicken/Rabbit thighs and legs x 2 (our put everything in to add even more flavour to the stock)
Paprika sweet x 1tsp
Chicken stock x 2 cubes
Chickpeas x 1can drained
Potatoes cut into pieces amount as required (I prefer the baby tatties)
Tomatoes x tin chopped or 4 -6 fresh/frozen
Lemon 1/2 preserved, or fresh sliced in half (no pips, they make it sour)
Salt to taste

In the oil gently onion & garlic soften, add cumin, coriander, turmeric and ginger, stir and fry gently,
then add the meat, stir well and brown,
then add paprika and stock, boil and then simmer.
Next add chickpeas, potatoes and tomatoes, bring to boil then simmer.
When meat if done add the lemon and cook over gentle heat for 10min. then remove the lemon.
Salt to taste and serve in deep bowls, meat first, then veg and stock when bones have been removed.
Cuscus can be added to the stock if preferred.
Harisa paste lift the dish of you like a kick.

Yummy!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Going to try that Mike thanks
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Fri May 08 2020 21:00 -
Going to try that Mike thanks

Please let me know what you think.

FYI I didnt have to write it, just copy it from a recipe book Ive been compiling over the years.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Cant stomach the dish myself but rabbit is a key component of a traditional paella which is a simple dish to make.

Even chicken can be dry if you use the breast unless you slow cook it, or better still IMHO is to cook it it one day, put it to one side and re-heat it the following day.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

A mate of mine shoots, and brings me rabbits and pigeons. I tried rabbit curry, but still found it dry and flavourless (the total opposite of the pigeons).

Now, I just skin and gut them and chuck them in the oven for the dog, who absolutely loves them. Mind you, it's practically the only cooked meat she has, so it's probably just something a little different. I certainly wouldn't feed raw wild rabbit to her, because my vet tells me that her worming treatment covers pretty much every parasite that she's likely to encounter, except a certain type of roundworm that dogs only get from eating wild rabbits.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

My Granny used to do rabbit regularly in many guises, her tip for a pie was to use twice as much chicken as you do rabbit and it'll be lovely :grin:

Rabbit's good in a stew, browned off first then slow cooked on a low simmer until the meat starts falling off the bone.
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Mike J wrote: Fri May 08 2020 17:14 -
Here you go.

Olive oil
Onion x 2 sliced thin
Turmeric x 1tsp
Cumin x 1tsp ground
Coriander x 2tsp ground
Ginger x 1tsp ground
Chicken/Rabbit thighs and legs x 2 (our put everything in to add even more flavour to the stock)
Paprika sweet x 1tsp
Chicken stock x 2 cubes
Chickpeas x 1can drained
Salt to taste

In the oil gently onion & garlic soften, add cumin, coriander, turmeric and ginger, stir and fry gently,
When meat if done add the lemon and cook over gentle heat for 10min. then remove the lemon.
Salt to taste and serve in deep bowls, meat first, then veg and stock when bones have been removed.

Yummy!

Mike

Been bagging a few just lately so decided to finally try this dish, I like a bit of spice so used the Harisa paste.
It was lovely, even the wife and daughter tucked in and they will hardly ever eat Rabbit if they know what it is.
Will definitely be doing it again,
Thanks
Brian
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

I frequently make a rabbit casserole for the family. A couple of rabbits simmered slowly in a good cider based broth, remove from broth when the meat is falling off the bone, set aside the rabbits and add whatever veg takes your fancy along with a good amount of the fattest smoked streaky bacon you can find, proper bacon, not that stuff that’s full of water and scummy gunk, and allow to cook through. While the veg and bacon mix is cooking, take the meat off the rabbit. When the bacon/veg mix is cooked through, bung the rabbit meat back in and just heat it all through. If you need more liquid at any time just add more cider!

Depending how many people I’m feeding, I occasionally bung in a few balls of cobbler mix. I think it’s the same as a scone mix but with the addition of herbs, which gives the whole thing a pleasing pie like topping!
Bob
Derek Ainscough
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Derek Ainscough »

Here you go.

Olive oil
Onion x 2 sliced thin
Turmeric x 1tsp
Cumin x 1tsp ground
Coriander x 2tsp ground
Ginger x 1tsp ground
Paprika sweet x 1tsp
Chicken stock x 2 cubes
Chickpeas x 1can drained
Salt to taste

Yummy!

Sounds good Mike. I usually get a rabbit or 2 come Sept/Oct so I’ll give this a go.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Tue May 19 2020 05:35 -
Cant stomach the dish myself but rabbit is a key component of a traditional paella which is a simple dish to make.

Even chicken can be dry if you use the breast unless you slow cook it, or better still IMHO is to cook it it one day, put it to one side and re-heat it the following day.

Actually Chris the true paella is a dish made entirely of vegetables and rice, it was a meal made by field workers who would use whatever they had available.
Rabbits are classified as game in Spain and only shot by the wealthy and to even have one in your possession (say a road casualty) carries a fine.

If you want your chicken to be soft and tender the trick is to cover with water and slow cook the whole chicken in a big pot, then removed the meat from the bones and retain for whatever dishes you prefer.
This is what the Chinese have done for centuries and still do today, it also explains why the chicken they serve in their dishes is always slight paler than fresh chicken. They also use the stock (referred to in Chinese as 'mother') as a base for almost everything, even adding a dash to fried rice and why, without it, their dishes are so difficult to copy at home.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Thu Aug 20 2020 09:34 -
Here you go.

Olive oil
Onion x 2 sliced thin
Turmeric x 1tsp
Cumin x 1tsp ground
Coriander x 2tsp ground
Ginger x 1tsp ground
Paprika sweet x 1tsp
Chicken stock x 2 cubes
Chickpeas x 1can drained
Salt to taste

Yummy!

Mike

Been bagging a few just lately so decided to finally try this dish, I like a bit of spice so used the Harisa paste.
It was lovely, even the wife and daughter tucked in and they will hardly ever eat Rabbit if they know what it is.
Will definitely be doing it again,
Thanks
Brian

Excellent :grin:
Glad you all enjoyed it.
Receiving thanks is the nice thing about sharing info and thanks cost nothing :handshake:
I have loads of chillies ripening so Im going to try to make some Harrisa paste, fingers crossed it turns out well.

Try a couple of fryers (baby bunnies) with a few slices of bacon, my Dad's favourite and why he would always take a rifle if he came with me to check the stock before breakfast (no gnawing it just falls off)! :thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Fri Aug 21 2020 09:57 -

Actually Chris the true paella is a dish made entirely of vegetables and rice, it was a meal made by field workers who would use whatever they had available.
Rabbits are classified as game in Spain and only shot by the wealthy and to even have one in your possession (say a road casualty) carries a fine.

If you want your chicken to be soft and tender the trick is to cover with water and slow cook the whole chicken in a big pot, then removed the meat from the bones and retain for whatever dishes you prefer.
This is what the Chinese have done for centuries and still do today, it also explains why the chicken they serve in their dishes is always slight paler than fresh chicken. They also use the stock (referred to in Chinese as 'mother') as a base for almost everything, even adding a dash to fried rice and why, without it, their dishes are so difficult to copy at home.
Actually Mike you're the one who is mistaken. Rabbit is absolutely an essential ingredient of what is considered the original dish by most foodies.

Any list of ingredients other than the one containing rabbit, I.e just vegetables is unsubstantiated speculation by some food historians. 👍
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Aug 21 2020 10:15 -
Mike J wrote: Fri Aug 21 2020 09:57 -

Actually Mike you're the one who is mistaken. Rabbit is absolutely an essential ingredient of what is considered the original dish by most foodies.

Any list of ingredients other than the one containing rabbit, I.e just vegetables is unsubstantiated speculation by some food historians. 👍

No Im not mistaken.
Foodies are not Spanish, and I dont read their books, blogs or whatever.

But I have travelled through rural Spain since the early '80's and seen and I eaten the true paella for myself and it never contained rabbit. Yes it was sometimes possible to have chicken included on request, but never rabbit.
As for wild rabbits in Spain the only two Ive ever seen were in the mid Pyrenees.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

:All very interesting Mike but you're still mistaken. Rabbit is a key component of the Spanish dish, paella and always has been. :wink:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Aug 21 2020 13:23 -
:All very interesting Mike but you're still mistaken. Rabbit is a key component of the Spanish dish, paella and always has been. :wink:

I bow to your experience :worthy:

Of reading books and foodie blogs, written by those who think they know.

:roll:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Sun Aug 23 2020 11:30 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Fri Aug 21 2020 13:23 -

I bow to your experience :worthy:

Of reading books and foodie blogs, written by those who think they know.

:roll:
Well done Mike, it takes a big man to adnit when he's wrong. :thumbs:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Just cook in a condensed tomatoes soup......needs to be condensed else it just boils to nothing. Splash of L&P . It's a game changer.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

I will just leave this here.....
Isn't the name Spain actually derived from " Land of Rabbits".....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tigger996
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by tigger996 »

Soak overnight in water with a splash of malt vinegar, it takes away the wild taste.
Ovi
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Ovi »

I grew up on a small family farm and we used to grow rabbits. We used to cook them after they were kept in brine made of onions, garlic, spices and white wine for at least 24 hours. This goes for the game rabbit also. They were baked in the oven for 2-3 hours or cooked as a stew with tomato sauce and garlic. The secret ingredient was pork fat. Lots of it.
There’s a fine line between fishing and standing by the river like an idiot!
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Rabbit burgers, rabbit meat, little bit of pork belly and chorizo all in to the mincer. Makes a savage burger. Be warned, your cardiologist might not be too impressed.

Oh yeah, be sure to leave the worms out of the mix :no:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

my mate once shot an owl by mistake , so i decided to cook it to see what it tasted like ,was not that keen on it as it kept me up all night ......
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Rabbit stew and stew and stew and repeat.

Stew it on the bone until it falls off the bone.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

We had rabbit a lot when we were kids,always a day after Snowy/Benjy went missing :laughs:
Me and kid brother were always out rabbiting in our teens
rabbit is lovely meat to eat---stinks when you cook it ----and made into a game pie witha bit of pheasant, chicken (guinea fowl or other poultry) bacon is gorgeous