BBQ/Smoking while having free time

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

BBQ/Smoking while having free time

Post by steve a pac »

BBQ/Smoking, while i’m working iv’e got most weekends off and enjoying more time for the as above.
Brisket- 7 hrs
Pork spare ribs -5 hrs
Pork belly burnt ends -5 hrs A must please try these on Malcolm Reed utube page.
55F4AAEF-C82B-41A2-98BB-94FAC3F9201D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Re: BBQ/Smoking while having free time

Post by steve a pac »

C9DB87A7-624E-4EAD-BE6D-9261DF37E790.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

32A8472A-E7D3-4303-9D11-94F1ADC0065F.jpeg
4647EC7A-95F0-4861-96EA-CB69DEEC0770.jpeg
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

That brisket looks bloody good, Karl’s takes some beating though especially with stews secret recipe sauce from the social, I want to see one of delboys legendary barb-b-q sessions ( as long as I can’t hear tears for fears in the background!)
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

:laughs: :laughs: love me texas style bbq/smoking the only way to bbq not just putting burgers on a bbq.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Steve that meat looks excellent :thumbs:
My Friends live in Oklahoma and have a lake house near Tulsa,
Every time we go they take me straight to the BBQ restaurant mixed platter with a side of beans :pipe:

Between you and Karl we could have an excellent east pit solcial. :clap:
promise to keep 2m away :laughs:
Andy Carpenter
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

steve a pac wrote: Wed Apr 22 2020 20:16 -
BBQ/Smoking, while i’m working iv’e got most weekends off and enjoying more time for the as above.
Brisket- 7 hrs
Pork spare ribs -5 hrs
Pork belly burnt ends -5 hrs A must please try these on Malcolm Reed utube page. 55F4AAEF-C82B-41A2-98BB-94FAC3F9201D.jpeg
That’s a helluva smoke ring you got on that brisket Steve 👍🏻

Looks bloody superb😊

Got the Keg fired up this afternoon for some skirt fajitas 😉
I’ve only been doing chicken (rotisserie, beer can, smoked boneless thighs) and home made burgers so far this lockdown.

I might do a pork butt this week though 😉
Scott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Scott »

Tried the bbq/smoke snake method the other week cooking brisket. The bark was lush but meat was a bit dry. It was my 1st go so will learn. Going to try again on Saturday .
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Go for it, did you wrap the brisket half way through and continued till hitting internal temp.
If the brisket isn’t big enough or thick enough it can dry out easily, wrapping it can help with this.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Done some pork belly bone in 2 weeks ago 3 hrs on smoker using post oak then wrapped for 3hrs total 6 hrs cook.
F3E2D984-A8C6-4963-96BA-DC998E476292.jpeg
9E8F4C0F-BE1A-4936-A213-42E879E71111.jpeg
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Scott wrote: Thu Jul 09 2020 13:03 -
Tried the bbq/smoke snake method the other week cooking brisket. The bark was lush but meat was a bit dry. It was my 1st go so will learn. Going to try again on Saturday .
Get yourself a decent meat injector and inject cold coffee. :wink:

I usually smoke for 4-5hrs (depending on size) then wrap in tin foil till about 10deg from final temp, then unwrap again till cooked.

Wrap again in tin foil and leave to rest for at least 2hrs in a cool box :wink:
You won’t get better brisket :cool:
Scott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Scott »

Didn’t inject the brisket, cooked to 165f wrap in grease proof then up to 200f rest 1hr in cool box. Think problem was meat was too close to coals.
Had another go yesterday , did whole chicken and was fantastic , also pork shoulder which was tasty but could have done touch longer as it didn’t pull away as easy, flavour was great. Put some ham on for rest of week sarnies and that’s came out well.

Might get an injector if brisket is dry next weeek.
Great to sit back and let it smoke while watching cricket on tv.
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

I find the snake method creates too much smoke because there’s always coals smouldering which then leads to dryness and a bitter taste
Scott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Scott »

Managed ok with snake method yesterday and food wasn’t dry, wasn’t bitter . Just doing snake method because don’t have smoker. Wife wasn’t keen washing smelling of smoke, even offered to buy a smoker but will hang out, guess got 2 years left in the bbq I’ve got now.
Scott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Scott »

One from weekend , brisket , whole chicken , chicken thighs and ham.

Gave brisket too long, think had probe in fat so temp reading was low, I’ll get there only second attempt. Plenty of flavour in the meat.
A6D550DD-AF1B-4050-9928-1E0C2039B349.jpeg
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

B2EBCDFB-A5B6-4F17-8132-4DB96DABB08F.jpeg
80843C56-CF2C-4BAE-8798-3071AB483727.jpeg
FC3472A8-B9B3-4DD7-B3DD-846A8092EC61.jpeg
Done some beef rib today 6 hrs smoked with Hickory, came out superb juicy with full beef flavour.
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Well I've been having a full garden makeover. Big job as it's 130 foot long., 148 sleeper, 65sq.m Indian sandstone, 220sq.m turf ... not quite finished but tonight I managed to use the wood-fired oven for the first time. Need more practice though - don't think I had a big enough fire so not hot enough. I ordered an infra red thermometer but not arrived yet. Looking forward to cooking some large lumps of meat in it & I've bought some cast iron pots for using in it.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

jonsykes wrote: Wed Aug 26 2020 22:00 -
Well I've been having a full garden makeover. Big job as it's 130 foot long., 148 sleeper, 65sq.m Indian sandstone, 220sq.m turf ... not quite finished but tonight I managed to use the wood-fired oven for the first time. Need more practice though - don't think I had a big enough fire so not hot enough. I ordered an infra red thermometer but not arrived yet. Looking forward to cooking some large lumps of meat in it & I've bought some cast iron pots for using in it.

Cant understand why yours has a chimney?
Ive used the basic hand made ovens you see throughout Southern Europe, that design is bigger and thicker than yours with no chimney and doesn't need a lot to get them hot enough to bake bread, just a 6" bundle of thumb sized twigs and bit of paper to start and soon as it gets going close the front with just enough air to breathe. Smoke adds to the the flavour.
Never smoked any meat in one just the normal, flatbread followed by halved/cockspatched chicken and strips of belly pork. My local baker would do a whole suckling pig if asked (after the bread) but his was bigger and heated with driftwood.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

The chimney can be closed, perhaps I should just read the user guide! Trouble is it's on a pdf file on a disc & I can't be arsed to put a computer on.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

jonsykes wrote: Thu Aug 27 2020 09:17 -
The chimney can be closed, perhaps I should just read the user guide! Trouble is it's on a pdf file on a disc & I can't be arsed to put a computer on.

Even if it can be closed your going to loose a lot of heat up it.
If you checkout the basic clay oven design non have chimneys, the fuel is just used to heat the clay (our in your case bricks) air is via the loosely fitted door and any smoke stays inside with the heat or seeps out via the door cracks.
In mine I just had a sheet of steel and a rock to keep it closed and it would bake bread and chicken and pork belly easily enough.
Made from terra cotta or red earth in English, you can dig it up almost anywhere, mix with water and hey ho away you go.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Wht would I want to make one when I can waste a load of money on one that looks nice but doesn"?'t work?
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Looks a nice set up mate 👍 can’t go wrong with a smoking hot pizza oven.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

steve a pac wrote: Fri Aug 28 2020 21:03 -

Trouble is its not smoking hot or even getting just hot enough.
Still I must admit it would look nice.......

to a poseur loadsamoney.

:grin:
Scott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Scott »

One from a few week ago , a dirty battenburg .
2 lots of sausage meat , haggis and black pudding .
Wrapped in streaky bacon , a rub then smoked .

Only a few slices left in freezer , nice heated up with homemade chutney in bread/roll . Lush brunch snack
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Mike J wrote: Sat Aug 29 2020 09:25 -

to a poseur loadsamoney.

Smoking hot now I've learned how to use it. Got myself an infra-red thermometer & some welding gloves now :laughs:
Last time I did a temperature check I got 542 Celcius .... and I've had it hotter. Sunday roasts are pretty good in this baby, had a nice leg if Lamb & a large piece of pork shoulder ... the crackling was to die for. Pizzas are fantastic too - but the most highly rated product yet has been the desserts... Nutella Calzones with Cadburys Caramel inside. Served with a scoop of ice-cream & a handful of raspberries.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

jonsykes wrote: Tue Sep 22 2020 23:14 -
Mike J wrote: Sat Aug 29 2020 09:25 -

to a poseur loadsamoney.

Smoking hot now I've learned how to use it. Got myself an infra-red thermometer & some welding gloves now :laughs:
Last time I did a temperature check I got 542 Celcius .... and I've had it hotter. Sunday roasts are pretty good in this baby, had a nice leg if Lamb & a large piece of pork shoulder ... the crackling was to die for. Pizzas are fantastic too - but the most highly rated product yet has been the desserts... Nutella Calzones with Cadburys Caramel inside. Served with a scoop of ice-cream & a handful of raspberries.

542C now your talking, the results look delish plus you have the added bonus it will melt lead.

I took my old bbq to the tip yest and now its off to the sawmill for the fuel then all out to get my keg smoking.
Have access to complete sides of pork so probably start with a rack of ribs and decent sized lump of cheese as it cools down.
I will keep you posted and probably be asking for a few tips for a spicy rub mix :thumbs:

jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Scott wrote: Tue Sep 22 2020 21:43 -
One from a few week ago , a dirty battenburg .
2 lots of sausage meat , haggis and black pudding .
Wrapped in streaky bacon , a rub then smoked .

Only a few slices left in freezer , nice heated up with homemade chutney in bread/roll . Lush brunch snack
That looks extremely nice!
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

What would you all recommend as a good smoker for a first timer? I fancy having a crack at this! Steve a pac, your meat (opens himself up for lots of jokes) looks amazing!! :grin:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

😂😂 see what ya saying, the pro Q is a fairly good smoker. I have the Weber Smoky Mountain 57cm. It’s worth looking on your local facebook market place or maybe ebay to pick up an used bargain.
steve a pac
Chub
Chub

Post by steve a pac »

Done a 13lb brisket Sunday for the lads at work monday, smoked for 14 hrs at 225f, 2.5 hrs rested.