Great Redacted Zander?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
skov
Stickleback
Stickleback

Great Redacted Zander?

Post by skov »

Hi All,

Anyone know if it's worth targeting Zander on the Great redacted between say redacted and redacted? Or are they all further redacted or in the redacted etc?

Thanks!
Last edited by skov on Tue Sep 15 2020 13:12, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Re: Great Ouse Zander?

Post by Mark Phillips »

There's decent numbers of zander in that part of the river, so definitely worth a bash, but the lower reaches would be my first choice for the chance of a bigger fish, i.e. downstream of Ely. Depends on what sort of fishing you're looking for I guess.
Piking Plonker
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Mark Phillips wrote:
There's decent numbers of zander in that part of the river, so definitely worth a bash, but the lower reaches would be my first choice for the chance of a bigger fish, i.e. downstream of Ely. Depends on what sort of fishing you're looking for I guess.
Funny that Mark because I would have said almost the opposite with fish as far up stream as St Neots almost averaging double figures, possibly due to lower numbers :shrug:

Skov you have pm

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
skov
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by skov »

Thanks guys.
Either way sounds promising!
I've never caught a zed, so at the moment would be happy with one any size.
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

Ive had a few out of that neck of the woods....although havent bothered for 4 or 5 years now.

Would agree with Alan from my experience back then, but that being said I wasn't brilliant at zander fishing then (or now....!)

What i found to be key was fishing into darkness though, i dont remember actually catching anything in the light at all- and lives massively outscored deads.

Good luck, fingers crossed theres still a few left to be caught
James Dobie.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

I mainly lure fished that end of the river and much of the time I was trolling it, so covering a lot of water quite quickly and we caught lots of schoolies at the time, with the odd fish of 8/9. Didn't get many doubles from that area and when we did they were 10 and ounces; the best I ever had was a 13.10. The lower Ouse up toward Denver was at one time full of pesky little zander - I can recall sitting there getting runs all day long on Ten Mile Bank. Yep, broad daylight, no need to fish into dark, but if you got one over 6lb you'd done well... of course that's all changed and now most fish you get are much better sizes, I'd say averaging 7 to 9. Doubles aren't uncommon now, but I still maintain it's slower fishing than other parts of that river, albeit the average size is better - just going on my results. You don't seem to get the smaller fish anymore up that way. Again, aside from the odd session with baits from the bank, most of my zander fishing in recent years along that river is trolling lures. Which I know produces far more fish than plotting up in one spot all day, albeit for bigger fish, that's how I would actually fish for them, using lives of course.

I'm not saying where for obvious reasons, but one Fenland water I like to fish for zander is now chucking up really good average sizes and last season alone, I had several doubles from only a few sessions, just fishing from first light to a couple of hours after dark. Ten years back, same water, same methods - most of the zander were under 7lb and a double was quite rare. It's really interesting to see how the rivers have evolved for zander fishing.

Then again, you can go to Rutland and fill your boots, although strangely, I'd rather catch half a dozen zander from a river or drain, than haul up 50 schoolies on a jig - fun though it is, the novelty factor wore off on me quite quickly.
Piking Plonker
dropped_run
Perch
Perch

Post by dropped_run »

I wish I could catch them trolling :laughs:

I think I've had one in three seasons. Just doesn't seem to happen for whatever reason. That being said I think more exploring is in order. Wish there were more slips available though.

Rutland is nice if you need a few hits. I couldn't do it more than a couple of times a season though
James Dobie.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

dropped_run wrote:
I wish I could catch them trolling :laughs:

I think I've had one in three seasons. Just doesn't seem to happen for whatever reason. That being said I think more exploring is in order. Wish there were more slips available though.

Rutland is nice if you need a few hits. I couldn't do it more than a couple of times a season though
I know of a nice free slip if your boat is light enough :wink:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Post by The great Gavino »

Have recently moved to this area (near St Ives) and getting my Zed-head on again. Lots of Perch but no Zander as of yet. Been Jigging but gonna start with dead’s soon. Enormous seal keeps turning up at my feet and making me jump. Not ideal
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

download.jpg

Check the date of the posts Gavino :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Well I never 🥴
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

They are still in the Ouse, some areas fish better after dark, some fish ok during a gloomy day.

Have no managed to catch them on livies and deads, but a small livebait down the shelf edge is were I would start. Not had one on a lure, but better lure anglers have had schoolies during the day on lures.
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Aaah the Great Ouse, a veritable "Theatre of Breams", I've always loved the place.

I drove by a few weeks ago whilst holidaying in Lincs, if only I'd had my gear in the car instead of the wife and kids..........

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
fenfisher55
Roach
Roach

Post by fenfisher55 »

Its so pleasing to not hear waters not being named, nor stretches of waters, even after 4 years
skov
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by skov »

Was it really 4 years ago that I started this thread? I still haven't caught a bloody Zander...
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

skov wrote: Tue Sep 15 2020 08:03 -
Was it really 4 years ago that I started this thread? I still haven't caught a bloody Zander...
But have you caught a tench out of you know where yet?
Actually know as Danny..
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

skov wrote: Tue Sep 15 2020 08:03 -
:laughs:
skov
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by skov »

Fish on.... wrote: Tue Sep 15 2020 10:36 -

Yes, but only the one, and I was targetting carp at the time.
Funnily enough the only carp I caught in there was on my tench rod.
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

skov wrote: Tue Sep 15 2020 13:10 -
Fish on.... wrote: Tue Sep 15 2020 10:36 -

Yes, but only the one, and I was targetting carp at the time.
Funnily enough the only carp I caught in there was on my tench rod.
:laughs: :laughs: that’s about right for that place
Actually know as Danny..
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Sep 14 2020 09:07 -
They are still in the Ouse, some areas fish better after dark, some fish ok during a gloomy day.

Have no managed to catch them on livies and deads, but a small livebait down the shelf edge is were I would start. Not had one on a lure, but better lure anglers have had schoolies during the day on lures.
Schoolies? Not so my friend. I'd say at least two thirds of zander I have caught on lures (excluding jigs) from that river have been 7lb to 8lb plus - a fair few doubles too. The better fish do like a decent size lure as well. Probably the hardest part of it is finding them, so, you need a boat or be prepared to do a lot of walking :smile:
Piking Plonker
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

fenfisher55 wrote: Tue Sep 15 2020 00:22 -
Its so pleasing to not hear waters not being named, nor stretches of waters, even after 4 years
Fair dinkum mate, big water though. 👍
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

Re: Great Redacted Zander?

A stretch I’m looking at on this part of the (undisclosed river) is crammed full of bait fish the entire length. Had to do some swim clearance as it’s unfishable either side of the river for two miles. I won’t let you know if I catch anything 🥴
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

The great Gavino wrote: Thu Sep 17 2020 11:18 -
A stretch I’m looking at on this part of the (undisclosed river) is crammed full of bait fish the entire length. Had to do some swim clearance as it’s unfishable either side of the river for two miles. I won’t let you know if I catch anything 🥴
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

When are you chaps starting your Zandering? Still pretty warm out
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Took my youngest two kids out about 3-4 weeks ago for a very early morning session sat on the rods but not been out myself. They had 6 in two very short sessions though and there seemed to be a lot of smaller ones which were immaculate, which bodes really well after the sustained flooding we suffered ALL of last winter.

A month ago the rivers had a bit of water on them from recent rains and were flowing through but they are back to normal now. Weather set to turn this week and nights already getting a bit chilly, I'll probably start getting out on evening sessions into dark over the next week or two mate. :thumbs:
The great Gavino
Roach
Roach

This weekend for me. Absolutely buzzing to get back in the fens