Pike fly outfit

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Pike fly outfit

Post by jeff smith »

Having borrowed an outfit last season and enjoyed a few trips , with some success, I’m now looking for recommendations for a basic pike fly outfit????
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Re: Pike fly outfit

Post by Muskie »

A 9/10 weight fly rod will serve you well with a suitable reel. Fly rods are a very personal thing so suggest you try a few and choose to purchase what you are comfortable casting with and dependent upon your budget.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

If your not bothered what you look like.
Reel - Okuma Airflo 8/9 (bomb proof and ex popular in the salt)
Rod - 10ft Avon style or light carp.
Line - 8/9 or 9/10 Floating Weight Forward over 50yds of pike braid for backing
Leader - Amnesia 30lb with wire tip(pet)
If you want a casting basket convert a Forstiktig stool http://www.ikea.com/ae/en/catalog/products/60248418/

Dont bother false casting just strip line at your feet and bomb it out, the majority of takes will be along the banks.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Here is were you need to go for advice ;-)

http://www.pffa.co.uk/
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

Thanks for the advice guys.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi Jeff
If you just want to try catching a pike on a fly any spinning rod and reel will chuck a pike fly far enough to catch a pikes attention and a few lead shot will sink it to any depth you require.
Have a go and if your still interested I will gift you a suitable fly rod if you cover the postage.

All this floppy rod, fancy centrepin and weighted line is just expensively dressing up what is a relativly simple task, that being putting the fly (lure) where the fish can see it.

:handshake:

Me - 8 reels, 9 rods, ??lines, 3-400flies.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

Mike J wrote: Fri Sep 18 2020 09:55 -
Hi Jeff
If you just want to try catching a pike on a fly any spinning rod and reel will chuck a pike fly far enough to catch a pikes attention and a few lead shot will sink it to any depth you require.
Have a go and if your still interested I will gift you a suitable fly rod if you cover the postage.

All this floppy rod, fancy centrepin and weighted line is just expensively dressing up what is a relativly simple task, that being putting the fly (lure) where the fish can see it.

Mike, That is massively generous of you and I shall certainly take you up on your offer. Last season , with the borrowed outfit,I had a few sessions on a local lake when
My favourite river was flooded. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and, did have some success- the thrill of seeing the follows and hit made it more so.
I’ll probably be an ‘occasional’ fly piker as I’m far too tied up , and enjoy, the other methods so do appreciate your offer. Will PM you
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Hi Jeff

Defeating the whole purpose of fly fishing really by using a spinning rod far different Experience if you ask me :drunk:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Biggthepool wrote: Tue Sep 22 2020 22:20 -
Hi Jeff

Defeating the whole purpose of fly fishing really by using a spinning rod far different Experience if you ask me :drunk:

Posted because I (wrongly) assumed he just wanted to try a fly for a pike and not the whole swish slosh game.
Lumping out a bundle of tinsle and marabou on 3/4lb TC excuse for a (pike) fly rod isn't genuine fly fishing either but Im happy to help Jeff do it.

For me walking the banks in summer with a light fly rod is just an excuse to be on a river when it is most alive, the catching being almost an irrelevance.
My final angling frontier is an English springer on the long rod so from mid Feb the pike get a reprieve as I attempt to achieve it.

IMG_2145.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

I get what your saying but as an avid pike fly fisher I just don’t think chucking and catching on a spinning rod would benefit him in anyway as to what fly fishing is about 😁 he would be more jigging twitching for them
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Biggthepool wrote: Wed Sep 23 2020 08:22 -
I get what your saying but as an avid pike fly fisher I just don’t think chucking and catching on a spinning rod would benefit him in anyway as to what fly fishing is about 😁 he would be more jigging twitching for them

On spinning set-up - fly pike catch, cost = £ (saving benefit).
Fly set-up - rod reel backing line leader fly pike catch, cost = £££.

So what is "fly fishing all about"? Really All about :shrug:
To me it is an overly complicated method of catching a fish that is a form of high art in the minds of many.
To others an excuse (if needed) to buy more tackle, to be on an exclusive river in spring and summer or to fish exotic locations.
Or when you've done almost everything else is it simply a final challenge?

Cord handline to IGFA 130 to 4wt angling anything with fins - is that avid

or an addiction :grin:

Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Can I ask you what spinning for pike is all about ??

Personally I see it as learning a way off fishing that I enjoy doing which is more difficult than chuck a lure don’t see myself better than anyone else just what I enjoy doing more. Have you ever tried mike?

Also that is complete nonsense about price I think you should have another think about that
Sad Boy
Roach
Roach

Post by Sad Boy »

The new Vision starter outfit is brilliant value, no need to upgrade
Make sure it’s the new one with the green 4 pice Rod
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Biggthepool wrote: Wed Sep 23 2020 14:40 -

Personally I see it as learning a way off fishing that I enjoy doing which is more difficult than chuck a lure don’t see myself better than anyone else just what I enjoy doing more. Have you ever tried mike?

Also that is complete nonsense about price I think you should have another think about that
Can I ask you what spinning for pike is all about ?? Yes you can.
Have you ever tried mike? Yes.
I was assuming he already had a spinng set-up, as such my suggestion was not nonsense.
As the OP prefers a fly rod Im gifting him one on Sunday. How nice if a regular pike flyfisher gifted him a few flies?

Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Mike J wrote: Thu Sep 24 2020 11:24 -
Biggthepool wrote: Wed Sep 23 2020 14:40 -

Can I ask you what spinning for pike is all about ?? Yes you can.
Have you ever tried mike? Yes.
I was assuming he already had a spinng set-up, as such my suggestion was not nonsense.
As the OP prefers a fly rod Im gifting him one on Sunday. How nice if a regular pike flyfisher gifted him a few flies?

My nonsense Comment if you read was about you trying to say a fly outfit is far more expensive than a spinning one?
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I used a #10wt fly rod and a #10 at Rio Outbound shooting head for pike- typically with a 4ft 25lb fluoro tipped to a 12in Ti wire trace. Reel is a large arbor Orvis I got in a sale, same with the rod. Unlike trout fishing with a fly rod it's not delicate casting!! There are a couple of good musky fly fishing books on the market which will assist. Flies are pretty simple I tie my own on barbless Varivas singles using synthetics mostly to make them easier to cast
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Mike J wrote: Wed Sep 23 2020 09:37 -
Biggthepool wrote: Wed Sep 23 2020 08:22 -

On spinning set-up - fly pike catch, cost = £ (saving benefit).
Fly set-up - rod reel backing line leader fly pike catch, cost = £££.

So what is "fly fishing all about"? Really All about :shrug:
To me it is an overly complicated method of catching a fish that is a form of high art in the minds of many.
To others an excuse (if needed) to buy more tackle, to be on an exclusive river in spring and summer or to fish exotic locations.
Or when you've done almost everything else is it simply a final challenge?

Cord handline to IGFA 130 to 4wt angling anything with fins - is that avid

or an addiction :grin:

Don't get the "Overly complicated method" bit about casting with a fly rod?? :shrug: thousands of people fly fish in these Isles, all about timing that's all, once mastered ,then a formality :thumbs:
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Just relatively new to fly fishing for pike myself, and I'd highly recommend it using a 9# rod. Depending on the waters available you'll need to choose what type of line from floating to s7 sinking. I fish the Thames so now use all three where suitable. Oddly, I'm finding the fly is more selective for bigger pike than any other lure I've used so far. For example, in a typical fly fishing session we nearly always catch at least one double, whereas I've been lure fishing (plugs, spoons, & spinners) on the Thames for nearly twenty years and only had one double on a spoon. Since August I've had over half a dozen doubles on the fly. There's also many different ways to present a pike fly, but very few ways if you're just using a spinning rod, you really need the fly line for the job.
Mono1
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Mono1 »

Pinkie wrote: Mon Dec 14 2020 15:00 -
Just relatively new to fly fishing for pike myself, and I'd highly recommend it using a 9# rod. Depending on the waters available you'll need to choose what type of line from floating to s7 sinking. I fish the Thames so now use all three where suitable. Oddly, I'm finding the fly is more selective for bigger pike than any other lure I've used so far. For example, in a typical fly fishing session we nearly always catch at least one double, whereas I've been lure fishing (plugs, spoons, & spinners) on the Thames for nearly twenty years and only had one double on a spoon. Since August I've had over half a dozen doubles on the fly. There's also many different ways to present a pike fly, but very few ways if you're just using a spinning rod, you really need the fly line for the job.
Too true.