The Big Fish Scene by Frank Guttfield and other contributors

Muskie
Chub
Chub

The Big Fish Scene by Frank Guttfield and other contributors

Post by Muskie »

A book which fired my imagination to fish for specimen fish as a teenager many moons ago and a recent second hand purchase. Still a good read and excellent writings from contributors for various species.

Incidentally, its incredible how much record weights have increased for coarse fish since this books publication.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: The Big Fish Scene by Frank Guttfield and other contributors

Post by Mike J »

Muskie wrote: Sat Oct 17 2020 11:58 -
A book which fired my imagination to fish for specimen fish as a teenager many moons ago and a recent second hand purchase. Still a good read and excellent writings from contributors for various species.

Incidentally, its incredible how much record weights have increased for coarse fish since this books publication.

I remember the book well.
It blew one of our places because blacks were only found in two locations and one was closed to anglers.

Nice guy, I met him a few times. Big fish by design, says it all really.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

A big inspiration here too. My copy is almost falling apart. Len Head's brace of big tench was something unimaginable to me at the time when a three pounder was huge on my local cut.
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Yes, Len's chapter was good what with tying rushes to stones etc to fool the tench. Kevin Clifford's chapter on carp fired me and later the writings of Peter Frost reflected my own similar experiences of catfish from the stately homes in the late 90's. Roach and rudd i have never fished for but great chapters too by John Bailey.

Beekays "Top Ten" book some years later was a poor imitation of The Big Fish Scene.