Back to lure fishing

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Back to lure fishing

Post by Robert Woods »

Hi, Have not been lure fishing for quite a few years as sold most of my stuff. Kept likes of 4" Big Hammer baits, mini jerkbaits including my DIY ones which I used on local bridgewater canal. Now we have moved to Lincolnshire last year I have hundreds of miles of drains to explore even got one back of bungalow. Any way been catching 1lb jacks & perch on small crank baits but they swallow lures and takes me ages to unhook them...!!! I did crimp barbs on trebles but can I take middle treble off just leaving tail one on...?
giantlureguy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Back to lure fishing

Post by giantlureguy »

It probably wont affect the hookup ratio much on smaller lures so i wouldint worry about that.

One thing you should check is how it affects lure action, some lure swim fine with no belly treble, others become inbalanced due to the missing weight of the treble.

Another option could be replacing the treble with a single hook, something line the owner s55 ot s75.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Agree change to barbless lure singles there are a couple of types on the market.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

giantlureguy wrote: Mon Oct 05 2020 02:14 -
It probably wont affect the hookup ratio much on smaller lures so i wouldint worry about that.

One thing you should check is how it affects lure action, some lure swim fine with no belly treble, others become inbalanced due to the missing weight of the treble.

Another option could be replacing the treble with a single hook, something line the owner s55 ot s75.
You can use tungsten putty on the empty split ring to replace ballast, or use a hook such as an Eagle Claw where the three points can be bent right into the shank without snapping.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Robert Woods wrote: Mon Oct 05 2020 00:27 -
Hi, Have not been lure fishing for quite a few years as sold most of my stuff. Kept likes of 4" Big Hammer baits, mini jerkbaits including my DIY ones which I used on local bridgewater canal. Now we have moved to Lincolnshire last year I have hundreds of miles of drains to explore even got one back of bungalow. Any way been catching 1lb jacks & perch on small crank baits but they swallow lures and takes me ages to unhook them...!!! I did crimp barbs on trebles but can I take middle treble off just leaving tail one on...?
Reducing the number of hooks does help a lot, and just a tail treble hooks up really well too. On the small lures I make, I have just one treble on the back and ballast accordingly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

To make unhooking easier attach the treble to the towing eye via length of trace wire.
Rig so the hook is midway between the lower eye and the tail eye and hold it inplace with a short section of light mono, copper wire or elastic band.
The system also stops the fish using the lure to lever itself off the hook.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Robert Woods »

Had a walk along one of the drains today after cutting down what I carry again. I use a Wychwood trout bag for perch fishing mainly with soft rubber baits like 2" kopytos, small weedless worms and trying the new ned baits. Plus box of small crankbaits etc...lol But it is a pain to change lures. So what about something like this...https://predatortackle.co.uk/Luggage/Fr ... 020-Model/ . Cannot wear a waist bag as only 5ft 2" tall and have an old beer belly...lol.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Robert Woods wrote: Sat Oct 17 2020 20:35 -
Had a walk along one of the drains today after cutting down what I carry again. I use a Wychwood trout bag for perch fishing mainly with soft rubber baits like 2" kopytos, small weedless worms and trying the new ned baits. Plus box of small crankbaits etc...lol But it is a pain to change lures. So what about something like this...https://predatortackle.co.uk/Luggage/Fr ... 020-Model/ . Cannot wear a waist bag as only 5ft 2" tall and have an old beer belly...lol.

Hi Rob,
Probably the best roaming angler in recent years was the late Derek Gibson, his wife modified the inside of his jacket to carry his lures.
An old camera bag is another shortcut, as is stashing short lures in cutdown milk containers and only attaching the hooks when ready to use.
Im still in the use one or two but carry +10 stages of reduction.

Have a good season and please take extra care of you and yours.

Mike.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Robert Woods
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Robert Woods »

Mike, my first fishing bag was a WW2 gas mask bag "borrowed" off my Father, even had place for forceps. Take care mucker.
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Robert Woods wrote: Mon Oct 05 2020 00:27 -
I'd never recommend any kind of single hook on a hard bodied lure. Far better to either remove hooks or to keep the trebles where they are and use a finer gauge wire with barbs slightly crushed. Gamakatsu trebles are perfect for that and the finer wire makes unhooking a lot easier in my experience. Glad you're back having fun with the lures!
Piking Plonker