Okuma Psycho Perch 7ft 3 in7to 32g med Baitcaster rod

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Steve Riley
Stickleback
Stickleback

Okuma Psycho Perch 7ft 3 in7to 32g med Baitcaster rod

Post by Steve Riley »

Hi , new to forum so please be gentle 😁 Does anyone use the above rod for Perch. I was thinking of getting this for also targeting the smaller Pike on my lake . Pike up to 8lb are common and there are some good sized Perch. Not a Pike rod obviously but the small Pike would be fun on this lighter outfit. I have a Daiwa Exceler Baitcaster with 30lb Power Pro to team it with. Also a bit worried about casting the lighter lures with a Baitcaster as I use heavier Pike lures with it which I don’t have a problem with. I will be targeting the Perch but large head of Pike will invetibally hit the lures so a wire trace will be used, a lighter one obviously. Any thoughts on the above set up will be appreciated. The rod is £60 from my local tackle shop and am thinking of getting one.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Okuma Psycho Perch 7ft 3 in7to 32g med Baitcaster rod

Post by Stewlaws »

I've got a Grey's 6'6" I use with a curado but falling out of love with such a small rod, I've found using a 9' rod so much easier for fishing over margins and ease of casting .... In fact I'm in the market of a new lure rod and one criteria was over 9' .
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

You'll be fine with that rod Steve.
Stew ... do you have budget restraints..? Only I have a couple of new custom builds might interest you.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Lighter lures can be a bit of a faff with a baitcaster - eg. If you're casting into the wind. FS just makes everything easier.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

jonsykes wrote: Wed Oct 28 2020 02:20 -
Stew ... do you have budget restraints..? Only I have a couple of new custom builds might interest you.
Out of interest Jon.. What have you got, cheers
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

jonsykes wrote: Wed Oct 28 2020 02:20 -

Details please Jon, I could be interested in an upgrade.
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Having gone through a number of rods for perch fishing I'm currently using an okuma inspira

Not massively expensive but quality build for the price with Fuji fittings and a beautiful action. Defo the best rod I've used so far for perch.
It's not in the same bracket as some of these massively expenisve rods some of the ultra light guys are using but more than enough for what I'm using it for ......
Will defo be looking at other okuma rods for spinning in the future, teamed it up with a helios reel. A lot of bang for your buck.
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

I will provide details of the custom rods next week when I am back at work. Cheers
Steve Riley
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Steve Riley »

Well I took the plunge and purchased the Pyscho Perch baitcaster rod Today. Had a little play on my local patch and am well pleased with it . Had a couple of small Pike and it was great fun with this lighter outfit. The Exceller baitcaster handled the lighter spinners OK but to be fair I was mainly pitching into margin overhangs. It’s a nice light set up which I think will cover the Perch and smaller Pike just perfect. Glad I bought it and thanks for the input. 👍
Grum
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Grum »

Iv been reading your post & replies with interest as my local TS has okuma psycho perch casting rod 4/21gram & 7/28gram CW for £50 in sale & an okuma ceymar baitcaster reel £60 after reading this i think il buy them on my payday😁🎣