Sloe Gin etc - make your own booze

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Sloe Gin etc - make your own booze

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Still off work but putting the time to good use after collecting a load of sloes last week. Thought it might be good to share a few foraging / brewing / booze ideas.

Pick and freeze sloes.
Defrost and they split which saves pricking everyone single one of them!
Fill a sterilised kiln jar to within an inch ot the top.
Fill with Gin. I dont bother with the good stuff. Cheap London gin from the supermarkets.
Store in a cool dark (i dont know why but that is what the books say) cupboard. Turn and move a bit weekly for 2-3 months.

Taste test day.
Make sugar syrup by heating sugar in water.
Filter the gin through a sterile sieve, then through muslin. Keep the sloe berries!
Add the sugar syrup to taste.... the fun bit! Job done! Sloe Gin for Christmas!

Sloe berries back in a re- sterilised kiln jar. Add a bottle of Rioja / Chianti. Leave for a month or two in the came cupboard.
Sieve and filter through muslin as before.
Add 250ml brandy.
Add sugar syrup if required to taste.
Basic sloe fortified wine... its lovely.

I also did victoria plum Gin / fortified wine in the same way last year but didnt freeze them, just pricked the plums skin / flesh a few times. Gorgeous. Missed the viccy plums this year but just bought some other plums from the supermarkt and in soak! :thumbs:

Any other ideas???? :thumbs: :cheers: :dizzy:
Love the hit!
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Sloe Gin etc - make your own booze

Post by jonsykes »

I've done Sloe Gin, Sloe Whisky, Damson Gjn, Rhubarb Gin & Sloe Ruby (made with port instead of gin.
The best 2 in my eyes are the Damson gin & Rhubarb gin. Damsons don't need pricking or freezing as they tend to disintegrate anyway - but thiey make a more fruity & plummy drink than Sloes. Rhubarb is a good one as it can be drink after 2 weeks.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Old Farmers recipe.

Pick sloes after the first frost, preferably with the bloom on.
Prick with silver fork or thorns from sloe bush.
Empty gin bottle, 1/3 fill with white sugar, fill with sloes, top up with gin.
Stand bottle in old milk crate by the door, every time you go through it turn the bottle upside down.
Stop turning 1week efore the Boxing day shoot, drink on the day and top up with more gin the same evening, drink to empty at the end of the last fox shoot (not before).

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

The only reason for picking after the first frost is that they are 100% ripe by then.... as the demand for them has risen dramatically they get picked earlier & earlier and quite often before they have ripened. Also, pricking them is futile when freezing does the same job better and easier.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

I used to do blackberry vodka.- mix same amount of blackberries with sugar.place somewhere warm,I used to heat up oven ,turn it off then leave them in there overnight. The sugar draws out the juice.
Strain through muslin then mix the resulting syrup with equal amount of cheap vodka.
You can either drink neat or with a mixer.
Too late for this year though unless someone's got blackberries in the freezer!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Tue Oct 27 2020 21:03 -
I used to do blackberry vodka.- mix same amount of blackberries with sugar.place somewhere warm,I used to heat up oven ,turn it off then leave them in there overnight. The sugar draws out the juice.
Strain through muslin then mix the resulting syrup with equal amount of cheap vodka.
You can either drink neat or with a mixer.
Too late for this year though unless someone's got blackberries in the freezer!
Yes I have, about 5ks in the bait freezer :laughs: I use them as winter toppings for my muesli.
I also have blackberry syrup in the fridge.
No vodka so I will try the syrup with Bacardi, a bottle I unearthed the other day, might make it drinkable (its only guests that drink it).

Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited by Mike J on Sat Feb 27 2021 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Milvuss
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Milvuss »

Swap the gin for Vodka. No need for all the typical gin 'botanicals', a much cleaner fruit-flavoured spirit is the result.
No need for expensive Vodka either, supermarket own brands do the trick.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Swap both for port....blackberry port. The winner.
With the sloe gin for extra added" yorkshire" tight fistedness when you strain off redo it with a cheap bottle of lambrini and then.....3rd hand on a backing tray with melted dark chocolate.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Mates wife did gin with the zest of an Orange, grapefruit and lemon.
I.was amazed how quickly this worked. It looked like poorly man's pee in less than a day and was drinkable in well under a fortnight.
For a proper headbanger pear drops- the boiled sweets in a cheap bottle of vodka. Deffo no need for the sugar here.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

we have several demi johns full of sloe and black berry gin soaking away
1" of sloes in bottom of demi jon, 1lb of caster sugar, 3l of gin---keep shaking it every now and then---and dont let Grant near it, champion sloe gin guzzler at the last Pit do :wink:
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

JohnCopeman wrote: Mon Nov 16 2020 21:50 -
Swap both for port....blackberry port. The winner.
With the sloe gin for extra added" yorkshire" tight fistedness when you strain off redo it with a cheap bottle of lambrini and then.....3rd hand on a backing tray with melted dark chocolate.
The BlackBerry Port has taken my interest John. Do you add any sugar when making that?
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

I never add sugar first as fruits have their own sugar content and it varies.
Taste test day is fun.... make a sugar syrup after steeping and add to taste.

I made some Victoria plum gin and then added the left over plums a bottle of Chianti for 6 weeks. The filtered and added 250ml of brandy.... now that was nice! Didn't last long.
This year I had to buy plums from the supermarket.... not done yet!
Love the hit!
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Last year I made Cherry whisky. Same proportions as sloe gin etc., and add sugar to taste. Yummy. Don't waste a single malt though. Famous grouse is sufficient.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

This years batch :thumbs:

12 ltrs of joy in a bottle. :laughs:
Made one batch of blackberry gin with a little bit more sugar, I still more akin to a liqueur, nice and thick :cool:
20E0AF37-B648-4983-8328-EA2EEDC61FF7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Edward.P.A.C wrote: Sat Jan 09 2021 17:28 -

Made one batch of blackberry gin with a little bit more sugar, I still more akin to a liqueur, nice and thick :cool: 20E0AF37-B648-4983-8328-EA2EEDC61FF7.jpeg
Omg they look so good
Might have ago myself this year
Regards
Tom
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

2l of our sloe gin has mysteriously evaporated already :wink: :cool:
keeps covid away :clown:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Mr Sykes....hardly any sugar in any of ours....most we put in is say pint of booze pound of fruit but only 4 oz sugar....it all depends how sweet you want it. As the port is fortified it spent make it any stronger at all...just dissolves.
If you like it sweet try vodka with just boiled sweets- pear drops, cola cubes, aniseed twist etc.
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Cheers John, I don't put a lot in any of mine ... made the mistake of using an Internet recipe for Rhubarb gin before & it was far too sweet, though using dry ginger as a mixer made it more drinkable. This years spent fruit from the Sloe Gin has now got Port in.
bryan m
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by bryan m »

I made Sloe Gin for the first time in September, yes i know it was a bit early but the berries were ready and i froze them to help them burst, and it was pretty easy to do.
I opened the first bottle christmas eve and it was gorgeous, i don't really drink but wanted to give it a try, ended up finishing most of my stock by Boxing Day evening lol.
I,ll be collecting a lot more when they are ready this season.
I posted the recipe on my blog here if you want a look [url]http://bryanscountryside.co.uk/various/sloe-gin//url]
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

Growing upI heard of plenty making Sloe gin and always thought they were actually making the Gin, once I realised that they were just taking essentially crappy gin and bunging Sloes/damsons in it I couldn't see the point at all. I dislike sweet drinks and would much prefer to drink good unsweetened gin.Hardly seems worth the hassle to me.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Happy as ever.....
Seriously....it ain't always " sweet".
Make it to your palet.
My mates Sloe Gin was always ready in less than a week and always tasted a lot like gin.
Chico 48 PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Chico 48 PAC »

It tasted a lot like gin....then simply drink gin.
JOIN THE PAC- http://www.pacgb.co.uk/join.html
www.chicoslures.co.uk - if you use FC for pike then do not use me.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Made one batch of blackberry gin with a little bit more sugar, I still more akin to a liqueur, nice and thick :cool: 20E0AF37-B648-4983-8328-EA2EEDC61FF7.jpeg
You best save me some. That batch we had at [redacted] was bloody lovely. I couldnt place it at the time but I said it reminds me of something.....

Believe it or not it actually reminds me of buckfast but without the caffeine overdose and a lot more... palatable ? is the word I think I'm looking for ?
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

bryan m wrote: Fri Feb 26 2021 16:01 -
I made Sloe Gin for the first time in September, yes i know it was a bit early but the berries were ready and i froze them to help them burst, and it was pretty easy to do.
I opened the first bottle christmas eve and it was gorgeous, i don't really drink but wanted to give it a try, ended up finishing most of my stock by Boxing Day evening lol.
I,ll be collecting a lot more when they are ready this season.
I posted the recipe on my blog here if you want a look [url]http://bryanscountryside.co.uk/various/sloe-gin//url]
September isn't necessarily early. It depends where you pick the sloes & how ripe they are. Up here in Yorkshire they might ripen in late September, but while on holiday on the South coast i've picked some bumper hauls of very ripe ones in August both in Dorset & Cornwall. I don't go in for the old tale of only picking them after the first frost - i think that's only ever been said because they must be ripe by then.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Andrew Croft wrote: Fri Mar 05 2021 23:26 -

You best save me some. That batch we had at [redacted] was bloody lovely. I couldnt place it at the time but I said it reminds me of something.....

Believe it or not it actually reminds me of buckfast but without the caffeine overdose and a lot more... palatable ? is the word I think I'm looking for ?
:thumbs: best you drag your sorry ginger a**e to the next social (whenever that is :roll: ) then. :thumbs:
I’ve also got a couple of good :wink: malts I’ll bring along. But might have to ration those to those who’ll appreciate them.
So far it’ll only be Stew and myself that’ll be sharing a dram :laughs: :laughs: