Trout on Deadbait

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Luki86
Stickleback
Stickleback

Trout on Deadbait

Post by Luki86 »

Hey my Friends!

I am new here on pikers pit and read a lot of interessting things the last days.
It was very interessting for me that there are some trout has been catched during pike fishing.
Can you tell me more about this catches?
I read a book about ferox trout and there is something written about deadbaiting at night for ferox trout. Is this normal?
Are the trouts bigger which are catched on deadbaits during piking?

I hope i can get some informations from you here.
I am very sorry for my bad Englisch.

All the best

Luke
Last edited by Luki86 on Mon Feb 01 2021 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Re: Trout on Deadbait

Post by Steve D »

It’s very common for trout to be caught on deadbaits, they can actually become a pain but it’s all part and parcel of fishing for pike on the trout reservoirs . It doesn’t seem to matter what bait you use either, if they can fit it in their gob they will have it! There’s been some Huge ones caught on deadbaits over the years by Pikers . I’ve had them to 11lb myself on mackerel but others have had much bigger.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Over here some of us pikers fish reservoirs that are stocked with trout as the pike that live in them grow big eating them.Catching trout on deadbaits is fairly common on these waters,the bigger ones are often brown trout.I've had several over 10lb with the biggest going 17.13lb but I believe the biggest from Chew valley is around 22lb.They will take sea deads such as sardines and mackerel and the days when they are really on the feed they can be a nuisance if you are trying to catch pike!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

In some English rivers migratory Trout/Sea Trout will eat deadbaits, sea fish baits but also baits made from fish pellets used in commercial fish farming, I know of fish to 7kg that have been caught on both.
Large Brown trout can also be caught on some lure patterns/colours.

Welcome to our Forum :handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mattjb wrote: Sat Dec 05 2020 20:00 -
Over here some of us pikers fish reservoirs that are stocked with trout as the pike that live in them grow big eating them.Catching trout on deadbaits is fairly common on these waters,the bigger ones are often brown trout.I've had several over 10lb with the biggest going 17.13lb but I believe the biggest from Chew valley is around 22lb.They will take sea deads such as sardines and mackerel and the days when they are really on the feed they can be a nuisance if you are trying to catch pike!
Agree 100%, very common to get trout picking up deads on UK trout reservoirs, the biggest trout each year are usually caught by pike anglers. LOL. Lure wise, if you fish with certain lures and err on the smaller side, it can be a fish a cast in some places - hence the sensible rules applied regarding minimum lure sizes. Having said that, I've had a few double figure brownies on lures when pike fishing - all have taken big lures, e.g. I had 15.08 brownie on a 14" crank bait.
Piking Plonker
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mark Phillips wrote: Sun Jan 10 2021 14:46 -
Mattjb wrote: Sat Dec 05 2020 20:00 -
Agree 100%, very common to get trout picking up deads on UK trout reservoirs, the biggest trout each year are usually caught by pike anglers. LOL. Lure wise, if you fish with certain lures and err on the smaller side, it can be a fish a cast in some places - hence the sensible rules applied regarding minimum lure sizes. Having said that, I've had a few double figure brownies on lures when pike fishing - all have taken big lures, e.g. I had 15.08 brownie on a 14" crank bait.
I was fishing walley bank one February next to my mate using the same baits. I had a 26,19 and four other doubles.My mate on the other hand had a mare,lost a good pike at the net then proceeded to get absolutely annihilated by trout,every cast.Poor b*****d couldn't keep a bait out there for 5 mins ! Eventually he hooked what he was sure was a big pike,it turned out to be a trout around 8lb hooked in the back!
It was strange he was getting the trout trouble and I wasn't,can only think he was in the edge of a big shoal of them.
keith the piker
Roach
Roach

Post by keith the piker »

As Matt says, trout can be a real nuisance when deadbaiting for pike. I've had a lot of big ferox trout from a glacial lake on dead baits (they seem to like herring best ...) with some of these being caught at night.
Luki86
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Luki86 »

Many Thanks for your answers my friends. :)
Take the trouts the deadbait from the bottom? Maybe they do scavenging like the big pikes?
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Last edited by andrew_nagel on Sat Mar 06 2021 04:32, edited 1 time in total.
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

My pal decided to stop trolling for ferox trout which is particularly slow on that water and just basically pike fish in 60 plus feet of water. Amused himself by catching small ones on the maggot feeder and after many days trying caught one of 11lb. Not the most productive of waters to any method it although it does records every few decades, there're plenty more lochs further north that would do multiple catches of smaller trout on baits in a day.
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

A couple of years ago I nearly caught a Thames trout on a bleak in a weir pool. I was just reeling in the bleak after catching it on maggot, the bleak surfaces, then all of a sudden this big fish flashes out from nowhere, bolts towards the bleak, makes a grab for it but misses! At first sight I thought pike, then that's no pike, and then that was a trout, just as my mate says "was that a trout"? Said trout was quite silvery grey like a sea trout, and about 3lb in weight. Reminded me of the book, Trout of the Thames, by Hobbs. But back then when it was written Hobbs used bleak to catch double figure trout from the Thames. Still, nice to know that they're still in there!
Luki86
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Luki86 »

Many thanks for your answer!
Sounds interessting with the book. Is there something written about nightfishing in this book?

All the best

Luki
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

I think Hobbs did most of his trout. fishing during the day. Anyways, I can't remember reading about any night time adventure. Still, it's a great read.
Burnyburnside
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Burnyburnside »

I've never had trout on deadbait but had some quality chub on the rivers
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

On the local river for a few hours this morning with my fishing pal Keil. The first time either of us have fished it for years.

Float paternostering small deads in the hope of a pike, as the river had finally fined down after charging through for weeks!

We both had a couple of missed runs, then Keil hooked the culprit for his! :cool:

IMG-20210223-WA0000~2.jpg
(4 lbs 10 oz.).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

What a great trout. I bet your friend was surprised.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Pinkie wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 17:34 -
What a great trout. I bet your friend was surprised.
He was chuffed! :thumbs: Brownies are not uncommon in our local river, but it's unusual to get them that size!

(I told him it was out of season, so it 'didn't count'!). :laughs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

trout.jpg

It's the time of year for them on deads. This one picked up my (sizeable) bait at the weekend, two weeks after picking up a mate's!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Paddy_R wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 19:30 -
trout.jpg

It's the time of year for them on deads. This one picked up my (sizeable) bait at the weekend, two weeks after picking up a mate's!

:thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Two very nice trout there boys :thumbs: .
Did you ID it immediately as the same fish Paddy or was it not until you got the photos out later ?
Also was the recapture in the same general area or a fair distance away for the first capture ?

Will.
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

Will Smith wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 20:16 -
Did you ID it immediately as the same fish Paddy or was it not until you got the photos out later ?
Also was the recapture in the same general area or a fair distance away for the first capture ?

Will.
Similar area Will so had a fair idea it might be. Was nearly half a pound heavier but the same length. Confirmed it with photos.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Paddy_R wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 20:23 -
Will Smith wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 20:16 -

Will.
Similar area Will so had a fair idea it might be. Was nearly half a pound heavier but the same length. Confirmed it with photos.
Thanks Paddy, I am aware of a few repeat captures of trout on some of the waters that I fish, it has never happened to me though.

Will.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Well done Gents
Lovely fish .
Regards
Tom
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Paddy_R wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 19:30 -
trout.jpg

Superb fish Paddy :thumbs:
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Fact is that Trout eat fish it's a simple as that, each season good numbers start on the coarse fry around June, and some grow really big on them over the coming years, I have personally caught Trout, 8lb Rainbow with 3 x 6/7 inch roach in them in the past, and have also witnessed decent sized fish with large pieces of decomposed Trout inside stomach contents, there are a scavenger as much as Pike, and any other predator.

Also witnessed Large trout that have choked on fish, one fish (Double) had a 14oz Perch lodged in it's throat

Hanningfield reservoir in Essex used to have massive/huge Rainbows that hung around the stock fish cages, and as well as the free pellets, they also fed off the decomposed/rotting stock fish at the bottom of their cages.