stubbojo
Zander
Zander

bass on lures slow trolled

Post by stubbojo »

hols 016.JPG
second holiday bass 003.JPG
anglesea bass fishing 024.JPG
some times when we cant catch live bait we would use some deep diver mackerel lures over the reefs and big sand eel type..... we also hit some good pollack too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Squaze 123
Roach
Roach

Re: bass on lures slow trolled

Post by Squaze 123 »

Done well on this method in north Wales, diawa slither lures work a treat.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Try a live mackerel this way.
Drop the bait astern and tie a 3oz weight on the line 12-15ft ahead of the bait using 6-8" of 3-4lb mono, put the rod in a holder, hold the line in your finger tips and pull off 15m of line and let it trail in a loop behind, set the drag so it only gives line when the rod is in full fighting curve.
When a fish approaches the bait it will get very active, when its taken the line when a its pulled from your fingers.
When the fish is ready for netting, reach forward and snap off the lead before completing the job.
A 5/0 for joeys, 7/0 for channels, single circle thro the nostrils.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 12:34 -
Drop the bait astern and tie a 3oz weight on the line 12-15ft ahead of the bait using 6-8" of 3-4lb mono, put the rod in a holder, hold the line in your finger tips and pull off 15m of line and let it trail in a loop behind, set the drag so it only gives line when the rod is in full fighting curve.
When a fish approaches the bait it will get very active, when its taken the line when a its pulled from your fingers.
When the fish is ready for netting, reach forward and snap off the lead before completing the job.

i swear by live mackerel mike they always catch me the bigger fish , but you have to fish them under a float to stop them going into the reef and kelp that grows to over ten foot
so you need some kind of control ,another place we fish has a very strong tidel ripp , we like to fish the greater sandeels the very large ones , over a foot long-sometimes to good effect free lined but you lose a lot of fish due to the shallow run past the sweet spot , one day we had 37 bass to doubles but never repeated this even to this day....exhilarating to say the least ..... mike i will try that method pal, if conditions allow thanks for the tip mike
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 19:32 -

i swear by live mackerel mike they always catch me the bigger fish , but you have to fish them under a float to stop them going into the reef and kelp that grows to over ten foot
so you need some kind of control ,another place we fish has a very strong tidel ripp , we like to fish the greater sandeels the very large ones , over a foot long-sometimes to good effect free lined but you lose a lot of fish due to the shallow run past the sweet spot , one day we had 37 bass to doubles but never repeated this even to this day....exhilarating to say the least ..... mike i will try that method pal, if conditions allow thanks for the tip mike

I can understand the kelp problem, but if they are going into the weed its a good sign the Bass are not there.
Have you tried a sidewinder under a float, a method that works well in places like the Needles Step, a big float and sharp hook usually get the job done without any assistance.
Ive fished a few rips, the Outfalls, the Eddystone and Portland (where it put a 38ftr its side) all had good fish on the springs but the Belgium's trawled out the 'falls, and Portland has been hammered so hard the pros have moved up behind the Wight and completely spoilt it for us C&R anglers.
If you've ever fished the banks off Alderney you have to pass through 7-9knot rips that are unfishable with anything less than 4lb on a handline, but why bother with the Turbot so plentiful.
I wont mention quantities, but for size Ive seen 2 x 20s caught by a shore angler on a lure in a couple of hours, sadly not in the UK.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Mike J wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 01:51 -
stubbojo wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 19:32 -

I can understand the kelp problem, but if they are going into the weed its a good sign the Bass are not there.
Have you tried a sidewinder under a float, a method that works well in places like the Needles Step, a big float and sharp hook usually get the job done without any assistance.
Ive fished a few rips, the Outfalls, the Eddystone and Portland (where it put a 38ftr its side) all had good fish on the springs but the Belgium's trawled out the 'falls, and Portland has been hammered so hard the pros have moved up behind the Wight and completely spoilt it for us C&R anglers.
If you've ever fished the banks off Alderney you have to pass through 7-9knot rips that are unfishable with anything less than 4lb on a handline, but why bother with the Turbot so plentiful.
I wont mention quantities, but for size Ive seen 2 x 20s caught by a shore angler on a lure in a couple of hours, sadly not in the UK.

sorry mike what i mean is the bigger bass take you into the kelp and the reef , and we fish with 25lb flouro , theres a sweet run where there is only about 13ft ,but the bass are concentrated there , we catch most , but the bigger fish nearly always snagg you and you lose it , probably some of these fish run into double figures ......
Barry E
Roach
Roach

Post by Barry E »

Been a good few years since Alderney turbot were "plentiful"
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Barry E wrote: Sun Feb 28 2021 17:44 -
Been a good few years since Alderney turbot were "plentiful"

The last time I fished Alderney was 2015 on a four dayer.
With six we had over 80 and returned over half, best 20lbs, with enough Turbot next was the washing machine, then filled up over the Mulberry on the way back.
Good fishing, great crew, but called it a day for the rip-off Island that didnt want us there.