If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
MANO
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: In need of corkscrew stinger rig for soft plastic lure

Post by MANO »

alex fisher wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 13:18 -
Tony McTaggart wrote: Sat Feb 20 2021 23:09 -
Some guys in this country have been making wire harnesses long before svartzonker came along.....
And why pay absolute ridiculous prices that some shops charge for Ti ???
Seriously a BFT Ti stinger is £12
A bunch of tangled mess of swivels and split rings £8 give me peace lol
Yes couldnt agree more. I actually bought a svartzonker stinger rig and the corkscrew wasnt even attached to the rig and it was missing the mini swivel thing to attach it. It just sits in my tackle box now and just tangles with everything. Complete waste of money! For someone just getting in to pike lure fishing, like myself, it is a minefield of confusing terminology and the marketing that goes with it.

Its funny how the pig shads suggest you use a BFT tandem stinger rig which is £12! thats twice as much as the lure itself. All because there both owned by CWC.

Please help me!
I bought a 2 pack of the Svavtzonker stingers a few years ago and only one had the corkscrew and swivel attached :shrug:

It was part of a big order from Soder Sportsfiske in Sweden when they had a good sale on, so I didn't bother complaining.

If I'm honest, they only lasted a few fish before getting kinked up, so not great in terms of value for money.

I now make my own.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

I make my own. Ti wire and bought corkscrews - though I like Mike's idea of winding a paperclip round a woodscrew, I'll try that.

I've previously made my own stingers with solid stainless welding wire. I don't think this is as good;
- sometimes I think it affects the action
- I found they fell out more on the cast
- I think hooking isn't as good
- there's less flexibility in where the hooks go.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

JoeNickel wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 10:11 -
I make my own. Ti wire and bought corkscrews - though I like Mike's idea of winding a paperclip round a woodscrew, I'll try that.

I've previously made my own stingers with solid stainless welding wire. I don't think this is as good;
Trying to get some from tony mctaggart but no luck. Do you sell yours?
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

alex fisher wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 11:13 -

No, sorry
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

I used paperclips, but only once. When I opened the lure box later it was full of rust!
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 13:01 -

I used paperclips, but only once. When I opened the lure box later it was full of rust!
:afraid:
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Any pictures of the ones you made ???
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Alex I don't sell on here and think it would be pretty disrespectful to the sponsors of the forum....sorry
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

The more you screw in and out of soft plastics you will ruin them unfortunately.
Most guys I know and fish with just leave the shallow screw in now.
All depends on the size of the lure you casting whether it will kill the action and so many other variables imo.
I also use single strand Ti and multi strand Ti for certain shad types.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

I wouldn't use a paperclip either.....the trace and hook arrangement need something substantial to be attached to. Paper clips are generally monkey metal ....even the supposedly stainless ones.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Tony McTaggart wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 13:56 -

The hard rigs? No, I think I've chopped them all up to reuse the bits.

They were different to the ones you've made - the main length came off the initial swivel. So yours, with the extra joint, have more flexibility and probably avoid some of the issues I listed above. But making them will be slightly more faff, there's another joint that could fail, there's more stuff for the line to tangle round.... Using single strand Ti works for me :thumbs:
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

Tony McTaggart wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 13:58 -

Alex I don't sell on here and think it would be pretty disrespectful to the sponsors of the forum....sorry
I am sorry, although I feel somewhat mislead. Numerous people on this thread have said I should buy one from you and you did PM me saying that you sell them and included pictures. I replied to this via several PM's but you gave no response, hence my post on this thread.
Last edited by alex fisher on Tue Feb 23 2021 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

alex fisher wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 18:45 -

I am sorry, although I feel somewhat mislead. Numerous people on this thread have said I should buy one from you and you did PM me saying that you sell them and included pictures. I replied to this via several PM's but you gave no response, hence my post on this thread.

I would really like to be able to make them like you but I have a disability that means it would be very hard for me to do so.
I do sell them Alex but not on here and tbh your messages were all a little confusing as to what you wanted, like as I said in the topic anything can be made and ten times better than what some little Chinese man can make and fit for purpose.
I went out my way to send you pics of what can be done :roll:
As I said before SORRY
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

Tony McTaggart wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 20:39 -
alex fisher wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 18:45 -

I would really like to be able to make them like you but I have a disability that means it would be very hard for me to do so.
I do sell them Alex but not on here and tbh your messages were all a little confusing as to what you wanted, like as I said in the topic anything can be made and ten times better than what some little Chinese man can make and fit for purpose.
I went out my way to send you pics of what can be done :roll:
As I said before SORRY
No worries man. It’s hard trying to explain all this stuff when your new to the sport.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

JoeNickel wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 17:15 -
Tony McTaggart wrote: Mon Feb 22 2021 13:56 -

The hard rigs? No, I think I've chopped them all up to reuse the bits.

They were different to the ones you've made - the main length came off the initial swivel. So yours, with the extra joint, have more flexibility and probably avoid some of the issues I listed above. But making them will be slightly more faff, there's another joint that could fail, there's more stuff for the line to tangle round.... Using single strand Ti works for me :thumbs:
I'd bet my house they wouldn't fail lol
Titanium on the other hand can and will fail eventually and you won't see it coming unfortunately :pale:
But if its what the masses want I make it to the highest standards possible :thumbs:
But I draw the line at fluoro :laughs:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

I have never had a 7 strand Ti just " give up". But I don't expect them to last forever either.
I think with the single strand the loops " can" be pulled to a sharp V under pressure and that doesn't help.
Strangely I use a lot of stranded Ti on decent sized shads but on the 14cm Ricky the Roach I prefer a solid stainless rig as the stranded tends to get the front hooks over the clip on a good cast. It's only a short wire link so doesn't really effect the lure at all.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Just spotted a guy selling single strand Ti traces on Facebook and only making one run through the crimp......good luck with those not slipping under a bit of pressure.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

JohnCopeman wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 17:52 -
I have never had a 7 strand Ti just " give up". But I don't expect them to last forever either.
I think with the single strand the loops " can" be pulled to a sharp V under pressure and that doesn't help.
Strangely I use a lot of stranded Ti on decent sized shads but on the 14cm Ricky the Roach I prefer a solid stainless rig as the stranded tends to get the front hooks over the clip on a good cast. It's only a short wire link so doesn't really effect the lure at all.
Yip....crimp has something to grip to :thumbs:
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

JohnCopeman wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 17:54 -
Just spotted a guy selling single strand Ti traces on Facebook and only making one run through the crimp......good luck with those not slipping under a bit of pressure.
Seen it absolutely mental :mad:
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

I see the Titanium traces have strangely been redesigned Tony.....least he took it all in.
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

JohnCopeman wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 21:29 -
I see the Titanium traces have strangely been redesigned Tony.....least he took it all in.
Lol...Good on him for listening :laughs: Not many do.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Shows a lot of FB chancers trying a earn a quid selling stuff they know very little about.
Buy some wire crimp some traces, double my money.....
Lukemilnes
Perch
Perch

Post by Lukemilnes »

JohnCopeman wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 13:57 -
Shows a lot of FB chancers trying a earn a quid selling stuff they know very little about.
I thought that when i saw his original post! It still doesn't look great that crimp 😅

I probably go over the top on the stuff i sell with the lures, hence the prices, but I'd hate for someone to have something happen. Some people dont seem bothered tho
Lures, tackle and shiny things

www.eplures.com
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Lukemilnes wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 14:07 -
JohnCopeman wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 13:57 -
I thought that when i saw his original post! It still doesn't look great that crimp 😅

I probably go over the top on the stuff i sell with the lures, hence the prices, but I'd hate for someone to have something happen. Some people dont seem bothered tho
I've wasted £28 quid worth of Ti a few times messing with crimps lol.....test test test and just when you think you've got it test again :laughs:
Johnnyblaze
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Johnnyblaze »

Tony McTaggart wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 21:50 -
Stupid newbie question but....... With heavy single strand Ti do you use two single barrel crimps in line and then go back through both of them or is that overkill?

Thinking about making up some Ti traces for my heavy lure set up over the close season and I've never used crimps before, twisting only on my homemade traces and my heavy set up has an ancient (10+years) solid trace that is indestructible but I'd like a most discreet presentation
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Johnnyblaze wrote: Sat Feb 27 2021 17:26 -
Tony McTaggart wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 21:50 -
Stupid newbie question but....... With heavy single strand Ti do you use two single barrel crimps in line and then go back through both of them or is that overkill?

Thinking about making up some Ti traces for my heavy lure set up over the close season and I've never used crimps before, twisting only on my homemade traces and my heavy set up has an ancient (10+years) solid trace that is indestructible but I'd like a most discreet presentation
I use double barrel crimps buddy and go through 3 times :thumbs: