What is your favourite lure and why?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Re: What is your favourite lure and why?

Post by Pikerd74 »

davelumb wrote: Fri Feb 19 2021 16:55 -
Squirrely Burt.

Mind you, of the 26 (at last count) I have no two do the same thing! :dizzy:
I’ve got 10 burts all work slightly differently but my perch pattern one is absolutely deadly, I’m not sure why but it’s a pike magnet!
Why are they all different??
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Pikerd74 wrote: Sat Feb 20 2021 20:07 -
Squirrely Burt.

I’ve got 10 burts all work slightly differently but my perch pattern one is absolutely deadly, I’m not sure why but it’s a pike magnet!
Why are they all different??
Mine are different because I've weighted a lot of them differently. :wink:
andrew_nagel
Zander
Zander

Post by andrew_nagel »

Last edited by andrew_nagel on Sat Mar 06 2021 03:22, edited 1 time in total.
bluefoxx67
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by bluefoxx67 »

New to lure fishing but have taken fish on a Rapala jointed shad rap (fire Tiger) and Salmo slider (perch). The Salmo has a fantastic action
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

IMG_20201023_131612.jpg
Assuming pike flies can be included as lures, well in my book they are, then it would be the bottom perch imitation. I tied it myself and it was my first hand tied fly to catch me a double figure fish, and after just a few casts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Pinkie wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 09:57 -
IMG_20201023_131612.jpg
Assuming pike flies can be included as lures, well in my book they are, then it would be the bottom perch imitation. I tied it myself and it was my first hand tied fly to catch me a double figure fish, and after just a few casts.
That must have been a very satisfying and rewarding moment.

Will.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Will Smith wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 11:35 -
IMG_20201023_131612.jpg
That must have been a very satisfying and rewarding moment.

Will.
Sure was. I'd cast to the same area about a dozen or so times with a different fly, so I was very happy to see the perch imitation scoffed up fairly quickly. I've now made bigger versions and they also catch well.
John O Grady
Perch
Perch

Post by John O Grady »

andrew_nagel wrote: Sat Feb 20 2021 22:22 -
John O Grady wrote: Sat Feb 20 2021 19:52 -
Depends on the time of year and how I'm fishing but the 10cm Fatso Crank catches me more fish than any other lure in the spring when the fish are in the shallows. I have other lures that I've caught more big fish on, but in terms of numbers it is by far the lure that I have the most fun using.
It's a fantastic lure. Punches well above it's size.
Agreed Andrew, the best lure I've come across for catching pike in shallow water by a long way
JackHunter
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JackHunter »

John O Grady wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 19:29 -
Depends on the time of year and how I'm fishing but the 10cm Fatso Crank catches me more fish than any other lure in the spring when the fish are in the shallows. I have other lures that I've caught more big fish on, but in terms of numbers it is by far the lure that I have the most fun using.
Agreed Andrew, the best lure I've come across for catching pike in shallow water by a long way

I have purchased one off the back of these comments :thumbs:
Last edited by JackHunter on Tue Feb 23 2021 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
John O Grady
Perch
Perch

Post by John O Grady »

JackHunter wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 19:44 -

I have purchased one of the back of these comments :thumbs:
Put a couple of SSGs on the trace until the bait runs just under the surface on a slow retrieve :thumbs: I hope it works as well for you as it has for me!
JasonR
Roach
Roach

Post by JasonR »

One of my favourite go to lures is a copper Kuusamo Professor. Great flash in the water, classic lure.
JackHunter
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JackHunter »

John O Grady wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 19:49 -
JackHunter wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 19:44 -

I have purchased one of the back of these comments :thumbs:
Put a couple of SSGs on the trace until the bait runs just under the surface on a slow retrieve :thumbs: I hope it works as well for you as it has for me!
Nice one :thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Floating Salmo slider, the more beat up looking the better imo. it just catches fish for me. That could be slightly biased though as I use it like 95% of the time and I've got my own little rhythms and things going on with it. but saying that it's got a massive following
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

bluefoxx67 wrote: Sun Feb 21 2021 09:25 -
New to lure fishing but have taken fish on a Rapala jointed shad rap (fire Tiger) and Salmo slider (perch). The Salmo has a fantastic action
Good choices there. I think one thing Sliders really have going for them is the distance you can cast them. Definitely a lure to have on you when faced with a head wind. I concur with others, that the more battered they get, the more effective they seem to get.
Piking Plonker
ken brooks
Perch
Perch

Post by ken brooks »

I've got a slider that literally has no paint/foil left on it,
Just the white resin finish and it still catches fish.
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 17:45 -
Good choices there. I think one thing Sliders really have going for them is the distance you can cast them. Definitely a lure to have on you when faced with a head wind. I concur with others, that the more battered they get, the more effective they seem to get.
I bought a few of the really small sliders, I think the are 5cm! They are great for perch and so easy to work.
If I was only allowed to fish with one lure all season I would probably choose a slider.
:thumbs:
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

Andrew Croft wrote: Tue Feb 23 2021 23:12 -
Floating Salmo slider, the more beat up looking the better imo. it just catches fish for me. That could be slightly biased though as I use it like 95% of the time and I've got my own little rhythms and things going on with it. but saying that it's got a massive following
Any lure that has been produced for as long as the slider has got to be good, the Dutch lure anglers rate them highly too!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

To save a blank it would have to be a spinnerbait with a Kopyto trailer, cranked back fast just to provoke a response.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Pikerd74 wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 17:52 -
Mark Phillips wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 17:45 -
I bought a few of the really small sliders, I think the are 5cm! They are great for perch and so easy to work.
If I was only allowed to fish with one lure all season I would probably choose a slider.
:thumbs:
Those are deadly for perch, you're so right. I found the red tiger pattern to be the best in that respect. The only issue I have had with sliders and I have mentioned this before, is if you work them quickly, they can get ahead of the leader and foul it with a treble. You can of course tell as soon as that happens, but then it's a wasted cast. Interestingly, when it comes to the Fatso, I've not done so well with those.
Piking Plonker
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

Monts wrote: Wed Feb 24 2021 17:58 -
To save a blank it would have to be a spinnerbait with a Kopyto trailer, cranked back fast just to provoke a response.
I had not used a spinner bait for years Monts until I took my kids lure fishing for the first time! I clipped on some old jennifields spinner baits thinking that they are fairly weed and snag proof (cheap too)
They had a great session with 5-6 fish each, I have to admit to using them a lot more now. :grin:
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

Burnyburnside wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 12:12 -
alex fisher wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 11:53 -
I need some recommendations for good lures. What lure has caught you the most or biggest fish?
Hard one to answer I've got a few favourite lures depending on the situation, depth, weather ect ....
My top 5 to cover most situations would be :
A form of Glide bait - Robinson's ST or a hellhound
Spinner bait
Bulldawg
Rapala SSR (in goldfish pattern)
Fox replicant 23cm (chub pattern)
Theres lots of bulldawgs on ebay. Who makes the best?
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

IMG_20201023_131612.jpg
Those look really good. Im trying to make a pike fly lure myself out of wine cork and deer hair and a grub tail. like a miuras mouse
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 21:17 -
I need some recommendations for good lures. What lure has caught you the most or biggest fish?
Impossible to answer for me I'm afraid, as there's so many good lures, where do you start? You also have to factor in the angler - a number, of I am sure very competent lure anglers, have stated they can't catch on spinnerbaits or dawgs - two lures types that I've caught literally hundreds of pike on over the years. You'll see people listing what they use and have confidence in, that's the reality of it. It's easier to name lures that are w**k, like that 'orrible swimming turd, the Spro BBZ :afraid:
Who sells good bulldawgs?
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

Squirrely Burt.

Have you tried a miuras mouse lure?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

alex fisher wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 12:58 -
Squirrely Burt.

No, I gave up lure fishing before they were invented! :laughs:
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

davelumb wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 13:00 -
Squirrely Burt.

So you dont use the squirelly burt anymore? The miuras mouse is good because everything about it draws attention to it.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

alex fisher wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 13:08 -
Squirrely Burt.

So you dont use the squirelly burt anymore? The miuras mouse is good because everything about it draws attention to it.
When I chuck lures these days they're usually Squirrlies, spinnerbaits or Jackpots, or a twitching minnow/crank.

From what I've seen of the mouse thing is it's got a curly tail. Curly tails catch pike. Miuras Mice catch anglers... :stir:
Burnyburnside
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Burnyburnside »

alex fisher wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 12:51 -
Burnyburnside wrote: Thu Feb 18 2021 12:12 -
Hard one to answer I've got a few favourite lures depending on the situation, depth, weather ect ....
My top 5 to cover most situations would be :
A form of Glide bait - Robinson's ST or a hellhound
Spinner bait
Bulldawg
Rapala SSR (in goldfish pattern)
Fox replicant 23cm (chub pattern)
Theres lots of bulldawgs on ebay. Who makes the best?
I wouldn't go buying alot of expensive ones to start with mate if they've got curly tails they'll catch pike. I personally use the musky innovation ones I get them imported from USA. I've seen yours comments about the muiras mouse too, no doubt about it they catch pike but if your just starting out I wouldn't splash the cash on one.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

alex fisher wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 12:53 -
IMG_20201023_131612.jpg
Those look really good. Im trying to make a pike fly lure myself out of wine cork and deer hair and a grub tail. like a miuras mouse
Thanks. Good luck with the mouse!
alex fisher
Roach
Roach

Post by alex fisher »

davelumb wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 13:17 -
alex fisher wrote: Thu Feb 25 2021 13:08 -
Squirrely Burt.

When I chuck lures these days they're usually Squirrlies, spinnerbaits or Jackpots, or a twitching minnow/crank.

From what I've seen of the mouse thing is it's got a curly tail. Curly tails catch pike. Miuras Mice catch anglers... :stir:
I bought a miuras mouse so I could learn how to construct one myself. Ive almost perfected it now. The ones available to the public are produced by CWC and have a twin tail. The ones produced by Maurizio carini have single curly tail. Ive actually spoken to him and he says single curly tails are better for moving water like rivers and twin tails are better for still water like lakes. A recent video I watched comparing all the types of tails substantiates this, twin tails caught the most and biggest fish when fishing in a lake