Buster Jerk modification ?

If you use artificial lures to catch any predator this is the forum for you
royboy
Chub
Chub

Buster Jerk modification ?

Post by royboy »

I`d like to have a Buster without the rattle .

Before I go destroying a good lure , is there a handy way to either remove the ball bearings or to seal them up with glue .

Excellent lures but there could well a case for the silent but deadly option !

Rgds , Pat
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Re: Buster Jerk modification ?

Post by Steve Dennington »

They're quite precisely balanced, Pat. It doesn't take much of a ballast shift to alter the action of any glidebait, so it would be a gamble.

Lundgren's do genuine Buster blanks that show you where the bearings are, which might help if you do decide to try and get some epoxy in there.

https://www.lundgrensfiske.com/en/lure- ... malad.html
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

royboy wrote: Tue Jun 01 2021 21:40 -
I`d like to have a Buster without the rattle .

Before I go destroying a good lure , is there a handy way to either remove the ball bearings or to seal them up with glue .

Excellent lures but there could well a case for the silent but deadly option !

Rgds , Pat

I dislike rattles and have silenced most of my lures that had them.
To locate hold the lure between finger and thumb a rock gently, mark the location where you feel the most contact, repeat all over the lure until your certain where it is.
Deaden the rattle with any sticky glue that comes in a tube, copydex is v good. Use just enough to kill the rattle and close the hole with araldite.
Take care when drilling plastics, if the drill isnt sharp enough and you use a high rpm the air inside can heat up and crack the plastic or even cause it to explode.

Some high end Japanese made lures are supplied with an internal diagram of their construction to allow end user modifications.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Expanding foam.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mike J wrote: Wed Jun 02 2021 08:22 -
The fish seem to disagree, Mike.

The Busters are amazingly productive lures and it's hard to ignore the success of others with a rattle, like Burts. Even so, having silenced the internal rattle, there will still be a degree of noise from the lure in the form of clunking of hooks and split rings.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

That Lundgrens link won`t open on my pc . Showing as potential danger ¬

Found this link ...

https://www.willyssportfiske.se/p/beten ... -body.html.

Is it better to drill though the flank or from underneath ?
Don`t want to mess with the hook hanger ...

Rgds , Pat
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

royboy wrote: Wed Jun 02 2021 12:31 -
That Lundgrens link won`t open on my pc . Showing as potential danger ¬

Found this link ...

https://www.willyssportfiske.se/p/beten ... -body.html.

Is it better to drill though the flank or from underneath ?
Don`t want to mess with the hook hanger ...

Rgds , Pat

That's strange. No probs with Lundgren's here :shrug:

Flank would be better because you'll want whatever you put in to dry whilst the lure is sitting upright. If the bearings are fixed off-centre it's likely to have a negative effect on the action.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Thanks Steve , will give it a shot at the weekend .......
Oops , Dave & Mike also :smile:
Rgds , Pat
Catch 22
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Catch 22 »

I hear a lot of good things about Buster Jerks but is the larger Bandit any good?
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Strangely , I have never done well with either the 12cm Buster or the larger Big Bandit .......
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Wed Jun 02 2021 09:38 -
Expanding foam.

I have used it Dave.
Its horrendously expensive, once opened its all but impossible to reseal so you have to use it all and cleaning any excess off after it has set is a nightmare.
I tried moulding float bodies in an a beachbomb mould, once set I had to cut the two halves apart!
Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Jun 02 2021 10:32 -
[quote="Mike J" post_id=686139 time=<a href="tel:1622618565">1622618565</a> user_id=5312]I dislike rattles and have silenced most of my lures that had them.
[/quote]

Fish also seem to like silenced lures and did so long before lures had rattles when many of us started.
Unfortunately without a sidebyside trial there isn't any way of proving rattles actually improve catches, or that they could be a deterrent (which I suspect they are) for some fish,
I fish Busters btw.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Thu Jun 03 2021 08:29 -

I have used it Dave.
Its horrendously expensive, once opened its all but impossible to reseal so you have to use it all and cleaning any excess off after it has set is a nightmare.
I tried moulding float bodies in an a beachbomb mould, once set I had to cut the two halves apart!
Try Gorilla Glue and a drop or two of water. Once set trim excess with a sharp blade. Store the bottle upside down and it'll keep for ages.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Thu Jun 03 2021 08:38 -

I have used it Dave.
Try Gorilla Glue and a drop or two of water. Once set trim excess with a sharp blade. Store the bottle upside down and it'll keep for ages.

Aquasure - wrap the tube in clingfilm and store in the freezer. :thumbs:

Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

The Busters are amazingly productive lures and it's hard to ignore the success of others with a rattle, like Burts. Even so, having silenced the internal rattle, there will still be a degree of noise from the lure in the form of clunking of hooks and split rings.
Mike's comments :knife: The more I read, the more I think he makes it up as he goes along...

I add rattles to lures - never once would I remove the rattle, that's plain dumb! It does not put the pike off, quite the opposite. Silencing a Buster would be like taking a wheel off your car and then expecting it to perform better. One of the reasons that lure is so productive is down to the rattle. Take a Manns One Minus - totally out performs similar lures, why? It's rattles. I could go on...
Piking Plonker
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Catch 22 wrote: Wed Jun 02 2021 23:02 -
I hear a lot of good things about Buster Jerks but is the larger Bandit any good?
No, is the simple answer to that question.
Piking Plonker
Tony McTaggart
Perch
Perch

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Jun 03 2021 18:21 -

Mike's comments :knife: The more I read, the more I think he makes it up as he goes along...

I add rattles to lures - never once would I remove the rattle, that's plain dumb! It does not put the pike off, quite the opposite. Silencing a Buster would be like taking a wheel off your car and then expecting it to perform better. One of the reasons that lure is so productive is down to the rattle. Take a Manns One Minus - totally out performs similar lures, why? It's rattles. I could go on...
I just skip by his comments now as you're 100% correct :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mark Phillips wrote: Thu Jun 03 2021 18:21 -

IMG_1142.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

I put Ratles in most of my soft lures.
Last edited by Alan_dalton on Tue Jun 08 2021 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
Alan_dalton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Alan_dalton »

Expanding foam.

I have used it Dave.
[quote="Mike J" post_id=686139 time=<a href="tel:1622618565">1622618565</a> user_id=5312]I dislike rattles and have silenced most of my lures that had them.
Fish also seem to like silenced lures and did so long before lures had rattles when many of us started.
Unfortunately without a sidebyside trial there isn't any way of proving rattles actually improve catches, or that they could be a deterrent (which I suspect they are) for some fish,
I fish Busters btw.

[/quote]

I tried livbaits side by side with and without rattles on a weeks fishing. My rod caught significantly more with the rattle over the course of a week than his, and at the end of the trip I shared my findings with him :laughs: it has been named rattlegate as he thought I should have let him know sooner into the trip.....but I wanted to be sure! I stick then in lots of rubber lures aswell.
Last edited by Alan_dalton on Sun Jun 06 2021 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

I bought some in-line rattle props from ET .... These were multiple bearings with a prop wash ... Came to the conclusion the only thing it caught was me.
My confidence in rattles in a lure isn't supported by significant difference of captures, I'm more likely to use a silence lure nowadays.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Alan_dalton wrote: Sun Jun 06 2021 18:05 -
Expanding foam.

I have used it Dave.
I fish Busters btw.

I tried livbaits side by side with and without rattles on a weeks fishing. My rod caught significantly more with the rattle over the course of a week than his, and at the end of the trip I shared my findings with him :laughs: it has been named rattlegate as he thought I should have let him know sooner into the trip.....but I wanted to be sure! I stick then in lots of rubber lures aswell.
[/quote]

I’ve silenced many lures with rattles and caught, equally I’ve caught with the rattles present but when I’m fishing for highly pressured fish do I really want a rattle shouting the odds ? Maybe the improvement you experienced in the catch rate of live baits with rattles is down to the fish having just not yet encountered anything like it, so you had bonanza time ! It would take considerable time and trial and error to make any hard and fast rules but in the short term yes you can see why they would and should work well. Turn that around and they could equally work against you. Unfortunately no hard and fast rules but that’s all part of the fun.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun Jun 06 2021 19:56 -
I’ve silenced many lures with rattles and caught, equally I’ve caught with the rattles present but when I’m fishing for highly pressured fish do I really want a rattle shouting the odds ? Maybe the improvement you experienced in the catch rate of live baits with rattles is down to the fish having just not yet encountered anything like it, so you had bonanza time ! It would take considerable time and trial and error to make any hard and fast rules but in the short term yes you can see why they would and should work well. Turn that around and they could equally work against you. Unfortunately no hard and fast rules but that’s all part of the fun.
Yep, it's always tough to decide whether catches (or blank sessions) were because of, or in spite of, whatever changes were made.

Lures with loud rattles and/or an exaggerated action are certainly counter intuitive when targeting pressured fish, yet I know of one water where some very big pike have fallen to rattling crankbaits and it gets very heavily lure fished. I normally fish more subtle soft baits there on the basis that the big fish should have seen too many loud/wildly wiggling lures to be likely to fall for them, but it would seem that my theory is somewhat flawed :neutral:
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Alan_dalton wrote: Sun Jun 06 2021 18:01 -

I put Ratles in most of my software lures.
I put rattles in most of my soft plastics for pike - a good place to 'shove one in' is the tail, where it will get maximum shake, rattle and roll. I bought a couple of hundred small glass rattles ages ago - they have three small metal beads in them. I checked my stats and a few instances aside, where I can't recall if a rattle was present, 72% of my pike over 20lb on lures have been to lures with rattles and that's not because all my lures have rattles. Trolling, I add them behind the diving lip - massive edge and go riddle me this - the year before I got on, two of my mates fishing Blithfield, both using the same lures, same colour, even trolled the same distance from the boat. One catches, I think it was five 30's in his 8 days, best was 38 something. The other fella had a 20 plus change. The difference? Yep. He had rattles added to his super shad raps.Yeah, sure lures without rattles catch plenty of pike and there will be occasions where that could be the way to go, but lures with them, in most situations, catch more. I think anyone who discounts that, in all likely hood, is probably in line for a Simple Jack award (Google Tropic Thunder for explanation).
Piking Plonker
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

I’m guna get me some of them glass rattles, makes me wonder just what I’ve been fu***** about at for the last 40 years :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Tue Jun 08 2021 20:25 -
I’m guna get me some of them glass rattles, makes me wonder just what I’ve been fu***** about at for the last 40 years :thumbs:

You can make your own small rattles from an old starlight tube and a single lead shot.

Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Thanks Mike but it seems I need glass ones, Reuben’s that go to 60 at the ready !! Watch this space :narfuk:
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I’m firmly in the, I’m not convinced rattles make any difference, camp.
And I’m fairly sure I’ve never caught a 20 using a lure or live bait with a rattle.
Might have to give it a go. And see if it improves my catch results.