Sick of eels!

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sick of eels!

Post by davelumb »

After kicking off with a three it's been eel after eel, all less than two pounds and most much less. Three more last night and loads of takes. Some pulling the rod round like barbel bites and one dragging the rod across the ground when it was the last one to be put away. All missed... :dizzy:

I wondered if giving the worms a rest might deter the bootlaces but it didn't, and over the years worms have produced enough of my bigger eels to suggest they're worth sticking with.

Think I'll swap the eel rigs over to boilies and carp fish. That should guarantee a six pound eel! :laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Re: Sick of eels!

Post by stubbojo »

davelumb wrote: Wed Jul 14 2021 16:42 -
After kicking off with a three it's been eel after eel, all less than two pounds and most much less. Three more last night and loads of takes. Some pulling the rod round like barbel bites and one dragging the rod across the ground when it was the last one to be put away. All missed... :dizzy:

I wondered if giving the worms a rest might deter the bootlaces but it didn't, and over the years worms have produced enough of my bigger eels to suggest they're worth sticking with.

Think I'll swap the eel rigs over to boilies and carp fish. That should guarantee a six pound eel! :laughs:
only had 2 decent eels in about 6 sessions up to now , but i have been fishing rudd heads and the occasional worm rig , dont think ive had one on worm yet ....
been out today on a river which i have never fished before , on a whisper of good perch and eels
loads of perch only to about 10oz roach, bream ,dace , gudgeon ......
not a sniff on the worm rod .......which was strange...
good fun on the old quiver tip rod though......
think the rudd baits will or should attract the bigger eels going on the size witch might put the bootlaces off swallowing ....they probably will still nibble them
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

My biggest (4lb 2oz) was on a boilie. I have occasionally set out to catch a bigger one by design, but am yet to do so.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Wed Jul 14 2021 19:17 -

My biggest (4lb 2oz) was on a boilie. I have occasionally set out to catch a bigger one by design, but am yet to do so.
My biggest was also on boilie intended for carp. :sad:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Get a lump of luncheon meat on
Trent eels love it after dark
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Wed Jul 14 2021 19:56 -
It was bootlace eels that made using luncheon meat on the Ribble a waste of time for barbel on the Ribble! :laughs:

If I try it on the pit it will probably catch carp. :laughs:
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

My best two eels came on mackerel whilst piking, get a lot of dropped runs on one venue which I put down to eels( same venue my pb came from). I still hate the bloody things🤣
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

read somewhere liver is a good eel bait...
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Was fishing for cats a few weeks back
The bloke opposite had three Eels on luncheon meat
Never seen any come out before.
Regards
Tom
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

cant buy an eel at the moment
been on the river twice this week , normally cant go wrong for eels , not a sniff
plenty of perch , roach , bream, gudgeon , dace , all to light feeder tactics ......buy about 2.00pm 30c....... phew packed up to hot for fishing ...... :hit:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

3 eels this evening...all about 2lb
On maggot feeder
I was after chub :laughs:
Like Ive said before the easiest way to catch eels is dont target them....works every time :laughs:
Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas »

I found water thats full of boots i keep away from. If i fish a new eel water and have 5 blanks or more in a row then im happy as these kind of waters are could throw up big eels
Richard.
Chub
Chub

Post by Richard. »

They are one of afew reasons I crush the barbs on my barbel hooks now (still like the little bump there over a completely barbless hook)
I don’t get many but two or 3 good knocks on the rod top and the bloody things have swallowed me size 10’s right down
At least de barbed I can extract them quickly with a large discorger.
Everything else gets nicely nicked in the lip on a hair rig but bloody eels they ain’t fussed. They have it down in split seconds.
Used to get some real beauty’s up north on a night on the river on worm.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I had a 4lb eel at the weekend on a method feeder with a 6mm hair rigged pellet, it gave the weirdest, twitchy indication before ripping the rod tip round and fighting way harder than any of the carp I caught😂
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

went out yesterday on a res ......lobworm on both rods , loads of bites and screamers , but all perch to about a 1lb
probably had over twenty fish in 3 hours , never got the chance to fish my float rod , due to the ledger rod action ...
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

My biggest eel so far is 41/2lb. At the time of capture I was fishing with two rods, and just as I netted the big eel after a lengthy battle, I had run on the other rod. Anyways, I managed to keep the big one in the landing net as I played and landed the smaller one of about 3lb, all in the dark. Needless to say, nowadays I only use the one rod when eel fishing! :laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

went out again today to eel fish , no eels just pike on the rudd heads had to knock it on the head with the rudd heads , just fished worm baits not a sniff on them ..
got the spinning rod out for perch , had to knock that on the head as the pike where nailing the perch caught on the spinners , cant win today....very warm today so didn't want any pike casualties..........on certain venues the pike are getting very active ,with plenty of follows chasing roach and perch and my deads intended for eels ......
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

been out today , on a local water to target perch , caught some small perch and fished these on a simple running rig 15lb flouro size 8 hooks and caught perch after perch steadily up to about half a pound .....which was good fun , but then i thought i would try a bigger live bait a freshly caught roach about 6 inches long ....off it went within 20 seconds a perch about 1 and a half pounds , so stuck with the bigger roach and managed another 3 about a pound each , just shows a bigger bait temps the bigger fish , but what amazed me in the speed they took the bait
as if they were queuing up for the bigger roach to appear , when a smaller bait was presented i would wait maybe half an hour per bite
still waiting for a big perch over 3lb that supposedly live in this lake .....
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

davelumb wrote: Wed Jul 14 2021 20:28 -
It was bootlace eels that made using luncheon meat on the Ribble a waste of time for barbel on the Ribble! :laughs:

Fishing with a mate on a pike free water a few weeks back, we were livebaiting for Perch, Clive had a run on a legered livey and had an eel of 6.8
Last week on the river feeder fishing for Roach, had the tip pull round, this is no roach I thought more like a pike thats taken the roach, turned out to be another eel that had taken the roach right down but regurgatated it at the net, the eel looked to be of a similar size to clives.
in over 60yrs of fishing I have never seen that before...
Try livebaits Dave :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

charleston16 wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 10:10 -

Fishing with a mate on a pike free water a few weeks back, we were livebaiting for Perch, Clive had a run on a legered livey and had an eel of 6.8
Last week on the river feeder fishing for Roach, had the tip pull round, this is no roach I thought more like a pike thats taken the roach, turned out to be another eel that had taken the roach right down but regurgatated it at the net, the eel looked to be of a similar size to clives.
I used to use lives one one water, but they, and freshwater deads, are banned on the one I'm currently fishing. :sad:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i like live bait for eels , as there is a chance of a good perch too
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 21:28 -

i like live bait for eels , as there is a chance of a good perch too
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Ray Brown.
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

davelumb wrote: Thu Sep 02 2021 10:20 -

I used to use lives one one water, but they, and freshwater deads, are banned on the one I'm currently fishing. :sad:
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Ray Brown.
Solihullangler
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Solihullangler »

If your catching lots of small eels then I’d go some where else . The water is (booted) as I was told if it’s like this then it’s going to be long sleepless nights and lots of missed runs.
The best eel waters are the ones where people tell you no one has ever caught one .. or as one bright spark once told me ‘we haven’t stocked any eels in here’

:gulp: