Bird leg rings

If you're a huntsman or have a pet that you're proud of post about it in here
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Bird leg rings

Post by John Milford »

I found this aluminium ring on my decking today.

GB85 X61917. It doesn't look like a wild bird ring.

I think it may have fallen off a racing pigeon? :shrug:

IMG_20210602_163251~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Bird leg rings

Post by davelumb »

John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

It's a mystery.

There wasn't so much as a feather nearby.

There's a guy with a loft a few doors down from me, who's birds circle the field my garden backs on to.

I suspect it's off one of his, but I won't be knocking on his door to find out. He's an odd, scowly character who always wears camo and never speaks to anybody.

(It wouldn't surprise me if there's a white tent in his back garden one day, with people in blue plastic overalls excavating his patio!). :eek: :laughs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

_7511930.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Freeeeeedom! :thumbs:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

John Milford wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 02 2021 20:22 -
It's a mystery.

There's a guy with a loft a few doors down from me, who's birds circle the field my garden backs on to.

I suspect it's off one of his, but I won't be knocking on his door to find out. He's an odd, scowly character who always wears camo and never speaks to anybody.

(It wouldn't surprise me if there's a white tent in his back garden one day, with people in blue plastic overalls excavating his patio!). :eek: :laughs:
That's reverse psychology for you .. shifting the focus onto someone to divert attention from the real perpetrator.. we going to see the milfs collar felt I wonder ๐Ÿ˜‚
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

It is a ring from a racing pigeon, but a very old bird as the 85 denotes the year it was bred. More than likely it was kept as a 'stock bird' & used for breeding after it's racing years were over & for that reason I doubt the bird was a Hawk victim as they are not let out to fly.
Quite possible it has died either by natural causes or at the hands of its owner when it was no longer of use ... these pigeon fanciers can be quite matter-of-fact when there's too many mouths to feed. Carcases are often just dumped near the loft, given to ferret owners as food or burned.
How the ring got there is merely a guess .... Magpie or Crow.... or even rats? Have a look round your decking John as rats love living under them.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Stewlaws wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 03 2021 23:59 -
It's a mystery.

That's reverse psychology for you .. shifting the focus onto someone to divert attention from the real perpetrator.. we going to see the milfs collar felt I wonder ๐Ÿ˜‚
Darn, you've rumbled me Stew! I thought it was an ingenious ruse, burying the bodies under his patio, covered in pigeon feathers! :knife: :joker:
morph
Perch
Perch

Post by morph »

jonsykes wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 04 2021 08:32 -
It is a ring from a racing pigeon, but a very old bird as the 85 denotes the year it was bred. More than likely it was kept as a 'stock bird' & used for breeding after it's racing years were over & for that reason I doubt the bird was a Hawk victim as they are not let out to fly.
Quite possible it has died either by natural causes or at the hands of its owner when it was no longer of use ... these pigeon fanciers can be quite matter-of-fact when there's too many mouths to feed. Carcases are often just dumped near the loft, given to ferret owners as food or burned.
How the ring got there is merely a guess .... Magpie or Crow.... or even rats? Have a look round your decking John as rats love living under them.
A 35 year old pigeon wouldn't be used for breeding. Or even kept for any reason. Most pigeon fanciers ses a live bird as an on going cost. Be lucky if a pigeon even makes it past 20, even in captivity.
Probably a pigeon buried years ago and the ring has been picked up by a magpie or such and dropped as it flew over
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Yes, that's what I was inferring. 25 years is about the limit.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

He's an odd, scowly character who always wears camo and never speaks to anybody.

You've just described at least half of the members of this forum :laughs:
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

use a catapult to fire it onto his yard when he's flying the pigeons, that'll confuse the fucker!!
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw