Chillie paste.

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Chillie paste.

Post by Mike J »

Hi Matt,
I dont have a greenhouse so all mine are grown in the garden, seeing them trimmed into mini bushes and kept through the winter encouraged me to have a go dispite being told by my neighbour they wouldn't survive.
Here is a second winter plant that is still producing flowers and fruit while inside on my windowsill.
IMG_2305.JPG

This is the same variety (I think) that is producing side stems and a flower bud to hopefully form a bush, its a bit ragged because in the autunm I stood it next to fence that had white mould and the mould attacked the plant and Ive had to prune off several twigs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mike J on Sat Jan 30 2021 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jan 29 2021 17:33 -
Hi Matt,
I dont have a greenhouse so all mine are grown in the garden, seeing them trimmed into mini bushes and kept through the winter encouraged me to have a go dispite being told by my neighbour they wouldn't survive.
Here is a second winter plant that is still producing flowers and fruit while inside on my windowsill.
IMG_2305.JPG

This is the same variety (I think) that is producing side stems and a flower bud to hopefully form a bush, its a bit ragged because in the autunm I stood it next to fence that had white mould and the mould attcked the plant and Ive had to prune off several twigs.
Nice one,I'd heard plants can be kept going through the winter but I've never tried it myself.I might have a go with the indoor variety ones I bought this time.I bought my seeds from South Devon chillie farm online,first time I've used them,plenty of varieties to choose from at decent prices and quick service if you are looking for seeds.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Fri Jan 29 2021 17:54 -
Hi Matt,
IMG_2305.JPG

This is the same variety (I think) that is producing side stems and a flower bud to hopefully form a bush, its a bit ragged because in the autunm I stood it next to fence that had white mould and the mould attcked the plant and Ive had to prune off several twigs.
Nice one,I'd heard plants can be kept going through the winter but I've never tried it myself.I might have a go with the indoor variety ones I bought this time.I bought my seeds from South Devon chillie farm online,first time I've used them,plenty of varieties to choose from at decent prices and quick service if you are looking for seeds.
Apart from those pictured above Ive also got 7 other plants overwintering indoors which have now began growing again after just a couple of months of domancy
I cannot name the varieties as I just grow from seeds collected from the chillies I like, but the one with fruits on is probably the Biquinho Ive seen kept as bush plants.
PM if your interested in seeds.

🌶

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Sat Jan 30 2021 10:31 -
Hi Matt,
IMG_2305.JPG

Apart from those pictured above Ive also got 7 other plants overwintering indoors which have now began growing again after just a couple of months of domancy
I cannot name the varieties as I just grow from seeds collected from the chillies I like, but the one with fruits on is probably the Biquinho Ive seen kept as bush plants.

🌶

Thanks Mike,I've got enough seeds to keep me going for a while ,which reminds me I need to get my a**e in gear and think about starting them off on the windowsill.From what I've read the hottest varieties need starting off as early as possible to get the best out of them.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Sat Jan 30 2021 11:37 -
Mike J wrote: Sat Jan 30 2021 10:31 -
Hi Matt,
IMG_2305.JPG

🌶

Thanks Mike,I've got enough seeds to keep me going for a while ,which reminds me I need to get my a**e in gear and think about starting them off on the windowsill.From what I've read the hottest varieties need starting off as early as possible to get the best out of them.
Why not try monthly plantings and test the theory?
I like heat and flavour, I have some dried chillies that have been in a jar for 11years, when the lid is lifted the flavour (vapour) is amazing but then the heat kicks in, eyes water, throat tightens and I have to turn away!! Must try and grow a few.

🌶
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Picked the first lot of ripe chillies from the greenhouse today and made a start on the sauce.will be adding to it over the next few weeks as more ripen.Need plenty of sun! Used scotch bonnet,ring of fire and razzmatazz chillie varieties.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Very nice.
Do you grow from your own seed?
Ive tried to get bonnets growing outside with my others but they have all failed.

Coincidently I also picked yesterday, just 21 bullets and a big fattie.
For whatever reason mine are not doing so well this year???
Ive a dozen or so seeds at the 3" stage so I should be okay if the mother plants die off.

The St Kitts Jutt sauce recipe is still brilliant btw.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Mon Sep 06 2021 08:53 -
Very nice.
Ive tried to get bonnets growing outside with my others but they have all failed.

Ive a dozen or so seeds at the 3" stage so I should be okay if the mother plants die off.

Bought my seeds from south Devon chillie farm online but I will probably dry some seeds from a few of this years and try them alongside the packet ones next year.
The ring of fire long ones seemed to get off to the quickest start and have done well so far. Habaneros I tried haven’t done well,plants are weaker looking even though all varieties I planted at same time using same compost.
The razzmatazz ones I think are similar to the bullets,high yield and the chillies face upwards if you know what I mean.
I think the bonnets needs the heat of a greenhouse to do well,they seem to need more heat to ripen than the others.The weeks of cloudy days this summer probably hasn’t helped.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Mon Sep 06 2021 14:50 -
Very nice.

Bought my seeds from south Devon chillie farm online but I will probably dry some seeds from a few of this years and try them alongside the packet ones next year.
The ring of fire long ones seemed to get off to the quickest start and have done well so far. Habaneros I tried haven’t done well,plants are weaker looking even though all varieties I planted at same time using same compost.
The razzmatazz ones I think are similar to the bullets,high yield and the chillies face upwards if you know what I mean.
I think the bonnets needs the heat of a greenhouse to do well,they seem to need more heat to ripen than the others.The weeks of cloudy days this summer probably hasn’t helped.

Thanks for that.
I planted seeds saved from last seasons crop using John Innes #1 and they never really got going.
Next planting was some fresh seeds from my first picking again in JI1 then a single pot using topsoil from the flower border, yes you've guessed it, the basic soil got the seeds going quicker!
As you say its the damned weather we've had this year, but mine have grown well since the sun has been shinning, now I just want them to get big enough to go through the winter on the window sill.

My first pot of paste mixed with nothing but cheap sherry is keeping superbly. With this years picking Im going to use rum, £11 from Sains. if you like rum it isnt bad for a quiet nip.

🌶
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Tue Sep 07 2021 08:51 -
Mattjb wrote: Mon Sep 06 2021 14:50 -
Very nice.

Thanks for that.
I planted seeds saved from last seasons crop using John Innes #1 and they never really got going.
Next planting was some fresh seeds from my first picking again in JI1 then a single pot using topsoil from the flower border, yes you've guessed it, the basic soil got the seeds going quicker!
As you say its the damned weather we've had this year, but mine have grown well since the sun has been shinning, now I just want them to get big enough to go through the winter on the window sill.

My first pot of paste mixed with nothing but cheap sherry is keeping superbly. With this years picking Im going to use rum, £11 from Sains. if you like rum it isnt bad for a quiet nip.

🌶
How big a pot do you grow yours in? I start mine off in little ones and then plant them in fairly big,deep pots as soon as they are able to be replanted.I use the pots that they have the cut flowers in at supermarkets,my bro in law got them for me. I don’t know if it’s the depth of the pot that helps?
Compost wise I fill it about half full with compost from our heap of kitchen,chicken coop,guinea pig waste then top up with cheap b and q compost.
The heat of the last couple of days is ripening them fast but the long ring of fire ones seem to ripen much faster than the scotch bonnets and the razzmatazz chillies. Maybe it’s to do with the shape?
I’m using Sainsbury’s Sherry for mine this year and will see how it goes.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Very nice.

Are the ones you are picking from the ones you overwintered ? Maybe they aren’t as good the second year if you are?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Tue Sep 07 2021 21:40 -
Very nice.

Are the ones you are picking from the ones you overwintered ? Maybe they aren’t as good the second year if you are?
Yes the chillies Im presently picking are from the three plants I overwintered. I repoted them in the same 6" pots but changed apx 60% of the soil for new.
What I did do, which I now think was a mistake was trim them when the new growth took off in the spring. What Im trying to recreate is the small tight football sized plants Ive seen in Iberia.
The plant I trimmed twice hasn't produced many fruits, the plant trimmed once has produced around 25 so far. The big plant that grew to 2ft+ in its first year but I trimmed that down to make ot easier to manage indoors has only produced 3 so far but they were really big and hot.
The new seedlings have grown 2"+ over the past three days after being left in full sun (46C was our top temp yest).
Clearly a greenhouse is the way to go but I will persist without for another season or two.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Wed Sep 08 2021 05:10 -
Mattjb wrote: Tue Sep 07 2021 21:40 -
Very nice.

Yes the chillies Im presently picking are from the three plants I overwintered. I repoted them in the same 6" pots but changed apx 60% of the soil for new.
What I did do, which I now think was a mistake was trim them when the new growth took off in the spring. What Im trying to recreate is the small tight football sized plants Ive seen in Iberia.
The plant I trimmed twice hasn't produced many fruits, the plant trimmed once has produced around 25 so far. The big plant that grew to 2ft+ in its first year but I trimmed that down to make ot easier to manage indoors has only produced 3 so far but they were really big and hot.
The new seedlings have grown 2"+ over the past three days after being left in full sun (46C was our top temp yest).
Clearly a greenhouse is the way to go but I will persist without for another season or two.

Maybe the Iberian ones are a different variety? The razzmatazz variety I’ve got growing are a more compact plant and suitable for indoors apparently. I’ll take a couple of pics later when I go up to do the watering
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Razzmatazz variety is circled in blue. The scotch bonnets and ring of fire in front and behind were planted same time and in same size pots and compost.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

That could very well be the species.
My problem is Ive only ever been told the local name which is Biquinho, which means small beak, which is what your razz fruits look like.

The Iberian Biquinhos are used to produce Piri Piri sauce which is damned hot IMO, how hot are yours? Could you bite one in half and chew it for instance?

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Thu Sep 09 2021 09:54 -
My problem is Ive only ever been told the local name which is Biquinho, which means small beak, which is what your razz fruits look like.

The Iberian Biquinhos are used to produce Piri Piri sauce which is damned hot IMO, how hot are yours? Could you bite one in half and chew it for instance?
They are listed as medium hot,maybe if any are ripe enough I’ll do the bite and chew test later and report back!
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

I did the bite one in half and chew test on one that was not quite fully ripe, more of an orangey red than proper red. First half I thought this is pretty hot but not too bad so ate the other half with the seeds in. That was pretty hot, certainly hit the back of the throat! If you want some seeds to try pm your address Mike and I’ll dry some and pop them in an envelope next time I pick a batch.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Fri Sep 10 2021 19:14 -

I did the bite one in half and chew test on one that was not quite fully ripe, more of an orangey red than proper red. First half I thought this is pretty hot but not too bad so ate the other half with the seeds in. That was pretty hot, certainly hit the back of the throat! If you want some seeds to try pm your address Mike and I’ll dry some and pop them in an envelope next time I pick a batch.

Thanks for the offer Matt :handshake:
I may take you up on it if I cannot source a plant from down South.

🌶

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Sat Sep 11 2021 08:22 -
Mattjb wrote: Fri Sep 10 2021 19:14 -

Thanks for the offer Matt :handshake:
I may take you up on it if I cannot source a plant from down South.

No problem Mike,happy to send some,just let me know whenever 👍
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Re: WARNING!

Post by Mattjb »

jack wrote: Sat Sep 19 2020 09:12 -
For all of you that have made the sherry and chilli sauce. Decided to try mine on some scrambled eggs for breakfast, didn't expect it to go off like a bottle fizzy pop! First time you open yours do it outside or over the kitchen sink!!
Mines doing the same, must be gas produced as the chillies break down?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Tue Sep 28 2021 13:02 -
For all of you that have made the sherry and chilli sauce. Decided to try mine on some scrambled eggs for breakfast, didn't expect it to go off like a bottle fizzy pop! First time you open yours do it outside or over the kitchen sink!!

I have never had mine pop at all.
I use old honey jars so perhaps a screw lid allows any pressure to escape slower? I use a small jar for lesser amounts then add to the original jar when space permits and just give it a stir.

Success! Two weeks ago I repotted a 2nd summer plant and now its gone mad, flowering and fruiting with a new shoot already higher than everything else.

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Wed Sep 29 2021 09:25 -

I use old honey jars so perhaps a screw lid allows any pressure to escape slower? I use a small jar for lesser amounts then add to the original jar when space permits and just give it a stir.

Success! Two weeks ago I repotted a 2nd summer plant and now its gone mad, flowering and fruiting with a new shoot already higher than everything else.

Seems to have calmed down again now. I open the lid and reseal before shaking every day now.
I've also done another batch in a blender but put too much sherry in,will have to strain it through a muslin at some point.Still got plenty in the greenhouse.
Well done on the repotting sucess!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Wed Sep 29 2021 19:10 -
Mike J wrote: Wed Sep 29 2021 09:25 -

Seems to have calmed down again now. I open the lid and reseal before shaking every day now.
I've also done another batch in a blender but put too much sherry in,will have to strain it through a muslin at some point.Still got plenty in the greenhouse.
Well done on the repotting sucess!

Too much sherry wont harm it, leave as is and just add more chillies when they ripen.
Mine has broken down into a pulp but I will try and force in this years crop plus some bonnets when I see any going cheap.
Put some to a fish curry last night, good job I had more coconut cream to add as it was a little hot :devil:

🌶🌶🌶

juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

All the time I was making it I never had a problem with any pressure build up. Initially I would open the bottle probably twice a week to top up the sherry as the chillies broke down then, once all the liquid was in, they were just left until required. A shake every couple of weeks was all that was needed!
Bob
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

juttle wrote: Thu Sep 30 2021 19:41 -
All the time I was making it I never had a problem with any pressure build up. Initially I would open the bottle probably twice a week to top up the sherry as the chillies broke down then, once all the liquid was in, they were just left until required. A shake every couple of weeks was all that was needed!
With the chopped chillies in a bottle how long roughly does it take for the chillies to break down and the sauce to mature?
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Mattjb wrote: Thu Sep 30 2021 20:05 -
With the chopped chillies in a bottle how long roughly does it take for the chillies to break down and the sauce to mature?
There’s a few variables involved, temp, light, etc, but I used to have all the sherry back in the bottle in about 3 to 5 weeks. The maturation process goes on for as long as you can resist using it! The guy who told me about it in the first place mentioned that his grandmother had bottles of the stuff going back 50 years! The sauce will be hot and fierce within a couple of months but will become more refined, if that’s the right word, the longer you leave it. The best way to describe it is that after 2 or 3 months it’s as hot as the chillies used to make it, but that’s it, just heat and no flavour - a bit like most of the chillies that are commercially available. Given time and a little care it will get hotter but will take on a flavour of its own, a bit like comparing a birdseye or naga chilli with a good quality habanero, one is just heat and no taste while the habanero has a more subtle heat and a beautiful fruity taste to go with it!
Bob
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

juttle wrote: Fri Oct 01 2021 05:36 -
There’s a few variables involved, temp, light, etc, but I used to have all the sherry back in the bottle in about 3 to 5 weeks. The maturation process goes on for as long as you can resist using it! The guy who told me about it in the first place mentioned that his grandmother had bottles of the stuff going back 50 years! The sauce will be hot and fierce within a couple of months but will become more refined, if that’s the right word, the longer you leave it. The best way to describe it is that after 2 or 3 months it’s as hot as the chillies used to make it, but that’s it, just heat and no flavour - a bit like most of the chillies that are commercially available. Given time and a little care it will get hotter but will take on a flavour of its own, a bit like comparing a birdseye or naga chilli with a good quality habanero, one is just heat and no taste while the habanero has a more subtle heat and a beautiful fruity taste to go with it!
Cheers for that, I will resist for as long as possible!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

What you have said is exactly what my Jamaican Chef told me when I collected my Jerk Chicken. He makes his own sauce and said it is not really mature until it achieves a level of sweetness. But he wouldn't tell me how he makes his but its brilliant!
His business is doing so well he only opens 13.00-21.00 Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays and closes as soon as he runs out of chicken, which was 16.20 yesterday!

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Mike J wrote: Fri Oct 01 2021 11:21 -

What you have said is exactly what my Jamaican Chef told me when I collected my Jerk Chicken. He makes his own sauce and said it is not really mature until it achieves a level of sweetness. But he wouldn't tell me how he makes his but its brilliant!
His business is doing so well he only opens 13.00-21.00 Thursdays, Friday and Saturdays and closes as soon as he runs out of chicken, which was 16.20 yesterday!

Jerk chicken is one thing I've never tried but keep meaning to.There are a few Jamaican places around Bristol where they have the old half an oil drum smoking away on the pavement outside the shop. I must give it a try sometime soon!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mattjb wrote: Fri Oct 01 2021 22:04 -
Mike J wrote: Fri Oct 01 2021 11:21 -

Jerk chicken is one thing I've never tried but keep meaning to.There are a few Jamaican places around Bristol where they have the old half an oil drum smoking away on the pavement outside the shop. I must give it a try sometime soon!

What :afraid: and you've passed them bye. Man I can assure you once you've tried it you'll want more and more, those guys know more about flavour than any fancy chef alive. And if they do it get dose of rice and peas, its rice and red beans cooked in coconut milk with bonnets, so good I even have it for breakfast.

My man uses a rub before grilling with his special chillie spread all over only when its cooked, he told me it needs to go on the hot meat but not get burnt.
I can't resist street food, wherever Ive been in the World Ive eaten it and never once had an stomach upset.