Simms Bulkley Goretex Jacket

Muskie
Chub
Chub

Simms Bulkley Goretex Jacket

Post by Muskie »

Had this jacket for 3 years now and it is of excellent design and build quality. It is lined with primaloft insulation. Has a good hood, 2 handwarmer pockets and 2 other pockets and it is toasty warm and waterproof making it a good all round winter jacket. It gets 10/10 from me.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Simms Bulkley Goretex Jacket

Post by Mike J »

Is your the £350 or the £259 version?

Ive been thinking of getting a new jacket, presently considering a custom made from Halkon Hunt.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

I bought my Simms Bulkley jacket from Sportfish/Farlows when it was on offer. I paid £230 at the time.

There were two editions of the jacket, but the only difference was minor. I think mine was the first version.

Either jacket is excellent. I cannot rate mine highly enough. Keeps me warm and dry in some pretty awful wet and cold weather the last 3 winters. It has a good cut and length and handwarmer pockets too.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Muskie wrote: Sat Oct 30 2021 19:50 -
I bought my Simms Bulkley jacket from Sportfish/Farlows when it was on offer. I paid £230 at the time.

There were two editions of the jacket, but the only difference was minor. I think mine was the first version.

Either jacket is excellent. I cannot rate mine highly enough. Keeps me warm and dry in some pretty awful wet and cold weather the last 3 winters. It has a good cut and length and handwarmer pockets too.

Many thanks.
Do you know where it is made and what are the sizings like compared to those in UK?

Now going online looking for bargain prices.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Simms are a USA company, but my jacket states it was made in China.

Build quality is very good. Mine has had heavy use in 3 years and the jacket has had no issues at all.

I have washed it twice in the washing machine and then tumble dried to re-proof. It is totally waterproof and with the primaloft insulation it does not take long to dry it out in the tumble dryer. That is the beauty of primaloft as an insualtor rather than down which when gets wet takes ages to dry out.

Sizings are generous. I have an XXL jacket but am 6ft 4 and 18 stone. It fits me fine, but has room underneath for various layers of clothing and if its really cold i can wear a RAB down jacket underneath too.

All i can say is that it is a very good jacket and you will not be disappointed if you get one.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Muskie wrote: Sun Oct 31 2021 15:33 -
Simms are a USA company, but my jacket states it was made in China.

Build quality is very good. Mine has had heavy use in 3 years and the jacket has had no issues at all.

I have washed it twice in the washing machine and then tumble dried to re-proof. It is totally waterproof and with the primaloft insulation it does not take long to dry it out in the tumble dryer. That is the beauty of primaloft as an insualtor rather than down which when gets wet takes ages to dry out.

Sizings are generous. I have an XXL jacket but am 6ft 4 and 18 stone. It fits me fine, but has room underneath for various layers of clothing and if its really cold i can wear a RAB down jacket underneath too.

All i can say is that it is a very good jacket and you will not be disappointed if you get one.

Got one. Its being delivered today :grin:

Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

good good
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

First impressions of my new jacket.
A jacket that has clearly been designed for movement and comfort and obviously by someone who does actually go fishing.
The material is proper Goretex not a cheap copy. It is designed to fit over waders or a bib and brace.
The insulation makes it very light, the sleeves at 1/3 less than the body which is very sensible and ideal for regualr casting.
The two zip tackle pockets are bigger than anything I have seen on any other fishing jacket.
The hand warmer pockets are exactly where you want them to be eg; not up under your armpit.
The hood is not wired but it is large enough to go over a winter hat and has more adjusters than any other hood Ive used.

Bad - mine was only available in black and concrete/pale grey.
Good - found it at Uttings at under half price.

My thanks to the OP :handshake:

Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Im interested in this myself. Is it suited more for mobile fishing or will it keep you warm when stationary for long periods. Just trying to get an idea of What sort of temperatures the jacket itself keeps you warm to.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

It keeps me warm when stationary either standing in a reservoir fly fishing or sat down piking on the bank or in a boat.

If very active you will overheat even in autumn and winter.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mike F wrote: Wed Nov 03 2021 10:55 -
Im interested in this myself. Is it suited more for mobile fishing or will it keep you warm when stationary for long periods. Just trying to get an idea of What sort of temperatures the jacket itself keeps you warm to.

Wore mine yesterday for the first time.
Breeze and 5C, walking 250m to swim then static fishing in shade.
Underneath I wore the same 3 layers Ive worn for many winters with a Wilderness Jacket.
Despite being undone I overheated during the walk, not worn during the first hour, then the breeze increased and I needed a windproof jacket but never zipped it as I was still too warm.
It is clear I need to rethink what I wear under the jacket.

Praise - the cuffs are the most comfortable I ever had on an outdoor jacket.

Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Thanks Mike and Muskie! :handshake:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

If you are carrying large amounts of kit any distance then the jacket will cause you to overheat in late autumn or winter.

Today i barrowed my kit for a mile and then when at swim let myself cool down for 20 minutes and then wore jacket. If it was raining i would wear an unlined waterproof and then put the jacket on in the chosen swim.

I tend to wear a base layer fleece and an intermediate fleece with jacket whilst stationary. If its cold i will add a top fleece or if its below zero then i will substitute the top fleece for another primaloft type garment. All the time i am warm. If i am cold as soon as i put the jacket on i get warm.

I don't take an umbrella with me or any day shelter as i don't need to. The jacket keeps me warm and dry and i have goretex waders too so i can survive in some horrid conditions.

When trout fishing i will happily walk and wade all day with jacket on and base layer and intermediate fleece and again if its really cold i will add another layer.
bio-haul
Roach
Roach

Post by bio-haul »

As every 'breathable' jacket I've tried suffers the same inner condensation problem, can I ask you guys if this Simms is any better?
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

There seems to be two models of this jacket. On looking am I seeing two models or are there a few old models floating about ? That doesn’t worry me but I don’t really want to buy something only to find the new model / old model is better :narfuk: Looks like a great jacket though.
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

You won't go wrong with either jacket model. Mine has exposed zips on front pockets. Latest model has enclosed zips on front pockets £359 at Sportfish/Farlows. Sign up for their email and get 10% off 1st purchase. Worth getting

I have never experienced condensation inside a goretex jacket and not in the Bulkley either.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Muskie wrote: Mon Nov 08 2021 20:04 -
You won't go wrong with either jacket model. Mine has exposed zips on front pockets. Latest model has enclosed zips on front pockets £359 at Sportfish/Farlows. Sign up for their email and get 10% off 1st purchase. Worth getting

I have never experienced condensation inside a goretex jacket and not in the Bulkley either.
Cheers. I prefer the exposed zips, not sure the anodising on my reels will say the same though. The concrete colour looks great.