Braid - leader or not?

If you're a newcomer to Pike & Predator fishing and need advice, you can ask in here
DAN27
Stickleback
Stickleback

Braid - leader or not?

Post by DAN27 »

Hi
Not a novice when it comes to pike fishing but definitely with braid as I've always stuck with mono.

Question is when using braid do you fish it straight to a trace (lure or deadbait) or should a leader of mono etc be attached to the last 6ft say?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Re: Braid - leader or not?

Post by Brian Carragher »

Braid, snap swivel ,trace

Don't use leaders at all either baiting or lures, don't use them at sea either when I'm bouncing lead around of 1lb in weight, when at sea its braid, snap swivel,weight
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

DAN27 wrote: Sun Jan 09 2022 14:21 -
Hi
Not a novice when it comes to pike fishing but definitely with braid as I've always stuck with mono.

Question is when using braid do you fish it straight to a trace (lure or deadbait) or should a leader of mono etc be attached to the last 6ft say?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
For what purpose?

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Use braid by the equivalent dia as you would mono for bait fishing, so you'll be using 50-65lb

For large lures and jerk baits you'll be using 80-100lb braid to negate the need for leaders.
DAN27
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by DAN27 »

Cheers guys, really appreciated!
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

Usually go braid to trace but if there’s rocks etc I use 6m of 50 or 60lb mono and depending on drop offs etc I’ll use a small sunk float to lift the line away from the snags
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
giantlureguy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by giantlureguy »

For lure fishing, if you are in a area where there is a good chance that your braid will rub against rocks and stuff, it could be useful to have 2 meters of fluro or mono between the steel/titanium and the braid in order to protect the braid.

Otherwise, do not complicate stuff, attach the steel/titanium directly to your braid.