Foamy small/shallow water drifter.

Whatever you create or fettle in your respective Man Cave you can discuss here
Forum rules
This section of the forum is for sensible people to discuss ideas and display things they've designed, created or fixed, it is not for people to talk about filth, religion or politics!
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Foamy small/shallow water drifter.

Post by martin(rockape) »

I've made some 2 for my brother in law and 2 for me. I only had 2 line clips so with the other 2 drifters I cut the ends off 2 saftey pins of a suitable size and pushed them into the foam body close together, not tried them yet.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

davelumb wrote: Tue Feb 08 2022 11:22 -
Thanks chaps. All I have to do now is catch using it! :laughs:
Dave is the clip set a bit tighter than say on a drop off indicator to prevent accidental pull outs when mending the braid etc ?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

martin(rockape) wrote: Tue Mar 29 2022 21:08 -
I've made some 2 for my brother in law and 2 for me. I only had 2 line clips so with the other 2 drifters I cut the ends off 2 saftey pins of a suitable size and pushed them into the foam body close together, not tried them yet.

Regards

Martin
You could try pins pushed through hard plastic beads.
Nige Johns wrote: Tue Mar 29 2022 21:21 -
Dave is the clip set a bit tighter than say on a drop off indicator to prevent accidental pull outs when mending the braid etc ?
Tight enough to unclip on the strike, but not when controlling the line. Although I'm not convinced it can't be set tight enough to hold no matter what. I'll let you know when I've caught something using it! The main idea was to have it so I could swap from a bottom end float to a drifter without retackling.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 29 2022 21:28 -

Regards

Martin
Tight enough to unclip on the strike, but not when controlling the line. Although I'm not convinced it can't be set tight enough to hold no matter what. I'll let you know when I've caught something using it! The main idea was to have it so I could swap from a bottom end float to a drifter without retackling.
:thumbs: it looks like I've over complicated things :laughs: I didn't think of that.

Regards

Martin
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

martin(rockape) wrote: Tue Mar 29 2022 21:34 -

Regards

Martin
:thumbs: it looks like I've over complicated things :laughs: I didn't think of that.

Regards

Martin
I think the original design in Coarse Angler used round headed map pins into a balsa body, but they were too short when I tried them in the foam.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 29 2022 21:36 -
martin(rockape) wrote: Tue Mar 29 2022 21:34 -

Regards

Martin

Regards

Martin
I think the original design in Coarse Angler used round headed map pins into a balsa body, but they were too short when I tried them in the foam.
Will look in the wifes sewing box as i think there might be pins with round plastic heads on them, failing that beads as you say with pins (picture hanging pins with big heads)

Regards

Martin
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 29 2022 19:23 -
Mike F wrote: Tue Mar 29 2022 19:18 -
Where do you get your foam eggs from Dave?
Eddie Turner or Catfish Pro. Depending on what else I might want and which has them in stock. They're the same eggs.
Some great ideas there, bring back memories of making stuff

when I did my drifters I made them with a bullet at the bottom, semi self cockers ,

found them more stable in the wind
Timothy edwards
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

horseshoe3 wrote: Mon May 09 2022 16:21 -
Eddie Turner or Catfish Pro. Depending on what else I might want and which has them in stock. They're the same eggs.

when I did my drifters I made them with a bullet at the bottom, semi self cockers ,

:thumbs:
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

davelumb wrote: Mon May 09 2022 16:31 -

Never heard or seen a bacon box, but thay look great for bits, thanks chaps
Timothy edwards
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

See a video on YouTube by chance and a chap has done the very same, i might just see if i can araldite some egg sinkers to the cane stem i have to accomplish the same.

Regards

Martin
Adam F
Perch
Perch

Post by Adam F »

Fantastic stuff Dave. I’ll be knocking up a couple of drifters of my own this summer now!
Adam Ford - Pike fanatic!
horseshoe3
Barbel
Barbel

Post by horseshoe3 »

Adam F wrote: Tue May 10 2022 20:40 -
Fantastic stuff Dave. I’ll be knocking up a couple of drifters of my own this summer now!
Timothy edwards