Replicating chinese takeaway

A place to discuss your favourite tipple, bank side fodder, BBQ, smokers and anything else that tickles your taste buds
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Replicating chinese takeaway

Post by Andrew »

Starting to get really good at it.

Been doing chowmein for a while (bean sprouts and egg noodles)

Was never really that great. A little bland even with soy sauce in it. The trick was a really good bit of oyster sauce that really made it taste more like my local chinese.

Tesco been doing a box of egg noodles for Β£1 and a large bag of mixed cabbage,onion,bean sprouts and carrots for around Β£1.25 if I recall

Also found the curry paste mike j recommended, hidden away 3 aisles away from other chinese sauces etc. Needs a dash of vinegar and oyster sauce though imo.

Also getting pretty good with the egg fried rice too using those microwave packets made by tilda except fried not microwaved, add yer own egg and a little oyster sauce.

Oyster sauce was the one thing missing from all of this as you see πŸ˜…

Could feed 3-4 people for under a fiver, discounting the sauces as they last ages. Its ridiculous. Left over pork or chicken gets flung in too.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Replicating chinese takeaway

Post by Happy Hayes »

I must admit that I do like doing my own stir fry
Put whatever you like in the wok ,add peppers,onions ,mushrooms mixed veg etc and a jar of uncle Bens stir fry sauce.
Do some bean sprouts and noodles
Job done .
Regards
Tom
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Another quick one ,a bag of Singapore noodles , prawns , soy sauce ( haven’t tried oyster sauce)
In the wok .cook for a few minutes.
Quick/easy and tasty
Regards
Tom
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Happy Hayes wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18 2022 18:20 -
Another quick one ,a bag of Singapore noodles , prawns , soy sauce ( haven’t tried oyster sauce)
Quick/easy and tasty
Regards
Tom
Oyster sauce gives it a savoury sweet earthy taste not "fishy'ish" like you might think.

I always thought it was the soy sauce that gave chinese chow mein its darker color but no its the oyster sauce and a little soy... i think. I now use very little soy sauce and more oyster sauce. Either way I like it.

Sharwoods was the only one I could find. It's got consistency of syrup. Defo try that with your noodles. Less soy, more oyster
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18 2022 18:26 -
Quick/easy and tasty
Regards
Tom
Oyster sauce gives it a savoury sweet earthy taste not "fishy'ish" like you might think.

I always thought it was the soy sauce that gave chinese chow mein its darker color but no its the oyster sauce and a little soy... i think. I now use very little soy sauce and more oyster sauce. Either way I like it.

Sharwoods was the only one I could find. It's got consistency of syrup. Defo try that with your noodles. Less soy, more oyster
Cheers Andrew
I’ll keep my eye out for the oyster sauce next time I’m out shopping.
Regards
Tom
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18 2022 17:44 -

Was never really that great. A little bland even with soy sauce in it. The trick was a really good bit of oyster sauce that really made it taste more like my local chinese.

Tesco been doing a box of egg noodles for Β£1 and a large bag of mixed cabbage,onion,bean sprouts and carrots for around Β£1.25 if I recall

Also found the curry paste mike j recommended, hidden away 3 aisles away from other chinese sauces etc. Needs a dash of vinegar and oyster sauce though imo.

Also getting pretty good with the egg fried rice too using those microwave packets made by tilda except fried not microwaved, add yer own egg and a little oyster sauce.

Could feed 3-4 people for under a fiver, discounting the sauces as they last ages. Its ridiculous. Left over pork or chicken gets flung in too.
Moved on from deep fried mars bars then :laughs: :wink:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18 2022 18:42 -

Never tried that s***e. It's something dreamed up to fool you lot. Never met a c**t in my life who's had a deep fried mars bar :laughs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18 2022 18:55 -

Never tried that s***e. It's something dreamed up to fool you lot. Never met a c**t in my life who's had a deep fried mars bar :laughs:
Bullshit :roll: we all know you live on deep fried mars bars and Buckfast :laughs:

And Haggis when you're on a diet :wink:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18 2022 23:07 -
Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18 2022 18:55 -

Bullshit :roll: we all know you live on deep fried mars bars and Buckfast :laughs:

And Haggis when you're on a diet :wink:
oh I do love haggis. A battered and deep fried haggis on a roll is a proper treat :thumbs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Quick/easy and tasty
Regards
Tom

Interesting. I've always used soy and thai fish sauce. Might have to give the oyster sauce a go, but I'm a bit wary after trying black bean sauce. That stuff smells like a topical ointment, not something that you should eat :sick:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 09:26 -
Quick/easy and tasty
Regards
Tom

Interesting. I've always used soy and thai fish sauce. Might have to give the oyster sauce a go, but I'm a bit wary after trying black bean sauce. That stuff smells like a topical ointment, not something that you should eat :sick:
I was of the thinking "oysters? Surely this going to reak of something fishy, prawny like or.... something overpowering like that"

Thing is its not all oyster. it's just got oyster extract and really wasnt what I was expecting at all. Not even that much of a smell off it either really.

Definitely the missing piece of the puzzle and turned bland egg noodles in to something tasty. before I'd be like "these still dont taste right must need more soy sauce"
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

I canny believe you're using Sharwoods oyster sauce mate! :eek:
You live a few minutes walk away from the best Chinese supermarkets in Scotland!
Give your palate a treat and get your sauces from there! Lee Kum Kee is a great brand.
And you'll get all your noodle requirements in those supermarkets innaw!
:thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

gus666 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 12:30 -
You live a few minutes walk away from the best Chinese supermarkets in Scotland!
Give your palate a treat and get your sauces from there! Lee Kum Kee is a great brand.
heed up ma a**e buddy, china town and sea woo :dizzy: that didn't even bloody occur to me :laughs:

hangs head in shame face
gus666
Zander
Zander
Location: Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a toon surpasses, For Honest Men and bonnie lassies...

Post by gus666 »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 12:44 -
gus666 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 19 2022 12:30 -
heed up ma a**e buddy, china town and sea woo :dizzy: that didn't even bloody occur to me :laughs:

hangs head in shame face
Don't forget Limms on Cambridge Street!
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Try cooking your own rice for making fried rice, instead of the packets, but cook it in chicken stock (or vegetable if you're feeding a vegetarian) instead of water. Rinse it and let it dry before frying.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andrew, keep your eyes open Lee Kum Kee do offers, buy two different sauces and get another for free. Most Chinese supermarkets have websites you can join and they will send you all the latest offers.
The very best Soy is Kikkoman, its from Japan and has a better flavour. Of the Chinese varieties Pearl Bridge is way above the other brands. Mix 50/50 dark and light for a less salty taste. Check the sell buy date if buying from Chinese shops they often do not removed old stock from the shelves.
A useful addition to your pantry is a jar of Chilli Oil, it has lumps in it and needs a shake before opening. Another to look out for is a pack of Black Beans, open and keep the beans in a screw top jar, soak in warm water before using, and add some to the Chilli oil when there is room.

For an unlikely surprise, chop up some runner beans and fry in a little oil adding a teaspoon of white sugar as you do so, stirfry until they start to blacken then remove and add to your fried rice, they are delicious!

The Chinese use what they call a Mother Stock in many of their dishes, it is the ingredient that makes the dishes difficult for is to replicate at home. It is made by boiling a whole chicken in plain water, the flesh they use in various dishes (its why it always looks so pale) the water makes the stock, the stock Zodie refers to in his post.
Never done it with a whole chicken, I just boil the bones of legs or thighs and keep it in the freezer.

:stew:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Getting closer to how my local does it. Got some cheapo dried egg noodle nests. Simmered 1 for myself, drained and rinsed, dried off a little in the warm pan they just came out. Literally 1 tea spoon of sesame oil to coat and stop noodles sticking and clumping together, straight in the pan with bean sprouts then soy and oyster sauce. Sesame oil is pungent like wtf is that all about, I really dont like the smell it's weird 🧐 tastes great though
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Got some Oyster Sauce today after reading this thread. You're right, Crofty, it doesn't smell fishy at all! :suspect:

It's odd how the ingredients often don't seem like they should work in isolation, but when added to the dish they do!

Shrimp paste, for example, smells truly bloody awful but absolutely transforms a pad thai. As does fish sauce, another one that doesn't smell very appetising on its own.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mike J wrote: ↑Sun Apr 24 2022 11:11 -
The Chinese use what they call a Mother Stock in many of their dishes, it is the ingredient that makes the dishes difficult for is to replicate at home. It is made by boiling a whole chicken in plain water, the flesh they use in various dishes (its why it always looks so pale) the water makes the stock, the stock Zodie refers to in his post.
Never done it with a whole chicken, I just boil the bones of legs or thighs and keep it in the freezer.

They also use cod heads, as I found out by accident. I asked my local fishmonger for some to chop up as pre-bait years ago and he said he'd have them, but I'd have to get there early or they'd all be snapped up by the Chinese.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Wed May 04 2022 20:59 -
Got some Oyster Sauce today after reading this thread. You're right, Crofty, it doesn't smell fishy at all! :suspect:

It's odd how the ingredients often don't seem like they should work in isolation, but when added to the dish they do!

Shrimp paste, for example, smells truly bloody awful but absolutely transforms a pad thai. As does fish sauce, another one that doesn't smell very appetising on its own.
I think I've settled on 2 table spoons of oyster sauce per single portion of bean sprouts and noodles.

Was too salty today though πŸ€” so going to try light soy sauce next time.

Definitely a teaspoon of sesame oil. Its bizarre in the same way that it's kinda repulsive but at same time its not too bad. Bit like how one can enjoy ones own farts πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Wed May 04 2022 21:04 -

They also use cod heads, as I found out by accident. I asked my local fishmonger for some to chop up as pre-bait years ago and he said he'd have them, but I'd have to get there early or they'd all be snapped up by the Chinese.

During the Zander cull some anglers would do an exchange for takeaways.

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Wed May 04 2022 21:14 -
[quote="Steve Dennington" post_id=729336 time=<a href="tel:1651694397">1651694397</a> user_id=228]

Dark soy is more salty than light but for the least salt and far superior flavour Kikkoman Soy cannot be beaten.
I drizzle pure sesame onto the finished dish before eating.

Advice for a Chinese friend "take care when buying ingredients, a lot of it is bulked out". I was looking for minced garlic and asked him why it spat when put in the hot oil. (little actual garlic, mostly rice flour and water).

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu May 05 2022 09:40 -
Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Wed May 04 2022 21:04 -

During the Zander cull some anglers would do an exchange for takeaways.

[quote="Steve Dennington" post_id=729336 time=<a href="tel:1651694397">1651694397</a> user_id=228]

Dark soy is more salty than light but for the least salt and far superior flavour Kikkoman Soy cannot be beaten.
I drizzle pure sesame onto the finished dish before eating.

Advice for a Chinese friend "take care when buying ingredients, a lot of it is bulked out". I was looking for minced garlic and asked him why it spat when put in the hot oil. (little actual garlic, mostly rice flour and water).

I can remember lads taking carrier bags full of eels and flounders to the local Chinese when we where boys,in exchange for a couple trays of curry chips
gus666
Zander
Zander

Post by gus666 »

Steve Dennington wrote: ↑Wed May 04 2022 20:59 -

I think I've settled on 2 table spoons of oyster sauce per single portion of bean sprouts and noodles.

Was too salty today though πŸ€” so going to try light soy sauce next time.

Definitely a teaspoon of sesame oil. Its bizarre in the same way that it's kinda repulsive but at same time its not too bad. Bit like how one can enjoy ones own farts πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
Andy
The wee wummin in Limms (I think she's married to the owner) told me there's a sesame flavoured oil and pure sesame oil. Pure stuff is dearer but you only need a tiny amount. It would probably be too expensive and toocstrong to use to stop noodles sticking together though.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Think I overdone it with the oyster sauce today. I swear to God I can smell it coming out my pores stronger than it came out the bottle. I tell ya, my farts dont smell of Rose's either 🀒
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andrew Croft wrote: ↑Sun Jul 03 2022 00:36 -
Think I overdone it with the oyster sauce today. I swear to God I can smell it coming out my pores stronger than it came out the bottle. I tell ya, my farts dont smell of Rose's either 🀒

Whoooh, two spoons of oyster is far to much for a single helping, a level teaspoon is easily sufficient.
If you buy the Kum Lee it can be used without cooking, so you can always add a bit more. If you eat genuine Chinese some of their dishes like steamed Pak Choy they just dribble it over prior to serving.

The pure sesame oil is the one to buy, drizzle over the finished dish about 10-12 drops is all you need. Don't add it to your noodles, they should be cooked on a rolling boil and stirred with chopsticks or a fork to stop them sticking together.

As a guide I use 3 bottles of Light Soy to every 1 of Dark, for every 2 of Light I use 1 Rice Wine.

Do you use the Yin and Yang - a pinch of salt and a dash of sugar at the end? If not try and see how it improves your dishes.

piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Jul 07 2022 11:57 -

Whoooh, two spoons of oyster is far to much for a single helping, a level teaspoon is easily sufficient.
If you buy the Kum Lee it can be used without cooking, so you can always add a bit more. If you eat genuine Chinese some of their dishes like steamed Pak Choy they just dribble it over prior to serving.

The pure sesame oil is the one to buy, drizzle over the finished dish about 10-12 drops is all you need. Don't add it to your noodles, they should be cooked on a rolling boil and stirred with chopsticks or a fork to stop them sticking together.

As a guide I use 3 bottles of Light Soy to every 1 of Dark, for every 2 of Light I use 1 Rice Wine.

Do you use the Yin and Yang - a pinch of salt and a dash of sugar at the end? If not try and see how it improves your dishes.

Bet u make some great scran Mike I love chinese :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

piker al wrote: ↑Sat Jul 16 2022 08:00 -
Mike J wrote: ↑Thu Jul 07 2022 11:57 -

Bet u make some great scran Mike I love chinese :thumbs:
Being from the South I had to look up scran to see if it was a typo or something genuine.
Great, well all I can say is those who eat my dishes have never once complained. Even been asked to be a guest Chef a few times, but the only time I did it was for an angling dinner, finding a pot to take loadsa chicken was the hardest part.
I am hoping to be a chef in my next life. :laughs:

Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Getting closer guys!!! :laughs:

Chicken marinated in light soy, little dark soy for color. Fried in veg oil with spring onions and mushrooms. Set aside.

sesame oil for frying the noodles and bean sprouts, Oyster sauce, a dash of dark soy sauce, a good helping of light soy sauce and a knuckle full of sugar believe it or not, just another piece of the puzzle. Before it's ready toss in chicken mushrooms and spring onions.

Heres the thing though. Bought a packet of blue dragon chowmein stir fry sauce 50p at tesco. It was extremely bland but adds the right kind of texture and to bulk up the above ingredients without using a s**t ton of soy and oyster sauce. A little light chicken gravy might do the job in its place πŸ€”
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

100% need some MSG in there Crofty, you also need to use boiled chicken. These guys are the best Chinese cooking guides on YouTube closely followed by Jeremy and his colleagues on the second link πŸ‘πŸΌ

Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

You can use Maggi Liquid Seasoning which is basically liquid MSG if you don’t want to use the raw version.

MSG is essential for that Umami note in a Chinese dish.