Nest box

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nest box

Post by davelumb »

Second spring running house sparrows have used one of my nest boxes.

:smile:
_3008336.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Nest box

Post by Mike J »

They prefer to nest in colonies.
If you make a couple more boxes and put them alongside they will soon be occupied, if not this then certainly next year.
Make the new boxes with the holes on the sides, they like it better that way.

My blackie is now feeding its second brood, both parents are now so tame it will search for food within a yard of me. Lovely time of the year.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've been surprised that sparrows have used this box TBH. I've been meaning to put a sparrow colony box up on the side of the house for ages. Must do it for next year.

There's a young blackbird fending for itself now. Hopefully the parents will have another brood.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Don’t encourage the vermin. You’ll never get any decent birds in the garden if it’s over run with them things.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun May 22 2022 11:16 -
Don’t encourage the vermin. You’ll never get any decent birds in the garden if it’s over run with them things.
I like sparrows. :tongues:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sun May 22 2022 11:16 -

The vermin as you call them I actually like to see around, that why I don't mind that they cost me a 20kg sack of white millet every few months. The £22/sack is my contribution to supporting the local farmers who grow it.

There used to be a lot of maggies which would target the fledglings but they seem to have disappeared over the winter so now every pair is raising its families to adulthood. (Soon to be asking where the nearest grain store is :laughs: )

The last decent bird I saw was........ :scratch:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

Interesting Dave, I put up a box in my front yard to get the blue t*ts interested, they showed a bit of interest a few years back but were never successful in raising a brood.
When I lived in the Fens we had Swallows every year nesting under the soffit, messy but great to watch..
20220523_123401.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

This is the third year my box has been up. First year blue t*ts raised a brood, last year and this it's been sparrows. I put another on a tree and blue t*ts used that the first year, not sure what happened last year and this year it's got overgrown with ivy, so I'll relocate it. Next door have ad great t*ts raise broods in theirs last year and this.
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

I think mine is located in a place that doesn't quite suit, there is a footpath (not public) the other side of the fence and u am forever gorging at them through the patio doors..
Ray Brown.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

My nest box in on the corner of the garage, with the clothes line attached almost directly above it. It's at the other end to the garage side door but I'm in and out of that a lot. Hasn't bothered them so far.

It's strange because years ago I had a nest box there that everything ignored. So maybe it's the box?
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

Yes, could be the box, I am going to put a feeder up on the same wall to see if the attraction of food makes a difference..
Ray Brown.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The Blues have looked at my boxes every year but never once have they chose to stay.
The blackies second brood have flown the nest, the pigeons have been successful for the first time in years as have the sparrows. The only difference from previous years is there are very very few magpies.

I have goldcrests visiting each winter but they never stay around even though there are conifers available.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Sparrows feeding a second brood in the box. :thumbs:

Blackbirds gathering food for their second lot.

Two young hedgehogs in the garden last night.

Saw a young song thrush in the garden a couple of times last week.

Next door has a robin nesting in a hanging basket.

Seems to have been a good breeding season this year.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Sat Jun 18 2022 08:12 -
Sparrows feeding a second brood in the box. :thumbs:

Blackbirds gathering food for their second lot.

Two young hedgehogs in the garden last night.

Saw a young song thrush in the garden a couple of times last week.

Next door has a robin nesting in a hanging basket.

Seems to have been a good breeding season this year.

Excellent. Your obviously a bit behind down here.
I have a brood of little hedgies under a big evergreen bush in the front garden, the neighbours cat has been trying to ambush them because it cant get underneath as its filled with rose prunings that Ive shoved underneath for years. The stick is by the front door for the next time it tries. :hammer:

In shade its 29C in the garden right now, soft, Im in my Aussie beach shirt :cool:

chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Our blue t*ts abandoned the box. That's the 2nd year running, at least this year the chicks hadn't hatched!
As much as I want to, and like to, provide a box, I might have to take it down. It seems unfair to waste their efforts if the garden isn't a suitable environment for them to reach fledging😢
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

chrisG wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 17:33 -
Our blue t*ts abandoned the box. That's the 2nd year running, at least this year the chicks hadn't hatched!
As much as I want to, and like to, provide a box, I might have to take it down. It seems unfair to waste their efforts if the garden isn't a suitable environment for them to reach fledging😢
That's a shame. I wonder why they aren't succeeding?
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Just a small garden, with me n the Mrs in and out, plus a yappy border terrier I guess!!! I just don't know why they bother starting though??
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

chrisG wrote: Wed Jun 22 2022 19:37 -
Just a small garden, with me n the Mrs in and out, plus a yappy border terrier I guess!!! I just don't know why they bother starting though??
It is strange why they start then abandon nests. It's possible they've gone elsewhere and done OK.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

It could be the location, cool and shady when they first decide its suitable to raise a brood but as the weeks pass perhaps the sun gets onto it and heats it up to much. They want cool and shade, but not wet. The dog shouldn't bother them, Ive found nest alongside footpaths that are used in constant use.
Chicks will die of they are fed greenfly that have been sprayed, learnt this at home when my father sprayed his roses and wiped out the first nest box I ever put up.

Keep at it, they obviously like your garden which is half the answer.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Thu Jun 23 2022 10:36 -

It could be the location, cool and shady when they first decide its suitable to raise a brood but as the weeks pass perhaps the sun gets onto it and heats it up to much. They want cool and shade, but not wet. The dog shouldn't bother them, Ive found nest alongside footpaths that are used in constant use.
Chicks will die of they are fed greenfly that have been sprayed, learnt this at home when my father sprayed his roses and wiped out the first nest box I ever put up.

There's another head scratcher with my nest box. Years ago I put one up in the same place but nothing ever used it. I thought it might be =because it faces roughly west so gets the sun all morning. But this new box, which I put in the same place simply to make use of the Rawlplug in the wall from last time, has been used since it went up in 2019. :shrug:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Thu Jun 23 2022 11:31 -

There's another head scratcher with my nest box. Years ago I put one up in the same place but nothing ever used it. I thought it might be =because it faces roughly west so gets the sun all morning. But this new box, which I put in the same place simply to make use of the Rawlplug in the wall from last time, has been used since it went up in 2019. :shrug:
Ageed.
My neighbour had a long standing nest site behind a loose tile, it was in full sun 6-8hours a day, the birds loved it. When the chicks flew the stupid house owners had the tile secured because they didn't like the noise the chicks made.
Perhaps selection is random or perhaps even Darwinism :scratch:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Thu Jun 23 2022 11:42 -

Ageed.
My neighbour had a long standing nest site behind a loose tile, it was in full sun 6-8hours a day, the birds loved it. When the chicks flew the stupid house owners had the tile secured because they didn't like the noise the chicks made.

Sparrows used to nest under some loose lead flashing on my roof which faces south.
DSC_0067.jpg
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Thu Jun 23 2022 11:50 -
Mike J wrote: Thu Jun 23 2022 11:42 -

Ageed.

Sparrows used to nest under some loose lead flashing on my roof which faces south.

DSC_0067.jpg

Many times Ive seen them nesting in the twigs below storks nests. Big flesh eating chicks above their heads and noise of their beaks snapping that will wake the dead, they don't seem to care.
Will try and find some pics.

Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

davelumb wrote: Sun May 22 2022 10:47 -
I've been surprised that sparrows have used this box TBH. I've been meaning to put a sparrow colony box up on the side of the house for ages. Must do it for next year.

There's a young blackbird fending for itself now. Hopefully the parents will have another brood.

I do well with sparrrows Dave, but interested in the idea of a colony box... do you have dimensions/material/positioning info?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jun 24 2022 09:14 -
davelumb wrote: Sun May 22 2022 10:47 -

I do well with sparrrows Dave, but interested in the idea of a colony box... do you have dimensions/material/positioning info?
I've never got beyond Googling them, Stew. :red:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Ok ... will have a look later, intrigued as find sparrows are gregarious groups with lots going on, would be nice to encourage more around the property. Will post my finding in reference to boxes
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jun 24 2022 09:23 -
Ok ... will have a look later, intrigued as find sparrows are gregarious groups with lots going on, would be nice to encourage more around the property. Will post my finding in reference to boxes

I have a colony box under my fig tree. It was made by local Wildlife Trust volunteers.
It didn't please my sparrows who have continued to make their nests in the hedge, now on their third brood.

The design is three normal sized nest boxes built as a single unit, the only difference is each box has the entry hole facing a different direction ie; the end boxes face sideways the one in the middle straight out, The lid, the back, front and base are single pieces of wood, construction is screwed.
I will post a pic when it stops raining.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jun 24 2022 10:23 -

I have a colony box under my fig tree. It was made by local Wildlife Trust volunteers.
It didn't please my sparrows who have continued to make their nests in the hedge, now on their third brood.

The design is three normal sized nest boxes built as a single unit, the only difference is each box has the entry hole facing a different direction ie; the end boxes face sideways the one in the middle straight out, The lid, the back, front and base are single pieces of wood, construction is screwed.

That' like the ones I haev seen online.

My new plan is to put two or three single boxes (made by a 'well man' project) near the one that's being used - but not right next to it.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Fri Jun 24 2022 10:42 -

My new plan is to put two or three single boxes (made by a 'well man' project) near the one that's being used - but not right next to it.

If you look at Avon Diary you will see pics of the side of John's house fitted with lines of nest boxes, starlings, sparrows and swifts all happily nesting side by side.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jun 24 2022 10:58 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Jun 24 2022 10:42 -

If you look at Avon Diary you will see pics of the side of John's house fitted with lines of nest boxes, starlings, sparrows and swifts all happily nesting side by side.

:thumbs: