A soddin 3lb bream :laughs:
Going home if I catch any more :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: First fish

Post by Mike J »

I hope you have a good day.
Remember every fish is a bonus even if its a snotty, one day it may be the only fish we can catch.

:handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 08:49 -
Remember every fish is a bonus even if its a snotty, one day it may be the only fish we can catch.

Had another bream and moved swims. Score is barbel 1...kev 0
The feckers are on their second spawn (spawned end April)
Both barbel and chub thrashing in the shallow gravels
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 11:51 -

That has always been the ridiculous aspect of the close season. A lot of species spawn well outside those dates (even though we know its imposition had nothing to do with protecting spawning fish anyway).
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 12:10 -

That has always been the ridiculous aspect of the close season. A lot of species spawn well outside those dates (even though we know its imposition had nothing to do with protecting spawning fish anyway).

Had that conversation yesterday, the Barbel on my local river are spawning again. But the local anglers with there deck chairs, cans of K Cider are out today targeting them.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

The close season is a compromise Steve. It catches most fish.
We electro fished for barbel and chub end of may. Half of them had spawned already. Those taken away spawned in the tanks 2 days later without any hormone injection.
6 weeks later they spawning again...they dont empty all out on first spawning....safety for in case of floods washing fry/eggs away.
The chib will probably spawn again in july. Latest Ive seen is chub and dace spawning in September on the Terence.
Anybody ever caught a pike filled with 30mm fry in December (still water)?
Was a regular occurence on the old American Adventure pits near Heanor (none left now)
So what do we want? A close season from mid april to December?
Leave it as is
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Leave it as is
Do away with it all together.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 16:09 -
Leave it as is
Exactly that, Dave :thumbs:

The opportunity was there, but gullible (albeit well-meaning) anglers voted to keep the close season "for the benefit of the fish". Did anyone witness the awful effects that were predicted post-1995 when the close was abolished on stillwaters? Doomsday predictions and then everything carried on exactly as it did before. Same would be the case on rivers and I doubt we'll get another opportunity to get it scrapped :no:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 18:13 -
Leave it as is
Exactly that, Dave :thumbs:

The opportunity was there, but gullible (albeit well-meaning) anglers voted to keep the close season "for the benefit of the fish". Did anyone witness the awful effects that were predicted post-1995 when the close was abolished on stillwaters? Doomsday predictions and then everything carried on exactly as it did before. Same would be the case on rivers and I doubt we'll get another opportunity to get it scrapped :no:
Ive no doubt the vote was rigged...the EA wanted to keep the close season.
Maybe we should do away with shooting seasons, salmon fishing seasons, and all the others just to suit those who want to do whatever they want.
Sheffield anglers wanted a close season (fenced dates) first.
Then London. There was a clash of months both wanted and the difference was split so we have mid march..mid june.
It was passed through parliament 1878.
It was encouraged by the then fisheries board .
By the time it went through parliament it had ceased to be about protecting coarse fish while spawning as the river boards saw it as a way to tackle game poaching.
Back in those days coarse fish were "vermin". Everyone killed or ate what they caught.
However...the "fenced" months gave the fisheries boards a way of prosecuting poachers of brown trout and salmon by nets, poison etc.
A body of a salmon/trout had to be produced as evidence. No salmon, no arrests.
Coarse fish in nets or poisoned didnt matter as no one was bothered much.
However now there was a "closed" season for coarse fish, which now meant possession of netted/poisoned or intent to take coarse fish was an offence, the game poachers could be dealt with.

And thats probably why the EA wont have a closed season...it still gives them a reason to arrest game poachers even if they dont have any salmon/trout.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 21:40 -
Maybe we should do away with shooting seasons, salmon fishing seasons, and all the others just to suit those who want to do whatever they want.
Then London. There was a clash of months both wanted and the difference was split so we have mid march..mid june.
By the time it went through parliament it had ceased to be about protecting coarse fish while spawning as the river boards saw it as a way to tackle game poaching.
Back in those days coarse fish were "vermin". Everyone killed or ate what they caught.
However...the "fenced" months gave the fisheries boards a way of prosecuting poachers of brown trout and salmon by nets, poison etc.
However now there was a "closed" season for coarse fish, which now meant possession of netted/poisoned or intent to take coarse fish was an offence, the game poachers could be dealt with.

And thats probably why the EA wont have a closed season...it still gives them a reason to arrest game poachers even if they dont have any salmon/trout.
So, you agree that it's a pointless restriction regarding spawning coarse fish, yet still wished to retain it?
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve Dennington wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 22:38 -
Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 21:40 -

So, you agree that it's a pointless restriction regarding spawning coarse fish, yet still wished to retain it?
Originally to stop over exploitation of fish stocks while spawning.
I see no difference today between fish taken in the past and hammered everyday.
Im 66 now...that buzz on getting ready for 16th June is still the same.
The fish need a rest as some places are hammered.
I would like to see a floating close season for individual rivers as and when needed PLUS an automatic lock down when river temps reach a certain temperature.
At the moment ot covers most fish and their initial spawning
Hot or cold springs can accelerate or hold back spawning.
Unfortunately a changeable date just wouldnt work as there are too many thick t***s
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 23:50 -
Nail on head, Kev. Some places are hammered. Does that justify a blanket ban on all river fishing nationwide because some places, like a certain weir on your local river, are pummelled 24/7?
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I use my mates log in to view a well known Barbel fishing forum. The poor little loves are moaning about stinging nettle beds and the rivers overgrown at this time of year, bless them.

I would have thought with the temps being very high in the south at present they would hold fire until it cools down from next week. This is one problem with the close season, people are champing at the bit to get out, restraint goes out of the window.

Tomorrow I'll be fishing for Dace and Roach very early about 0500.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 00:10 -
Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 23:50 -
Nail on head, Kev. Some places are hammered. Does that justify a blanket ban on all river fishing nationwide because some places, like a certain weir on your local river, are pummelled 24/7?
I dont know Steve. Its easy to police if its a set date, and it does encompass most spawnings.
In the bigger picture what ammo would it give the anti angling brigade if we did away with it?
Nothing much was made of it when it was dropped for stillwaters over 30 years ago...but today we have the eco w*****s on full alert.
I can find other forms of angling to do in the close season.
The dropping of still water close season did immense damage to trout fishing.
It might make a few quid for tackle dealers....but I didnt find it made much difference when the season opened...the river anglers become puddle chuckers in the close season and just changed rods and bought different bait.
I dont think the format of the close season will change anytime soon no matter how many want it dropped.
Anyhow....how you going to get brownie points doing all the diy jobs in the close season if there isnt one :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 07:58 -
I use my mates log in to view a well known Barbel fishing forum. The poor little loves are moaning about stinging nettle beds and the rivers overgrown at this time of year, bless them.

I would have thought with the temps being very high in the south at present they would hold fire until it cools down from next week. This is one problem with the close season, people are champing at the bit to get out, restraint goes out of the window.

If there was no close season on rivers the pressure would build gradually as the weather improved through spring. There'd be no mad rush and a busy two weeks before thinsg settled down.

I still can't understand why stillwater fish don't need a close season if river fish do though. I know there was an argument that river fish congregate in certain areas (so do still water fish) and anglers would target them. But you can't catch spawning fish. The whole thing defies logic. Maybe it was the game faction still wanting the rivers to themselves after all those years!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Jun 16 2022 15:44 -

The close season is a compromise Steve. It catches most fish.
We electro fished for barbel and chub end of may. Half of them had spawned already. Those taken away spawned in the tanks 2 days later without any hormone injection.
6 weeks later they spawning again...they dont empty all out on first spawning....safety for in case of floods washing fry/eggs away.
The chib will probably spawn again in july. Latest Ive seen is chub and dace spawning in September on the Terence.
Anybody ever caught a pike filled with 30mm fry in December (still water)?
Was a regular occurence on the old American Adventure pits near Heanor (none left now)
So what do we want? A close season from mid april to December?
Leave it as is
Spot on Kev! 👍
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 08:21 -

If there was no close season on rivers the pressure would build gradually as the weather improved through spring. There'd be no mad rush and a busy two weeks before thinsg settled down.

I still can't understand why stillwater fish don't need a close season if river fish do though. I know there was an argument that river fish congregate in certain areas (so do still water fish) and anglers would target them. But you can't catch spawning fish. The whole thing defies logic. Maybe it was the game faction still wanting the rivers to themselves after all those years!

Let's be honest, if I was fishing a Devon Minnow down and across, I would not want Dagenham Dave and his mates spombing pellets in near me 😃
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Leave it as is

NO NO NO !
The close season coincides with the main breeding period for birds.
Any suggestion by anglers of no close season that would be like giving ammo to the Russians.

The removal of the stillwater season was based on capitalism "I dug my carp puddle, filled it with pasties and now I want an income all year round"

Game fishing a not static, it causes less disturbance to breeding birds and why many riverine environments are SACs SSSIs.

Last edited by Mike J on Fri Jun 17 2022 09:13, edited 3 times in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 08:33 -

Let's be honest, if I was fishing a Devon Minnow down and across, I would not want Dagenham Dave and his mates spombing pellets in near me 😃
There's only one thing worse than a toff. A wannabe toff. :tongues: :joker:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 09:04 -

I have a Gurkha to carry my Kelly Kettle. :rasp:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 09:22 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 09:04 -

I have a Gurkha to carry my Kelly Kettle. :rasp:
Are the new plastic tenners as good as the paper ones for lighting the Kelly kettle?
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Jun 17 2022 08:14 -
Anyhow....how you going to get brownie points doing all the diy jobs in the close season if there isnt one :wink:
That's another commonly stated reason for retaining the close season, "I need a rest", "I need the break to get stuff done". It's like people have no choice but to go fishing unless it's deemed illegal to do so for three months! Why people can't just get on with their DIY whilst others go to the river and fish is beyond me.

As Dave rightly says, you can't catch spawning fish. They have their mind firmly on other things.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

The close season is detrimental to wildfowl IMO. I've stated my reasons on here before but here goes again.

We abandon the rivers in March (dog walkers and ramblers don't), wildfowl settle into areas that we may use as a fishing area for a few weeks, we come along on the 16th of June and trample all over their habitat.

No closed season;

We're there year round, wildfowl avoid those particular areas that are popular with anglers because they learn to associate them with men with long sticks so they inhabit other parts of the river bank that are far more difficult for us to reach.

The closed season is the biggest load of b******s ever thought up!